Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

Shrimp

Arbiter
That's quite the tale. I knew there were some oddballs among the creators of those HISTORICALLY ACCURATE™ mods but this really seems to be on another level. I wonder what his plan was.

lightbane

Arcane
Lol, even historically accurate mods attracts crazies it seems. Is EB2 better then gameplay-wise and such?

A horse of course

A lot of these mods that claim to be "historically accurate" are just using meaningless buzzwords, the team are frequently just regular morons who like reading wikipedia articles and watch Kings and Generals/Invicta/Shadiversity too much.

Don't get me wrong, there are people with a good deal of knowledge of history involved in TW modding. But "qualified historian" and "autistic, unemployed TW modder" do not exactly overlap overmuch on Venn diagrams. The best you can hope for is typically modders with a relevant undergraduate degree and/or very dedicated hobbyists.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I never tried EB2 myself since I remember reading TWCenter posts stating that it was a bit buggy at its initial release. Without actually having played it I imagine the biggest difference is the M2 engine allowing for more factions, scripts etc.
It makes me curious to see what people will end up doing with the Rome Remastered engine since Feral supposedly has tried to add better mod support by lifting many of the old hardcoded limitations.
I've seen modders do some pretty impressive things with M2 scripting, but sadly a lot of it ends up being flavour for RP purposes with little to no actual impact on the gameplay itself.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Oh yeah, Ranikagate.

I think Ranika got exposed when he started arguing with an Irish scholar about the spelling of Irish unit names, or at least that was one of the incidents that helped expose him anyhow.

Iirc the Irishman got dogpiled by passive-aggressive devs when he dared challenge the veracity of Ranika-sama's claims, eventually Ranika started to behave erratically, disappeared, came back claiming to be his cousin, and the whole thing was swept under the rug and those ludicrous "Cycle of Telam" quotes were quietly removed during an update. According to an EBII dev, however, the EBI team never got down to purging all of Ranika's fabrications from the Celtic rosters.

This sounds fantastically autistic, got any good sources on it?

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
That's quite the tale. I knew there were some oddballs among the creators of those HISTORICALLY ACCURATE™ mods but this really seems to be on another level. I wonder what his plan was.

If I recall correctly Ranika/Anthony was a creative type who wrote fantasy literature, so maybe he let his overactive imagination get the best of him. In any event, the whole affair ended up making the paladins of HISTORICAL ACCURACY™ look like chumps.

This sounds fantastically autistic, got any good sources on it?

I believe this is the drama thread Tacgnol and I were talking about: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php/89631-Question-(on-Goidillic-units-and-names)

Here's a retrospective thread from 2016 in which Riadach (the Irish guy) comments on the above drama: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/sho...rch-does-Europa-Barbarorum-use-amp-I-can-read

Apparently the guy also provided "expertise" for other mods under a different name: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/briton-units.91641/

There's probably a lot more still floating around if you dig around

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
upload_2021-4-15_12-25-42.png

That sure is the kind of special autism I remember from the TW community.
"How DARE you?!"
Also people who sign their posts with their nickname.

A horse of course

As bad as TWC was, with the petty power struggles, simping for modders, retarded ethnonationalist slapfights and general autism, remember that today the center of the community is the tw subreddit.

Tosiek363

Novice
As bad as TWC was, with the petty power struggles, simping for modders, retarded ethnonationalist slapfights and general autism, remember that today the center of the community is the tw subreddit.

Yeah, warhammer shilling and CA sucking cocks subreddit is pretty shit. Even memes are shitty but thats just general reddit lol. If you want better subreddit i recommend Volound, maybe he is a bit retarded but the discussion there are better.

Shrimp

Arbiter
uEP9Dvp.png

Seems like the emergent factions have an interesting campaign start; the settlements owned by other factions will be slightly randomised to simulate how the emergent factions normally don't appear until later in the game.

lightbane

Arcane
A lot of these mods that claim to be "historically accurate" are just using meaningless buzzwords, the team are frequently just regular morons who like reading wikipedia articles and watch Kings and Generals/Invicta/Shadiversity too much.
Shame, I thought they really wanted to add historical accuracy, but I guess human nature gonna be human nature.

ut "qualified historian" and "autistic, unemployed TW modder" do not exactly overlap overmuch on Venn diagrams.

Aka this. Much worse is that guy inserting his fanfic fantasy elements and nearly getting away with it.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
I love the Total War series, however, I am worried that the Remaster will add changes. Specially, adding female generals into the game. I hated when they did that in 2. I didn't mind that it was, at first, a optional DLC but then they added it into the base game in order to score brownie points with freaks on Twitter. I worry that they will do that in the Remaster. From what I have seen so far they haven't done that but we'll see.

A horse of course

I love the Total War series, however, I am worried that the Remaster will add changes. Specially, adding female generals into the game. I hated when they did that in 2. I didn't mind that it was, at first, a optional DLC but then they added it into the base game in order to score brownie points with freaks on Twitter. I worry that they will do that in the Remaster. From what I have seen so far they haven't done that but we'll see.

They're not doing that. If they were, it would've been announced long ago. Females outside the family tree would be very tricky to implement due to the way the character system works in the engine. It's possible to add female generals through modding, but as standalone characters that aren't fully integrated into the family tree.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Shame, I thought they really wanted to add historical accuracy, but I guess human nature gonna be human nature.

To be fair, there is a middle ground between scorpion king Egyptians, screaming women and flaming pigs and people who think they're intellectual giants because they say PHÂGŌTTOI BUTTPHUKKHERÔN instead of "Greeks"

A horse of course

To be fair, there is a middle ground between scorpion king Egyptians, screaming women and flaming pigs and people who think they're intellectual giants because they say PHÂGŌTTOI BUTTPHUKKHERÔN instead of "Greeks"

I prefer WW1 kraut legionnaries and space marine praetorians

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I'd like the inclusion of female generals as an optional feature so the Invasio Barbarorum modders can properly implement Zenobia as queen of Palmyra in the 3rd Century Crisis, or a mod in the early Imperial age featuring Boudicca's rebellion, etc.

It's not like I'll play vanilla for long... modding capabilities is all I care about. Is there anyone who truly cares about vanilla?
The more features modders can make use of, the better.

Üstad

Arcane
It's one reason why Celt population never settled in Italy or countries like Spain or Greece. Too much sunlight, especially in summer, and too few forests.
Someone needs to tell this guy that Celts did settle in Italy even southern parts of it since they were brought there as slaves. In fact long before that they even settled down in Ankara. The obsession with supposedly %99 redhead Celts (not even Ireland has that) made this guy historically illiterate.

A horse of course

Barbarian Invasion campaigns are starting to drop. Ironically I played very little of BI compared to hundreds of hours of Attila.

Last edited by a moderator:

razvedchiki

Erudite

dont want to contradict your obvious historical expertise, but you should get your facts straight- both eb 1 and 2 were developed and released (eb 1 in 2008 and 2014 for original release of 2) before youtube videos and wiki articles.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I've only played one Barbarian Invasion campaign to completion and it was the Sassanids. I realise it's probably one of the worst possible choice out of all the factions in the game if you want to experience BI's gameplay/campaign, but playing it did feel like I was playing a mod rather than an official campaign. BI could definitely have benefited from having an additional handful of factions and settlements.
Rome Remastered having increased mod support is cool and all since it allows for actual custom campaigns, but personally I hope someone's going to attempt to just try to make an improved version of the vanilla campaigns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom