Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2023 GOTY - POLL IS CLOSED!

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Seriously if devs would listen to you retards and make your autistic dream rpg they would be bankrupt.

Luckily Larian didn't and as a result has now made the most succesful and critically acclaimed crpg EVER that also won GOTY against Zelda, Final Fantasy, Bethesda and From Software games.

Haters gonna hate

Shaki

Arbiter
Seriously if devs would listen to you retards and make your autistic dream rpg they would be bankrupt.

Luckily Larian didn't and as a result has now made the most succesful and critically acclaimed crpg EVER that also won GOTY against Zelda, Final Fantasy, Bethesda and From Software games.

Haters gonna hate
Of course, I always said good RPGs can't be successful, good RPGs are made by poor autists, fueled by pure passion, blood and tears. As soon as devs smell money, and start treating their games like a product, tailored for consoomers, everything goes to shit. Art and business just don't work together, never did, never will.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
So for the people rating my post as if what I said is not true.

What exactly has BG 3 "revolutionised", how is the C&C superior to other similar games?

The first act as an example is a simple "good" "evil" choice, with moral relativism so that the party never actually acts evil, because they are but because they are trying to infliltrate the wierd cult.

It's a simple binary choice and a choice that does not only not affect most other quests but is also railroaded back in act 2 (you will be found out) so that there is hardly any difference towards the end of the game. There is literally no difference between C&C in BG 3 and DOS2 it's incredibly similar. A few different fights, a bit of a different text and then going back to the linear aspect.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Haters gonna hate
Of course, I always said good RPGs can't be successful, good RPGs are made by poor autists, fueled by pure passion, blood and tears. As soon as devs smell money, and start treating their games like a product, tailored for consoomers, everything goes to shit. Art and business just don't work together, never did, never will.
And then you cry on here we don't have any rpg games anymore.

You need to also attract normie consoomers, there is no other way.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

What exactly has BG 3 "revolutionised", how is the C&C superior to other similar games?

The first act as an example is a simple "good" "evil" choice, with moral relativism so that the party never actually acts evil, because they are but because they are trying to infliltrate the wierd cult.

It's a simple binary choice and a choice that does not only not affect most other quests but is also railroaded back in act 2 (you will be found out) so that there is hardly any difference towards the end of the game. There is literally no difference between C&C in BG 3 and DOS2 it's incredibly similar. A few different fights, a bit of a different text and then going back to the linear aspect.
You're a retard if you think other RPG's come even close to the C&C of BG3. Watch:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

You're a retard if you think other RPG's come even close to the C&C of BG3. Watch:

You could not be arsed to write 2 sentences explaining what you mean and I'm supposed to watch a reaction video on youtube? Not gonna bother.

I want those disagreeing with my statement, explain to me their views on why what I said is untrue.

jackofshadows

Magister

Your interpretation of the very term "C&C" is odd as shit, as if BG3 is some kind of a story-driven game, and completely linear and therefore the experience is the same every time. The people who say BG3 has incredible C&C as I understand are usually talking about player agency and they are right about that.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Your interpretation of the very term "C&C" is odd as shit, as if BG3 is some kind of a story-driven game, and completely linear and therefore the experience is the same every time. The people who say BG3 has incredible C&C as I understand are usually talking about player agency and they are right about that.

BG3 is not a Story driven game? That is news to me, last I heard it was revolutionary in storytelling as well, now you tell me it's not story driven?
So C&C like in skyrim then? A sandbox without real reactivity but you can help one or the other factions and the guards around a city change?

BG3 is incredibly linear, I would say it's as linear or even more linear than Gothic.

Playing minecraft: Will I cut that left tree down or the right one, choices and consequences.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Larian fags are just moving the goal posts again like they always do.

u8g4AVx.png

jackofshadows

Magister
BG3 is not a Story driven game? That is news to me, last I heard it was revolutionary in storytelling as well, now you tell me it's not story driven?
So C&C like in skyrim then? A sandbox without real reactivity but you can help one or the other factions and the guards around a city change?
Neither. It's very akin to Fallout/Arcanum/VTMB. So again, by your interpretation they're all story-driven games which would be misleading to say the least. All of them just have a plot, unlike sandbox games. What I meant by story-driven game was something like TLoU.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Neither. It's very akin to Fallout/Arcanum/VTMB. So again, by your interpretation they're all story-driven games which would be misleading to say the least. All of them just have a plot, unlike sandbox games. What I meant by story-driven game was something like TLoU.
Arcanum and VTMB are story driven games, fallout less so. But BG3 falls behind all three in C&C, bloodlines being the closest.

That said, I fail to see your point, the game is neither great in the story nor in the C&C department. Now you want to sidestep the issue by saying it's not story driven, but that is wholly irrelevant even if it were true.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I actually got BG3 as a gift from a fellow Codexer, but it was unbearable to play for long. Frankly I am not a fan of Dragon Age style of games (cinematic dialogue, voice acting, annoying companions, etc.) which I predicted BG3 will turn out to be. What was particularly sad was the paper thin ruleset. For example, picking different races offered very little distinction in terms of rules, etc. It is frankly unacceptable for a computer role playing game. System wise something like KotC 2 Hearkenwold is light years ahead. I don't care about your production value.

Yes, also the story is pretty average at best and full of cringe-worthy stuff even aside the political stuff.
Additionally, the "choice and consequences" are not really remarkable at all. It's nothing we have not seen before, a Kotor 2, Arcanum or fallout has way better C&C.

Even if were to pretend it's an actually good game (which I don't think it is) all the talk about it innovating or redefining stuff is completely baseless.
I think a lot of people still pretending it has some revolutionary C&C, is just sunk cost fallacy in action. Most of the dudes saying this, are the usual suspects who were repeating that PR shit endlessly for 2 years and hundreds of pages, while the game was still in beta. As I said before, I get why they fell for it, beta had a lot of choices, and it looked like they would result in a massively different outcomes in the full version, and if you're a sucker for corpo promises, you could easily believe that.

After actually seeing the full game, the illusion of choice very quickly falls apart on closer inspection, but it's not surprising that people who spend multiple years being Larian shills for free based on Swen's promises, would rather deny reality and pretend the game is actually groundbreaking, than admit they were acting retarded and bought into the hype like 10IQ consoomer normies.

The CnC in Dark Sun or Fallout shits on BG3

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Arcanum and VTMB are story driven games, fallout less so. But BG3 falls behind all three in C&C, bloodlines being the closest.

That said, I fail to see your point, the game is neither great in the story nor in the C&C department. Now you want to sidestep the issue by saying it's not story driven, but that is wholly irrelevant even if it were true.

What "story driven" means today:

a bunch of annoying companions who want to date you or fuck you

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

That said, I fail to see your point, the game is neither great in the story nor in the C&C department.
ill bite. due to your actions in bg3 whole settlements will disappear. And not as ending slides. What exactly do you want in here?

Yes, act endings are forced to singular points but lets not pretend that others are doing better

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

That said, I fail to see your point, the game is neither great in the story nor in the C&C department.
ill bite. due to your actions in bg3 whole settlements will disappear. And not as ending slides. What exactly do you want in here?

Yes, act endings are forced to singular points but lets not pretend that others are doing better

That settlements disappear, I'm not sure what you are refering to, the destruction of the Druid cove or the Goblin camp? Is merely the deletion of NPCs in under certain circumstances, that's not really hard to do and has been done a lot in the past. The reason this is possible is because the areas in questions are not relevant for the story anymore and BG 3 just like DOS or Skyrim or whatever other sandboxes are designed around most NPCs being not relevant.

That it's done in a ending slide is also no qualitative difference it's just a different medium for the same C&C and the gameplay impact is nearly the same.

There are games that do not come back to singular points, Der Langrisser for example has 4 distingushed routes with different stories, motivations and endings and all.

I really do not have to prove why the games mentioned above qualify for that, these are detail questions which you would most likely would try to disagree with and say is subjective but you say it yourself:

lets not pretend that others are doing better

BG 3 does not revolutionize anything, it excels at nothing, I would argue even graphically it's not great due to it's style but it's not a great comparison to compare fallout and BG 3 anyways so it's a bit of a toss up. I think Pillars 2 looks better.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Why do you people even care if there's shovelware on the list. It doesn't matter at all. Who gives a shit.

It causes psychic damage to have to scroll and read through so many titles.

Especially with such an awful font.
All you posers whining about which should get 1/5: is it BG3, or Starfield? Diablo 4?

All you're telling me is you didn't play/back Arcadian Atlas. That thing is true dog shit.

:rpgcodex:
The problem with BG3 and Starfield is that they aren't "just" bad, they're straight-up evil. As in, like, made with malicious intent. I feel a profound blackness dripping off of them. The debate shouldn't even be about how bad they are, rather what crimes we could potentially bring the developers to court for. Obscenity laws don't really exist anymore, so I'd go with either desecration/destruction of a work of art (either of the DND setting itself or games as an artform), or emotional damages and slander because of all the misandry and sex-pest scenes.

This debate and discussion is officially no longer allowed on the RPGCodex since Infinitron has been running things. Any thread that focuses on this topic is moved into a containment zone by the administration as a matter of policy.

Think I'm exaggerating? This thread was recently moved into 'Gaming Drama' from General RPG Discussion:

List of woke and non-woke roleplaying games

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
That it's done in a ending slide is no qualitative difference it's just a different medium for the same C&C and the gameplay impact is nigh the same.
id say its quite a big difference when safe haven and vendors disappear? Or the fact that npcs no longer appear in future acts to vouch for you/offer help/whatever.

You brought arcanum, what exactly is in there?are you arguing that tarant falling to ruin many years in future is the gameplay impact?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This debate and discussion is officially no longer allowed on the RPGCodex since Infinitron has been running things. Any thread that focuses on this topic is moved into a containment zone by the administration as a matter of policy.

Think I'm exaggerating? This thread was recently moved into 'Gaming Drama' from General RPG Discussion:

If you wanna see Gregz when he's really really high on schizo-posting, here's my favorite thread from 2023 https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-site-for-the-free-discussion-of-rpgs.147784/

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

This debate and discussion is officially no longer allowed on the RPGCodex since Infinitron has been running things.
If it is not allowed, what exactly are we doing?
Any thread that focuses on this topic is moved into a containment zone by the administration as a matter of policy.
I understand the need to corrall and separate certain groups of crazies from those that simply want to discuss games.

Yes, Gaming Drama will do just fine!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom