Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This thread was an innocuous 8 pages when I started reading this morning.
:despair:

Mustawd

We need Josh Sawyer to create an RPG Codex account and explain his side here. Only way to make this day better.
i say let him come i will gut him gladly :D

image.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This guy on the Obsidian forums asked for a refund: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97103-chris-avellone-the-final-frontier/?p=2002496

Hi ,

Thank you for contacting us and I’ll be happy to take care of that for you. It may take a few days to get the refund on the Fig side as I need to have them process it, but I can refund the PayPal DLC purchase right away.

Regarding the comments from Chris, we have and still do wish him nothing but the best for him and his family’s future.

We sincerely thank you for having backed us.

Thank you again,

Darren Monahan
CIO and Co-Founder
Obsidian Entertainment

Big Wrangle

>Regarding the comments from Chris, that piece of shit probably won't find another job after shit-talking Obsidian, so he can die in a fire.

Wait that's not right.

>Regarding the comments from Chris, we have and still do wish him nothing but the best for him and his family’s future.

There ya go

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I can't say in truth that I'm shocked or something like that.
These words are fit the most:

Chris, I don't really know you outside of your work. I'm not going to pretend to care deeply about you on a personal level, but you're a consummate and talented professional and I am sorry to hear that you were used. "Business is business" is one thing and something that anyone above the age of 19 understands, but this is in a completely different category.

But I can say - it was a disgusting thing to read. Absolutely.
I woudn't mind to spit in that mysterious "upper management" man's back.

Fuck obsidian

More fuck that bloodlusty capitalistic slavery management.

I do hope my dream of seeing Obsidian crashing and burning will soon become reality.

Monsters are always very tenacious.

began cataloging dangerhair inXile employees several years ago

What does that mean? Dangerhair?

I'm a lawyer, Blaine. Granted, I'm a Russian, and my specialty isn't labor law, so in your mind it probably disqualifies me, but still. Also 'kwa legal system is a fucking disaster and a nightmare.
The irony is that he wants to automatically disqualify the opinions about legal matters using the expertise of members of his family. Did they give you some legal advice in the past hour, Blaine? Because you are just as layman as every other poster here. Expertise is not something you acquire by osmosis, you know.

I'm already confused - which one of you is a bad or good guy? Who did wright and who did wrong, who is a evildoer? Whom I should support?
As a foreigner I have troubles to tracing both your points in a coherent whole.

but I like Eric and Chris both
what do I do now

:stunned:

this wasn't supposed to happen

Choose your fucking side!
:yeah:

"It a revolution! Are you with us or against us?"
Mind-fucking-blowing....

Let's fucking make an ArPeeGee from it - two good guys, none of them is Evil Lord, and you must to choose a side!
Mary-fucking-Poppins...

Big Wrangle

Let's fucking make an ArPeeGee from it - two good guys, none of them is Evil Lord, and you must to choose a side!
Mary-fucking-Poppins...
Uber Mangement, a game development RPG from the creators of Disco Elysium.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Damn, what a shit show... internal conflicts always happen, but that separation agreement is insane. Fuck Obsidian's "upper management" hard for this.

Still, I feel bad for the PoE 2 team for working hard on a game just to get dealt this bomb 7 days before release... :/

Azarkon

Arcane
Regarding the comments from Chris, we have and still do wish him nothing but the best for him and his family’s future.

Translation: okay guys, contact our lawyers, in case this spreads.

Ninjerk

Arcane
3dc5076f06c667229296080792bf173a.png

Why contain it? Let it spill over in the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets...in the end, they'll beg us to save them.

EDIT: I wonder how many people in here are posting there now to rile this thing up?

2house2fly

Magister
We need Josh Sawyer to create an RPG Codex account and explain his side here. Only way to make this day better.

That's not gonna happen. Josh prefers Something Awful and the late NeoFAG, where incorrect opinions and wrongthink are instantly sent down the memory hole.

I seem to dimly recall that he does have an account here and stopped using it ages ago, but I may be thinking of another developer.
How on Earth could he not want to post on a forum where the only person who doesn't vocally hate his guts is a deranged stalker? The man is truly insane.

Azarkon

Arcane
Codex opinions on Sawyer are varied. There's a couple of people who hate his guts, obviously, but also many who support him. Maybe not as much now, since Avellone dropped the bomb, but it is not right to say that Sawyer's only hated here.

Puteo

Learned
There was time allocated to implement two companions who were written to spec in the first place, no more.

So basically the greatest videogame writer of all time was assigned to write merely 2/8 "spec" characters while being excluded from narrative and story planning meetings for the most important game Obsidian made.

Incompetent management, gotcha.

2house2fly

Magister
Codex opinions on Sawyer are varied. There's a couple of people who hate his guts, obviously, but also many who support him. Maybe not as much now, since Avellone dropped the bomb, but it is not right to say that Sawyer's only hated here.
I kind of fail to see how the bomb could affect people's perception of Sawyer. He's not one of the upper management who tried to screw the guy, and next to that situation cutting some companion dialogue without having a big discussion about it first seems like small potatoes

a cut of domestic sheep prime

3dc5076f06c667229296080792bf173a.png

Why contain it? Let it spill over in the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets...in the end, they'll beg us to save them.

EDIT: I wonder how many people in here are posting there now to rile this thing up?
apparently they are quite pissed I even talked about them. I guess they think no one knows about 8chan. ffs, this site is less well known than they are. though I never browse /v/, only /pol/.
one of our members helped do the coding for 8chan. lmao

Azarkon

Arcane
I kind of fail to see how the bomb could affect people's perception of Sawyer. He's not one of the upper management who tried to screw the guy, and next to that situation cutting some companion dialogue without having a big discussion about it first seems like small potatoes

It depends on how much they think Sawyer contributed to Avellone's poor treatment. Many people seem to blame Sawyer for Avellone being excluded from the design process, to which end I can see how they'd place guilt on Sawyer for what happened.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It depends on how much they think Sawyer contributed to Avellone's poor treatment. Many people seem to blame Sawyer for Avellone being excluded from the design process, to which end I can see how they'd place guilt on Sawyer for what happened.
I can't really blame the guy for being too livid to talk to Avellone after he screwed him in the exact same manner that he screwed him with Fallout New Vegas. Chris is certainly a talented, speed-writing guy, but you have to be a team player. Ulysses and Durance/GM hurt the team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom