Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chaos Chronicles

I know that if game mechanics are going to be solid enough I will hardly care.
What can I say, I'm a storyfag :obviously:

Besides, good mechanics are basically nothing without intelligent encounter design.
Looks good. But do we know anything about the setting?

We know about the setting bro. You should search a bit. There was a german (it has translation) interview somewhere. It will be basically - you are a group of adventurers that come to the dangerous and unknown continent which was ravaged and overcome by monsters for some 200 years, and no one dared to go there, until now. There are some settlements that quiver in fear and fight for survival and small local communities and taverns at crossroads. It will be dungeons and dragons setting, but darker and more sinister and dangerous (monsters will patrol the countryside, continent is overshadowed by evil etc.). +1 weapons will be rare and powerful, so no OMG EPIC shit.

So, this is MY interpretation of what I know about the game, but I think it's pretty accurate. :D
That's pretty vague... but yeah could be good.

It should have very intelligent and cool encounter designs as developer put special attention there. As far as being a storyfag game, I'm not so sure. It will be more of a turn based tactical combat game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really doubt there be much to come after for the storyfags on this one. I'm equal part storyfag and combatfag, so the very few games where those concepts have meshed are my favourite, but CC looks to be an incredible combatfag experience, which is more than enough for me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm not really expecting much in story and quest design (if there are any) even though I am a gigantic storyfag, If it has great combat and well done encounter design, that's good enough for me. A tool-set would also be a plus.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
What's the deal with which d&d monsters that can be used, according to the OGL ?

The OGL offers a wide range of monsters we can use, I guess it includes about 98% of the total D&D monster compendium. But there are some few D&D-only creatures like Beholder or Mindflayer which are definitely protected under the trademarks of Hasbro. Without the offical D&D license, you are not allowed to use them at all.

Here's a list of all available OGL creatures where we collected our compendium for CC from: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Creatures

kaizoku

Arcane
Ever played Fallout? The first one? Ever tried to create a character with very low intelligence? Imagine the thoughts and work the developers must have put into the game to make all of that work out and provide such a unique experience. Or all the banter going on in a game like Baldur’s Gate between the characters commenting the current situation. While these are definitely cool things it was also very cool to imagine the same things going in your own fantasy.

Maybe all the pen & paper roleplaying as kids got into our heads but while exploring a sewer you could easily imagine the elf complaining about the smell. Little things but memories we are fond of. The whole thing did get even more dramatic considering your characters could die and sometimes had to be replaced. Overall the experience that formed in your head was much more similar to reading a book than imagining yourself playing a role in the story.
Imagination is a slippery slope.
At its extreme you can - supposedly - imagine a whole game/adventure going on your head without even needing to grab a book or use the computer.
The truth is far different from it. Even more for those who do not have a wild imagination.

Personally I need the text to be there. The descriptions, the reactions, the banter, the stupid low INT replies, the variety that results from different actions. For me that is part of the game design.
The music and graphics are there to support the text.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom