Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think I've played every proper PC cRPG ever released. I think many of the kids here don't even realize how good a year this is, looking at the past decades. Not only in quantity but also diversity. We even have blobbers! There is always room for improvement, but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Talking about surprises, I was kinda surprised that Wasteland 2's position hasn't raised any outrage here. It's not a bad game, in fact it is very much in par with classic RPGs (with all of its faults). But when we compare it to D:OS, it doesn't really shine at anything ('cept scope). It is competent, but not great. And in my opinion that is what justifies D:OS's position. I've played hundreds of cRPGs, yet Larian managed to bring something new to the genre... and made a fun game!

Blackguards, for comparison had a very solid game system implementation... but it is not fun to play for me. You'd have to be a fanboy to give it a top position at this chart.

I guess D:OS shows how important a good opening is. The game had an amazing first act then went massively downhill to the point that I bet 85% of voters never finished it.

I'd definitely rank Shadowrun and Grimrock higher since they were good throughout their entire run and it didn't feel like I was punishing myself in order to finish them.
Surely the fact that only one of them takes 100h to finish has nothing to do with this :M

Dead Guy

Cipher
Brave of the NEO Scavenger dev to put that troll on the steam store page. I think it might actually put some people off from buying it =)

Nice list though, it's been a good year indeed and I need to play more, especially Shadowrun it would seem.

I too think Blackguards deserves to be higher up, though I wouldn't give it a 5/5 either, but possibly 4. Tough year to compete in, perhaps.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Nice job gents. I have to give SR a try. I definitely bought more than I played this year and have some catching up to do.

Greatness

Cipher
Surely the fact that only one of them takes 100h to finish has nothing to do with this :M

I just absolutely despised the setting and writing style of D:OS. The gameplay/engine carried it for awhile and the first map had some actual good quest design. Once the novelty wore off however you realized the character system isn't very good and the world/story are completely uninteresting. After that it's hard to stay interested when there's so many other games waiting.

I think it would've been far better if they kept to a shorter polished campaign and released expansions like HBS did with Shadowrun.

Blackguards, for comparison had a very solid game system implementation... but it is not fun to play for me. You'd have to be a fanboy to give it a top position at this chart.

They were pretty similar in this regard for me. Blackguards had good mechanics/combat but again nothing to speak of in terms of writing. It was linear enough though that it maintained its balance for far longer and stayed challenging enough to keep me interested. I also didn't hate its setting quite as much as D:OS's.

Dragonfall was the real winner here I think. It actually had a good setting, good writing, mostly on par combat, and it was short enough (IE not full of bloat/filler) that you finished it before it got tiresome. Grimrock was really solid as well, and I went into both of them expecting the worst after SR:R and Grimrock 1. I hope they can maintain the incline.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm really pissed that I didn't get Neo Scavenger in the humble bundle :(

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
  • Wasteland 2 has 813 votes from which 75% are positive
  • Heroine's Quest has 165 votes from which 79% are positive
The resolution for the Wasteland 2 votes is 5 times better as the resolution for the HsQ votes: one vote for HsQ has the same weight as 4,92 votes for W2.

In reality the ratio of HqQ votes would be completely different if 813 people voted for it therefore the entire statistic is quite useless from a qualitative point of view.

Athelas

Arcane
The problem with this system is that people might not have played a game precisely because they didn't think they'd like it. Of course, I can't think of a better alternative.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The resolution for the Wasteland 2 votes is 5 times better as the resolution for the HsQ votes: one vote for HsQ has the same weight as 4,92 votes for W2.

In reality the ratio of HqQ votes would be completely different if 813 people voted for it therefore the entire statistic is quite useless from a qualitative point of view.

sure but hq is much cooler than wasteland 2 so who cares

Stelcio

Savant

Nobody forbade those 813 people to play Heroine's Quest as well and rate it accordingly, especially since it's free. But quite some of them didn't bother to, so you can blame them for W2 being lower (EDIT: even actually). The bayesian average takes care of difference in number of raitngs by the way, if you weren't aware of that.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Nobody forbade those 813 people to play Heroine's Quest as well and rate it accordingly, especially since it's free. But quite some of them didn't bother to, so you can blame them for W2 being lower (EDIT: even actually). The bayesian average takes care of difference in number of raitngs by the way, if you weren't aware of that.

Don't be a retard. Nonexistent data has nothing to do with bayesian average.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Huh? Bayesian statistics is all about reasoning about the distribution of unavailable data based on the available evidence.

Stelcio

Savant

You know, there are also about 7 billion people around the world who didn't vote on W2. If they all voted, the ratio for W2 would in reality be completely different, so we deal with some serious "nonexistent data" here!

Methodology was known from the start. The solution to "different number of votes" problem as well. You had time to bitch about it then. Bitching about it now just because you don't like the outcome is plain faggotry.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You know, there are also about 7 billion people around the world who didn't vote on W2. If they all voted, the ratio for W2 would in reality be completely different, so we deal with some serious "nonexistent data" here!

Methodology was known from the start. The solution to "different number of votes" problem as well. You had time to bitch about it then. Bitching about it now just because you don't like the outcome is plain faggotry.

Did I say 7 billion people? Nope. Then stop being a retard.

The sample for HsQ is 5 times smaller than the sample for W2 therefore the results are shit. That's all.

I did not vote. I don't give a fuck about the methodology. I just don't like misleading statistics.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Huh? Bayesian statistics is all about reasoning about the distribution of unavailable data based on the available evidence.

Distribution of unavailable data sounds like a top job for the future. Maybe I should get some.

Hormalakh

Magister
Distribution of unavailable data sounds like a top job for the future. Maybe I should get some.

What you should get some of is a bag of dicks. Then start sucking them.

great job felipepepe et al. very nicely done. i might actually go out and get D:OS or Neo scavenger.

Weasel

So you think that a sample size of 165 votes is "useless" compared to a sample size of 813 votes. And that the bayesian average is of no use in compensating for this difference. Got it.

So how would you have run the poll? More weighting for games played by more people?

I think the method they used strikes a nice balance between acknowledging the 'hidden gems' while slightly favouring the games played by more people.

Stelcio

Savant
The sample for HsQ is 5 times smaller than the sample for W2 therefore the results are shit. That's all.

The sample is the same. 1245 votes.

I did not vote. I don't give a fuck about the methodology. I just don't like misleading statistics.

Wrong thread, buddy. Nobody here cares for your opinion regarding statistics. Now stop being a faggot and STFU, because some people actually made some effort to put this together for us.

Also, demanding "unmisleading statistics". Now THAT'S RETARDED.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom