Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

2house2fly

Magister
Hey Chris, ever hang around with David Jaffe? You seem like a his kind of fellow for some reason.

I believe he contributed a great deal to what made God of War great, and I felt the game was amazing for it.

I also believe that his lead programmer also had some very good points about how to manage design.
I had been under the impression he wasn't involved in God Of War 2, which I liked a lot more, and thought "good riddance" but then I looked it up recently and turns out he was involved after all. So, good not riddance

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Man, reading about the NDA/non-compete screwjob makes my blood boil. Even trying that sort of thing should be illegal. Reminds me of why my grandfather used to say that one of the two things communists got right was hanging all the lawyers.

Chris Avellone related to your wonderful Tony Jay anecdote, and the well-known saga of Ron Perlman's quest for your blood, when South Park was being worked on did Matt and Trey ever drop by Obsidian?

Waitaminute, now Fairfax is Chris Avellone, AwesomeButton appears to have become Infinitron, cats and dogs are living together, just what in the HELL is going on?!
Human sacrifice! Mass hysteria!

Unrelated (kidding but serious), I am happy to say I've been employed as a writer for Ghost Story Games (formerly Irrational) ever since my departure from Obsidian, and Ghost Story is great and their lore is amazing. Plus, their designers are smart (yes, Drew, I mean you) and I like what Ken Levine brings to characters very, very much.

Yes!! I think you + Ken Levine could do something very cool, even if (heresy!) it might not be an RPG…
It gives a man hope against hope for Freedom Force 3.

grotsnik

Arcane
Only at the Codex do you feel like you’re following a Mad Max chase sequence when you’re reading a 50-page thread. Batshit and extraordinary.

Honestly really glad to hear you’re happier now, Chris - looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Chris, in terms of narrative presentation what kind of features a game should have to get the most of it in your opinion?
By this I mean stuff like is first or third person exploration inherently better compared to isometric view in terms of playing around with environmental storytelling? And do voice acting and cutscenes accomplish enough given how much resources they take?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Chris Avellone Do you mind sharing your outlook on how well do you think Deadfire will turn out? Taking into consideration your knowledge of the team working on it and what you think they learned from how PoE ended up.

I have no idea, but based on Obsidian's track record, I wouldn't buy any game from them until the first expansion/DLC came out.

Not trying to be a dick, but it's true - they don't have a great track record of launching a title. I prefer to give it a few months (which also lets me hear how good the story is).
Of all the things Chris said in this thread, this hit me the hardest. That is pretty damning shit. Lucky for me, I won't have time to play Pillars 2 for a while, so I can follow your advice and play it after a few DLCs.

Developer
Of all the things Chris said in this thread, this hit me the hardest. That is pretty damning shit. Lucky for me, I won't have time to play Pillars 2 for a while, so I can follow your advice and play it after a few DLCs.

Again, not trying to be a dick, but it is for the best.

We found with PoE1 that the patches, later updates, and expansions fixed a lot of problems people had with the initial release.

If the story also comes back as a plus (which shouldn't be affected by this), am happy to give it a shot.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Chris Avellone Do you mind sharing your outlook on how well do you think Deadfire will turn out? Taking into consideration your knowledge of the team working on it and what you think they learned from how PoE ended up.

I have no idea, but based on Obsidian's track record, I wouldn't buy any game from them until the first expansion/DLC came out.

Not trying to be a dick, but it's true - they don't have a great track record of launching a title. I prefer to give it a few months (which also lets me hear how good the story is).

Chris Avellone thanks for the honest opinion.

During your time there (at Obsidian) do you feel that the trend of releasing unfinished games was endorsed internally with a "release now and patch later" approach to development or was it simply down to circumstances of working with tight publisher and budgetary deadlines? I ask this because the "buggy obsidian classic" has become an accepted part of gaming culture and obsidian seems to have a track record to back that meme up.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Chris Avellone
What do you think about Ken Levine's Narrative Legos concept? Would you prefer game narrative work that way or you like the traditionally built storylines?

Um, if there was a game in production that embraced the Narrative LEGO concept, I’d want to work on it so I could answer that question (the abstract answer differs from the in-the-guts answer, and I usually prefer in-the-guts answers).

So, can we get that answer :desu:

Developer
Have you had those shots you promised to do with Infinitron yet?

No, I just owe him an apology, which I will likely do through cartoons to solidify how serious my apology is (seriously).

He has a very difficult task on the site to post updates, and it can't be an easy thing to juggle in his off-time hours.

Ininitron, if you're reading this, I owe you an apology - my previous comments were only teasing, and I recognize it's hard to be focused on RPG news 24/7 if you have, well... an actual job... that should be taken into account and respected. :: Respectful bow ::

Phanax

Novice
Patron
OK, very serious question here. Are you actually at all worried about any blowback from being so candid about a former employer? The game industry might be large, but it can also be damn small at the same time.

Developer
OK, very serious question here. Are you actually at all worried about any blowback from being so candid about a former employer? The game industry might be large, but it can also be damn small at the same time.

No, but good question.

Aside from making up what Obsidian chose to never pay me, I set aside a legal fund to deal with any repercussions, and I will fight anything they bring to the table, tooth and nail. I welcome it.

If confronted with evil (as categorized by existing employees who will soon resign - check back in a week or two for the latest round, even though one of them dropped yesterday), I will be prepared to fight it. I guarantee I have more in my bank account than Obsidian does, since they rarely think more than 2 months in advance - and unfortunately, their very, very expensive lawyer charges by the hour, which is unfortunate, but he knows, remora-like, what to attach himself to to get the most financial gain.

But it's all okay - Paradox has already been in touch, and they aren't too happy with how Obsidian handled the work they asked for. Future revelations will likely be much more fun than mine.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I finally am done reading this thread.

Wow, that sure was both interesting, funny, and painful. I had to go through horrible conditions at work last year, and while it was hardly on the scale MCA experienced, I can sure sympathize.

The thing to note here : everyone who has posted in this thread is telling the truth. This kind of stuff is far too serious to lie nonchalantly about. People can indeed have vast different outlooks based on friendships, positions, departments, and just... time. Things are always okay until they are not.

But I have to admit, and god I certainly hope I am not being offensive in an way Chris Avellone , but reading this entire thing made me wonder about your current mental state at the moment.

I understand you mean and felt everything you wrote, but everything that you have posted here could have far reaching consequences, even in the upcoming years. Nobody likes whistleblowers, not because they are telling the truth, but because they fear if they hire one circumstances might make an enemy out of them. Anyway, what I am trying to ask is : are you alright and fully aware of eventual personal difficulties that might result of these posts ? Sometimes emotions take over and however true and honest your word, one regrets phrasing it out loud later.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It is well know Codex can cause corruption over time... I been polite and kind at first too... Then i started to be edgy not even realizing that.

It brings out the best in all of us

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom