Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2023 GOTY - POLL IS CLOSED!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All you posers whining about which should get 1/5: is it BG3, or Starfield? Diablo 4?

All you're telling me is you didn't play/back Arcadian Atlas. That thing is true dog shit.

:rpgcodex:
But is it worse than Stray Gods?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"Colon Shit or Bear's Gape 3? Which is better and why? Discuss!"
View attachment 46686

colonoscopy seems to be hard topic for ai
That's a nice counterpart of a bikini armor on a dude with a beer belly :salute:

There's a niche to fill, developers.
They're already on it:
thor.png

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
All you posers whining about which should get 1/5: is it BG3, or Starfield? Diablo 4?

All you're telling me is you didn't play/back Arcadian Atlas. That thing is true dog shit.

:rpgcodex:

Is Arcadian Atlas so bad it's good, or is it completely devoid of entertainment?

It took 7+ years to make? Holy shit.

The latter. It's just bad.

Yosharian

Arcane
Jesus christ it is sad how few decent RPGs came out last year

I voted BG3 a '4' and Jagged Alliance 3 a '5', sorry Swen but I had way more fun with the latter

I played the demo of D4 so I feel qualified to vote on it, but it isn't the worst, no that goes to Starfield!

Edit: why are so many people butthurt by this post? lmao i am genuinely confused by this

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
From the ones I've played, which isn't a lot when I went through the list, only Conquest of Eo is anywhere close to a good game. I'm sure I'm also going to like Colony Ship and maaaaybe Jagged Alliance 3 (because I know nothing about it), but that's it. I would like BG3 to not win, but it's going to win.

Shaki

Arbiter
Hey BG3 fans, are you sure you want to vote for it? There is a game on the list that will fit your epic RPG gaming tastes even better, you should vote for it instead. Rance IX Codex GOTY 5/5.

REhorror

Educated
Too many titles, I'm just gonna vote for Armored Core 6, Robocop, Star Ocean 2nd R, Rogue Trader and Colony Ship, and Octopath Traveler 2.

EDIT: List doesn't even have Armored Core 6 and Robocop, wtf man, these games have RPG branching paths and different endings, that's more than Skyrim.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey BG3 fans, are you sure you want to vote for it? There is a game on the list that will fit your epic RPG gaming tastes even better, you should vote for it instead. Rance IX Codex GOTY 5/5.

Compared to BG 3 Rance is god Tier.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
felipepepe
Not sure why repeat the same mistake (1-5 rating scale, instead of 1-4) again this year, when it was admitted post-results last year.
I did ask Twiglard to change it, he didn't. I don't know if it's because he forgot, it's annoying to change it or he just prefers 1-5. He's already doing this whole poll as a favor, so whatever.
A true man of princliples, doesn't bend to no book writer :obviously:

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How to rate a game that is entertaining enough and even tickles the long forgotten strums at times, yet bashes you with writing and design choices so bad you can’t help but take it personally?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
How to rate a game that is entertaining enough and even tickles the long forgotten strums at times, yet bashes you with writing and design choices so bad you can’t help but take it personally?
2, Nostalgia is worth less than the actual gameplay.

Falksi

Arcane
Since it's already come up repeatedly, i'm going to go ahead and confess: I voted on some games I watched greater than 3 hours of footage of (mostly livestreams) even though I didn't play them.

These games were Lies of P (5 stars, actually the best thing that came out this year and already familiar with the subgenre.)

BG3, and Starfield (0 stars, it doesn't take a genius to figure out these are some of the worst RPGs of '23, if not the decade. You can already smell and see shit, you don't have to bend down and taste it to figure out it's shit.)

And yes, as previously discussed, the negative ratings were motivated by a combination of "I'd rather sound my cock with rusty rebar than play this." and "This game doesn't deserve to be Top 3 ANYTHING."

I might have voted on a few others, I'm not sure. Perhaps we should do a recount, along with including more games in the vote. I'm also ok with having my votes nullified, if that's an option.
This has to be one of the weirdest phenomena's in modern society.

Watching other people play games online is still an odd concept to me, but to then rate games on what you're seeing is just baffling.

I remember seeing screens of Flicky in mags and thinking it looked garbage, but playing it was addictive as hell and it's still miles better than half the dross churned out now. Yet if I'd have rated it on just what I saw, both via those screens and in the arcades, I'd have given it a 1/5.

When the next Codex top 100 games list comes around, only votes with mini-reviews which display the player has actually played the game to a respectable degree should count.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
So, let me throw a hypothetical scenario at you. Let's say that there's a person out there, we'll call him NotNotSweeper, and let's say that this person hasn't played any of the titles listed for Codex GOTY 2023, including BG3, but he has a burning desire to rate BG3 a 0. Would you consider it unethical to do so?
you will, ironically, help it win by doing so. the more people play something, even rating it low, increases the chance of it winning

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom