Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In terms of Codex reception, I think it's opposite. BG2, despite not being turn-based, is loved here because of its content. D:OS2 gets away with bad content and poor design because it's turn-based.

If that were true, then everyone here would have been gushing over Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numenera.

Also, if you ask casuals what the new ultimate RPG is, most will say TW3 Skyrim rather than D:OS2.

Hey now, Witcher 3 won over a lot of people, but it didn't sell tens of millions and get ported to everything it can possibly be ported to. Witcher 3 is the somewhat-more :obviously: Skyrim.

Anyway, I meant that in the context of traditional cRPGs, so action stuff is right out.

Hommlet is the circle of Hell that Dante thought too horrible to describe.

And you think the shit comes after.

Huh.

Rean was likely referring to post-Moathouse content. It is true that the majority of the Temple isn't as demanding as that area is.

Can someone TL;DR how Prey got on this list? I'm seriously confused.

It's a (far more faithful than Bioshock) spiritual successor to System Shock 2 which some people (but not Chris Avellone) consider a role playing game.

Only 2017 game I played was Battle Brothers. It was good. I looked into the others when they came out, and aside from D:OS2, they all looked subpar.

This thread confirms my thoughts. We had two decent games, Battle Bros and D:OS2. An average year. Looking forward to next.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In terms of Codex reception, I think it's opposite. BG2, despite not being turn-based, is loved here because of its content. D:OS2 gets away with bad content and poor design because it's turn-based.

If that were true, then everyone here would have been gushing over Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numenera.

Also, if you ask casuals what the new ultimate RPG is, most will say TW3 Skyrim rather than D:OS2.

Hey now, Witcher 3 won over a lot of people, but it didn't sell tens of millions and get ported to everything it can possibly be ported to. Witcher 3 is the somewhat-more :obviously: Skyrim.

Anyway, I meant that in the context of traditional cRPGs, so action stuff is right out.

Hommlet is the circle of Hell that Dante thought too horrible to describe.

And you think the shit comes after.

Huh.

Rean was likely referring to post-Moathouse content. It is true that the majority of the Temple isn't as demanding as that area is.

It's a (far more faithful than Bioshock) spiritual successor to System Shock 2 which some people (but not Chris Avellone) consider a role playing game.
Prey is a great game but it is not something that comes to mind when thinking about rpgs.

Fairfax

Arcane
WL2 is rubbish; TTON has other things going against it and most didn't even play it. Anyway, I didn't mean turn-based combat makes Codexers forgive everything, but many here lower their standards and are willing to put up with plenty of decline and/or bad content because of it. You also have a majority that's willing to overlook bad/mediocre combat as long as they enjoy the rest. It's the case with PS:T, FNV, MOTB, Morrowind, Arcanum, KOTOR2, and others.

D:OS2 doesn't even belong in that context, then. It's much closer to modern MMORPGs than traditional cRPGs.

He thinks is SS2 almost an RPG because it lacks reactivity. Perhaps he thinks Prey lacks that as well.

Mustawd

I agree with this. Add SRR, Blackguards 2, Banner Saga series, The Quest, Swords and Sorcery Underworld, Frayed Knights, etc. to that list. There are a ton of TB games that have come out the last 4 years or so and they haven't become codex GOTY just because of TB.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
WL2 is rubbish; TTON has other things going against it and most didn't even play it.

Wasteland 2 was received almost as well as Pillars of Eternity around these parts. ToN had about as many players as the most played recent RPGs (going by the honor system and assuming that people only voted for stuff they actually played). It's not like either of them are shovelware (though of course the edgiest posters would make that exaggeration).

D:OS2 doesn't even belong in that context, then. It's much closer to modern MMORPGs than traditional cRPGs.

Okay, by traditional RPG I mean combat is resolved in a turn based or real time tactical fashion.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Roguey is right. PoE was slightly more popular, but it and W2 scored about the same in out GOTY polls. I think the only difference is that PoE had a longer & better post-release support, which warmed some people to it.

Mortmal

Arcane

I'm not kidding. Here's something cute for your troubles (thanks ex).

https://instagram.fcpv3-1.fna.fbcdn...08_1768319209861754_8077842750784929792_n.mp4
Cause its clearly an heir of system shock , that was the best rpg on 386-486 pc, following ultima underworld. There's really that feeling when playing it,story is good,graphics are good something extremely important here, gameplay is innovative too .It also helps its the most mainstream title of the list and most voters dont play much if anything at all.
I am glad to see that dominion is rated highly by the few people who plays it, the poll reflects exactly the codex reality.

Fairfax

Arcane
Wasteland 2 was received almost as well as Pillars of Eternity around these parts.
Keep in mind these polls are heavily influenced by new and inactive users, and PoE in particular benefits a lot from it. Their reception was far worse among active old school users. Just look at the PoE2 thread. The most grognardy user looking forward to that game is probably Infinitron.

ToN had about as many players as the most played recent RPGs (going by the honor system and assuming that people only voted for stuff they actually played).
The game's thread is too inactive for that, and I wouldn't put too much faith in the honour system in that case. There was the Codex x InXile beef, missing stretch goals, console port, etc.

Last edited:

Mustawd

If you're going to cruticize the poll you might as well throw out the notion that thread activity means anything in terms of how well received a game is.

Most threads are what, at most 50 people talking? The codex user base is thousands. Why would a fraction of those users having thread discussions be a better indication than the poll?

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Why the does everyone keep assuming this poll was for RPG of the year? It’s the game of the year poll. I agree it’s remarkably silly that so many non RPGs would do so well on the RPG Codex GOTY poll, but there you go. Maybe Roqua has a point that many Codexians are indifferent to the genre (half kidding). But like so many others have noted, it’s just because there were so few worthwhile CRPGs this year. Elex was very much a diamond in the rough, Expeditions Viking was decent but combat quickly became monotonous, Spellforce 3 was okay but kind of mediocre, and I can’t bring myself to play another Larian game after D:OS. Much like the 2016 election, I just couldn’t bring myself to vote.

You say that Expeditions Viking has a monotonous combat but Elex was a diamond in the rough, what a fucking joke

Toughest monsters in the game and the only thing they can do is two telegraphed attacks that even my near blind grandmother can see them coming and even a spastic with multiple sclerosis can dodge them.

Jesus Christ this game really does look like unplayable shit. I am convinced that the people who profess to like it are either trolls. or eurotrash who just mindlessly support any piece of shit game that comes out of the continent.

Fairfax

Arcane
If you're going to cruticize the poll you might as well throw out the notion that thread activity means anything in terms of how well received a game is.

Most threads are what, at most 50 people talking? The codex user base is thousands. Why would a fraction of those users having thread discussions be a better indication than the poll?
I'm not criticizing the polls at all. My point is that they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of people you'll actually see posting, and that many users joined the forum because they like these games. I used the poll's data to show that many games considered decline by grognards are disproportionately popular with new and/or inactive users, and how they were a significant portion of the votes.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
ELEX beat DOS2 by a hair for me. Top 5 of the year: ELEX, DOS2, BB, EV, Grimwah. I only give 7/10 to goty though because it was simply good, not great, which summarizes the year. Copper Dreams is my early favourite for 2018.

Bathe my unwashed body in negreps and update your .txt

Arulan

Cipher
Oh god, I just can't argue with people at ResetEra... they are literally arguing that they don't like weighted votes because they just want to know what's more popular.

:dead:

The post suggesting that games which fail to appeal to a large audience don't deserve to be rewarded as much as those that do is where I lost it.

:negative:

Mustawd

The post suggesting that games which fail to appeal to a large audience don't deserve to be rewarded as much as those that do is where I lost it.

Why? It's the specific reason that place exists. It's like hitting your balls with a hammer and being surprised that your balls got bruised the next day.

EDIT: I assume. I dunno IRL. Not talking from experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In 2037, Cleve Blakemore will release Armoire: Heralds of the Eldritch Abomination, and finally receive the critical acclaim from the RPG Codex that he has for so long been denied.

VggZYI8.png

:ibelieveincleve:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Two games with Chris Avellone writing are in the top three, not such a surprise, the affinity between the Codex and MCA is still strong.

PS
D:OS2 is meant to be played with your girlfriend, since when Codexers have friends, and girlfriends at that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom