Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Feargus Urquhart at Digital Dragons 2016

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I fail to see what is being implied here. Either Sawyer does not want to use the analogy of Caesar and Rome anywhere beyond the nomenclature or he is so lost in his rear end that he does not realize that none of this makes sense. For a more reasonable version of the idea see my previous post.

Step one) build army of slave soldiers step two) conquer failing Republic just as you have all those other places controlled by the Legion but aren't actually Legion step three) let slave army become standing army as you rule your true empire.

Caesar said himself he chose the trappings of Rome because he wanted to convert their life to something entirely alien to separate all ties from their previous lives.

Developer
Speaking from experience, there are times where I have been misquoted or my response ignored/not transcribed in previous interviews (including the Codex at PAX East), and I mostly have to shrug and let it go.

Uh, do tell. (mindx2 What have you done)

Well that's a question I'd like answered from Chris himself....

I still have the entire recording and transcribed everything that was said (except for the ums, huhs, repeated words, ect.). Perhaps I misheard something or didn't catch it with multiple people talking at once...?

My apologies, should have clarified - it was at the point where I believe the question was "so this [Tyranny] is your baby?/yours?" and while I replied, "no" (because it wasn't, and with good reason - in general, baby projects are dangerous to everyone, including the father), there may have been a gaggle of talking at that point, but I recall speaking even more after that about Brian Heins leading the project as director along with other elements, but I think that all got lost.

Unfortunately, I got lectured for the "no" part, largely because of its simplicity, and there was no record of anything else being said. Ironically, attempts to explain this weren't listened to either, but I doubt it would have mattered, so I wouldn't sweat it. It all worked out in the end.

I learned later on after my departure that part of the reason for the lecture was because of how the Tyranny contract was structured with Paradox, which no one ever informed me of, despite my name being used specifically and despite my actual role on the project, both of which were kind of weird (and arguably insulting to the developers on the title). Whatever.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
MCA just spoiling all the secrets! O_O

I could never imagine while sitting in Russia, that I'll be so close to Miscellany of All Secrets, and the man whose name should be called the award for Really Good Games, I hope someday it will happen. "Gold Avellonium" - that sounds isn't it? )
I remember that I was buying a few copies of Fallout games back then, because I wanted to support you guys, and didn't know that all copies around the country were pirates. lol
Many do this, also because often people did not give back CD with game. )
Everybody knew about Fallout, even those who played only real-time strategies or Quake.
So sorry that van Buren was not released.

But life goes on, and on the horizon there are other possibilities...

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And that's way I did not rush my transcribing.:M
:rpgcodex:

No rush job as I just listened to the recording once again and I still didn't hear Chris's follow-up response. At that particular point there was a lot of cross-talking because the "expansion(s)" part had slipped out. Transcribing a 5 person interview to a 1 on 1 interview is slightly more complicated, especially in the free flow manner which it was held.

Chris made me feel quite comfortable and relaxed during my entire time with Obsidian. I certainly apologize to Chris Avellone if my interview in any way misrepresented him, his answers or caused issues for him.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My apologies, should have clarified - it was at the point where I believe the question was "so this [Tyranny] is your baby?/yours?" and while I replied, "no" (because it wasn't, and with good reason - in general, baby projects are dangerous to everyone, including the father), there may have been a gaggle of talking at that point, but I recall speaking even more after that about Brian Heins leading the project as director along with other elements, but I think that all got lost.

Unfortunately, I got lectured for the "no" part, largely because of its simplicity, and there was no record of anything else being said. Ironically, attempts to explain this weren't listened to either, but I doubt it would have mattered, so I wouldn't sweat it. It all worked out in the end.

I learned later on after my departure that part of the reason for the lecture was because of how the Tyranny contract was structured with Paradox, which no one ever informed me of, despite my name being used specifically and despite my actual role on the project, both of which were kind of weird (and arguably insulting to the developers on the title). Whatever.

Reading this and some other things I really, really hope there will be some kind of reconciliation at some point later on.
As someone who admires both MCA and Obsidian, I would be pretty sad if the not so great mood lasts for like ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom