Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

Sentinel

Arcane
Looks good. Feral Interactive did a great job it seems.
- In-game camera works like modern total wars; with WASD moving it around and rotation & ability to zoom in and out
- new icons and UI assets for campaign map
- new merchant agent - can be sent all over europe to create trade links & buy out rivals
- overhead tactical map has been added along with ranger markers & more detailed unit displays
- broken units rebalanced & smaller armies got new options
- increased in variation in soldiers & units based on region
- regional recruitment has been added as an option - if turned on, units recruited in the middle east will look middle eastern regardless of the army/civilization they're in
- all remastered-only additions are configurable in the options menu and can be turned off
- both expansions included

A horse of course

lol the bad unit pathing is still a problem. You had one job.
I wonder if they still get stuck on the walls.

I'm assuming this isn't warscape engine rather built on top of the original romes codebase right? because it doesn't have the issues Warscape had with collisions you can tell because the phalanx actually works.

Surprised they didn't get Jeff back to do the music as I know his current boss and they could've easily have contacted them for work but clearly didn't. Huge missed opportunity there but I doubt they'd want to work with Sega ever again anyway.

So long as they don't use that awful unit spacing from Medieval 2 that fucks up trying to position units in cities.

Last edited by a moderator:

A horse of course

Xamenos the most popular games in China are Genshin Impact (coomer game), Conqueror's Blade (coomer game with swords) and Girls' Frontline (coomer game with guns).

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Xamenos the most popular games in China are Genshin Impact (coomer game), Conqueror's Blade (coomer game with swords) and Girls' Frontline (coomer game with guns).
I'm not denying big tits sell better in China (as they do pretty much everywhere). I'm just skeptical that CA is business-savvy enough to pander to this market in this way. Hell, they censored and banned 3K tit mods, and that was a game created from scratch for China.

Tyrr

Liturgist
This release seems to be targeting the chinese market. The only real change is the addition of chinese language.
CA is on the China train for some time now. Just look at 3K. All their announcements or patch notes are half in Chinese since the 3K release. I hope they don't fuck up Warhammer 3 by making the new chink faction massively op.

Paradox also felt into that trap numerous times (EU3, EU4, CK2).

Aemar

Arcane
QedB4PB.png

This release seems to be targeting the chinese market. The only real change is the addition of chinese language.

A horse of course

I'm not denying big tits sell better in China (as they do pretty much everywhere). I'm just skeptical that CA is business-savvy enough to pander to this market in this way. Hell, they censored and banned 3K tit mods, and that was a game created from scratch for China.
If I recall correctly, ALL versions of 3Kangzdoms (not just the Chinese version) are censored to prevent players renaming cities and characters to specific titles that would offend the CCP. So there's always hope CA will become slaves of the chad chinese coomer mobile gamer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will Total War: ROME REMASTERED support mods at launch?
Yes! A new mod support feature has been added and will be available from launch.
Only thing I care about. If it's not at the very least just as moddable as the original this is a waste of my time.

If it's as moddable as the original and the modding community picks it up, then it will be incline.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will Total War: ROME REMASTERED support mods at launch?
Yes! A new mod support feature has been added and will be available from launch.
Only thing I care about. If it's not at the very least just as moddable as the original this is a waste of my time.

If it's as moddable as the original and the modding community picks it up, then it will be incline.

I'm assuming it'll just be an improved version of the original engine, so I would guess everything that's currently possible should still remain that way.

Hopefully this will be 64 bit. One of the big problems large mods for Rome and M2 hit is the 32 bit memory limit.

If this sells well I hope they do a similar remaster for Medieval 2. Being able to play Third Age Total War and Stainless Steel with all the addons and huge unit sizes with 100% stability would be amazing.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Great to see the last great Total War game get some attention. Hope they keep the battle engine intact and don't try to "modernise" that as well.

copebot

Learned
From streams etc. the battle engine looks identical. It has the same pathfinding and unit combat animations etc. The main thing for me is that you can alt drag unit formations now like you can in the newer TWs.

Starting at this linked time, this youtuber goes over the customization options that includes lots of toggles between the old/new balance changes and features. I'm guessing you won't be able to toggle the UI or the new models. I'd be surprised if this doesn't sell well and that they don't do it for M2 and Shogun 2. I don't think Shogun 2 really needs any model updates and its UI is already a work of art, but it could use a bump to a 64 bit executable.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Most important thing for me is to get the game running at a decent framerate on my newer machines.

I've had trouble getting consistent FPS in Rome 1. No such issue with any other TW title.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Most important thing for me is to get the game running at a decent framerate on my newer machines.

I've had trouble getting consistent FPS in Rome 1. No such issue with any other TW title.

If this is compatible with mods for the original, I will finally be able to play that one mod set in ancient Greece that lags like a motherfucker in battles.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
that HoC video shows that the overall BAI is the same as it was in the original game so no attempts were made to improve that which sucks because CA's AI has always been dreadful.
Look at how the romans are presenting their backs to the slingers and the units keep shuffling around. That makes me a little weary tbh because we've done this game already and we know just how unsatisfying it is to fight the same boring one sided battle over and over.
Hope everyone's ready for some ridiculous bridge suicides again.
The scipii video shows the AI still gets stuck on the walls.

Given this is a full price game you'd expect better tbh.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the screenshots it looks like they've added the unit randomisation from Medieval 2. Some of the troops of the same unit have slightly different appearances and some minor variation in gear.

Does seem like they may have upgraded Rome to the slightly newer Medieval 2 engine as a starting point.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Looks good. Feral Interactive did a great job it seems.

Missed that they were involved. Makes sense — and explains the UI scheme — as they did an excellent job on the mobile port. Never even thought it could be done tbh, but they managed it well. Totally recommend it if you've access to a tablet that can run it at a decent unit size; or alternatively, one of those whacky Chinese phones that are the size of your face.

lol the bad unit pathing is still a problem. You had one job.
I wonder if they still get stuck on the walls.

They did emphasise that it was more remaster than remake.

From the screenshots it looks like they've added the unit randomisation from Medieval 2. Some of the troops of the same unit have slightly different appearances and some minor variation in gear.
Thank fuck, the uncanny clone faces always creeped me out.

If this is compatible with mods for the original, I will finally be able to play that one mod set in ancient Greece that lags like a motherfucker in battles.
Do you mean Hegemonia or something else? There's so many RTW mods that I barely know where to start. Always liked EB, and at least knew about Roma Surrectum and Invasio Barbarorum. Any recommendations? I really want to believe that their constant reiteration of a ~modern gaming experience~ includies multithreading, if memory serves a lot of these could really use the help.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
They did emphasise that it was more remaster than remake.
all that implies is that its built off the originals base. You're telling me for $50 *sorry I forgot how steam calculates tax lol they couldn't be bothered fixing bugs and issues the games had for almost 2 decades now?
I mean to be fair warhammer still has bugs that were in Empire sooo. Really just goes to prove how stagnate CA has been for a long time now.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Do you mean Hegemonia

Yes.

Always liked EB, and at least knew about Roma Surrectum and Invasio Barbarorum. Any recommendations? I really want to believe that their constant reiteration of a ~modern gaming experience~ includies multithreading, if memory serves a lot of these could really use the help.

I really enjoy the Invasio Barbarorum series because late antiquity is cool.
The Fourth Age mod is great if you like LotR.
Amazons Total War is hilarious because it's as ahistorical as it gets, what with amazons being the main featured civs, but the dev pretends it's based on the latest anthropological discoveries :lol:
Aristeia is a mod for Alexander set during the Trojan war. Play as the Trojans or any of the Greek noble houses that warred against them. It did single entity hero units long before CA officially put them into their games.
Bronze Age is still buggy but I love it because it's set in bronze age mesopotamia, my favorite era and setting. Play as Babylonia, Assyria, Hatti, Egypt, Elam, Lydians...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
All the R1 mods are autistic as fuck and EB is the king of the Sperges when it comes to that.
"What? You don't even speak Old Persian? What kind of history fan are you? :smug:"

Tyrr

Liturgist
I remember using Darthmod with Rome 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom