Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Legends of Eisenwald

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure what's happening to GOG lately but I'm certainly not liking what I'm seeing from them. Everything from the horrid library change to things like this where they don't even seem interested in quality indie games. As I said over in the GOG wishlist, are they trying to just become a Steam clone forgetting their roots and what made them a better alternative...?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure what's happening to GOG lately but I'm certainly not liking what I'm seeing from them. Everything from the horrid library change to things like this where they don't even seem interested in quality indie games. As I said over in the GOG wishlist, are they trying to just become a Steam clone forgetting their roots and what made them a better alternative...?

I don't know if you've looked at Steam lately. What GOG is doing now in terms of accepting or rejecting games is more like anti-Steam.

Last edited:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I think Steam becoming too open is not that such a great thing either. If we released even a year ago, there wouldn't be 30 more games releasing the same week. Now it's going to become like AppStore where only big guys can win by pouring a lot of traffic there plus the press of course. As a result, I am afraid all "serious" indie games have less and less chance. Simple cheap stuff will take over.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
There are so many people plowing through indie games that the good ones usually surface regardless of the competition for visibility on the store.

That said, I think Legend of Eisenwald is a pretty hard sell for the kind of people that play through all of these indies. Namely because it's more of a budget strategy-RPG hybrid rather than a quirky platformer or some such (which is usually what these people go for).

I also can't think of a single Russian, Belorussian, or any eastern European non-AAA game meeting any success on what is sadly a western-dominated digital market. It's a space favored by American and West/North/Central European game developers.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Well, we were hoping for the fact this genre is so under-represented. There was a Gamespot review yesterday http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/legends-of-eisenwald-review/1900-6416187/, a pretty positive one despite the score of 7.

Whatever it is, something we didn't do well enough, the game's UI is a bit too unfriendly and the game itself is a bit too complicated. We will work on fixing some remaining most annoying bugs and then we will decide what we do next. I am proud of the game we did and that should lead us somewhere nice once debts are paid off :)

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Belarusian is good too! Since it was translated directly from Russian. All other languages were done from English and English version is not a translation but rather a rewrite, pretty much a full one.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Has the Gamespot review been posted yet?

Pretty positive review but its kinda strange that the main focus is that the reviewer can't seem to make up his mind whether he likes the historical setting or not.

Visiting a virtual medieval Germany probably isn't at the top of the to-do list of any tactical RPGers, but maybe it should be. While Legends of Eisenwald is something of a grim, brutal experience much like the land in question back in the 15th century, the game is certainly a unique addition to a genre that has mostly settled into a high-fantasy comfort zone. Strong storytelling and sheer novelty make guiding Heinrich and his pals around the dark forests of old-time Deutschland enthralling...even if you do miss the magic missiles and elves every so often.

THE GOOD
Atmosphere blends fantasy into real medieval Germany to create a unique game world
Deep RPG elements and solid, if traditional, turn-based combat
Absorbing storytelling
Stylishly gloomy aesthetic

THE BAD
Quest instructions can be confusing
Combat gets repetitive

Gord

Arcane
I wouldn't call the combat "traditional" turn-based, unless you consider everything turn-based automatically traditional.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
PC gamer review came out too. All of these three big ones are around 70 (PC Gamer and Gamespot), 73 IGN. IGN liked the combat but not so much the story, Gamespot vice versa, PC Gamer unclear :) Russian scores are all 80+ with exception of IGN Russian that gave us 75. And Russian sites played the game to the end and explored it even beyond.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PC gamer review came out too. All of these three big ones are around 70 (PC Gamer and Gamespot), 73 IGN. IGN liked the combat but not so much the story, Gamespot vice versa, PC Gamer unclear :) Russian scores are all 80+ with exception of IGN Russian that gave us 75. And Russian sites played the game to the end and explored it even beyond.

There are a few unflattering references to Jews (one particularly greedy and unscrupulous merchant, Jeronim the Jew, has eyes and mannerisms that clearly identify him)

RPG Codex GOTY

Luka-boy

Arcane
There are a few unflattering references to Jews
The dialogue in this game can be great like that.
2015-07-15_00001k5qnv.jpg

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

Does the release of reviews have a noticable (immediate) effect on sales? (Its probably top secret information but I can't help my curiosity :) )

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Does the release of reviews have a noticable (immediate) effect on sales? (Its probably top secret information but I can't help my curiosity :) )

When we were on Early Access, previews did have an immediate effect - sometimes the game would sell like 200-300 copies more when a preview from a larger publication came out. Or a letsplay video.

These recent reviews however don't seem to make any difference., unfortunately. Maybe it's because they are mixed and score is not that high.

Weasel
Some controversy is always good for a bit of publicity. If only they'd made a mild joke about trannies.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Some controversy is always good for a bit of publicity. If only they'd made a mild joke about trannies.

For an unknown indie dev with not much to lose, FULL controversy is even better. Just look at Hatred's success story.

But I guess Aterdux wouldn't want their game selling just because it causes butthurt on "Politically Correct" bots.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
For an unknown indie dev with not much to lose, FULL controversy is even better. Just look at Hatred's success story.

But I guess Aterdux wouldn't want their game selling just because it causes butthurt on "Politically Correct" bots.

We also have some quotes in the game from Mr. Putin! But so far it didn't cause much controversy either. Maybe we should be more pushing with that :)

Gord

Arcane
Might depend on what aspect they talk about specifically. LoE using a setting that's obviously meant to depict a historic period with people from the time (even though it's fictional and has some fantasy content), I don't see a big issue with characters acting accordingly (I'd expect it, in fact).
One or two things, however, (e.g. the description of some villages in Wizard Paths, iirc), might potentially be interpreted as you not having a very high opinion of some minority (gypsies in that case), as that is not a character talking 'in character'.

Luka-boy

Arcane
They're probably the same crowd complaining about Kingdom Come not having black people in XV Century Bohemia.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
In a way, our game has so much text, I doubt these small descriptions would call any attention. Even for discussion of jews, there are both positive and negative characters in the game. Merchant Simon in Windfeld is honest and honorable, some others are not. It's all a matter of perception I guess. We didn't want to have any censorship or forced diversity in the game. That's medieval times. Agree with comment on not having black people in Bohemia back then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom