Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Wasteland 3

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I haven't played W3, I'm just saying Tactics sucks.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
n1SS2Ne.png

:negative:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nice topical and relevant review of a brand new game. Well done.

Reviews of Wasteland 3 from 2020 no longer entirely reflect the game it is now. +M

(for example a lot of people early on complained about how crit-heavy it was for both sides, that was fixed through patching)

ferratilis

Magister
Patient gamers always win. I played W3 on release and loading times were just as bad as with other Unity RPGs (around a minute or more). Then, a month or so after release, they released a patch that improved performance, but more importantly loading, by around 60%. Not to mention all the other changes since release.

If everyone waited until PoE was patched to 3.0+ and with both DLCs, I'm sure the general consensus on it around here would be much more positive.

jackofshadows

Magister
Sometimes gather around and shit on a raw released game is actually more fun than playing it later in its better state.

Tyrion8338

Novice
Roguey It's better than FOT, isn't it?
The thing is that Wasteland 3 got worse combat and obviously less immersive world compared to fallout tactics(by chance I got tactics re-installed recently with mods).

I dont understad why people dont like tactics tbh, I did almost finish it some time ago and really loved it (last mission bugged)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I dont understad why people dont like tactics tbh, I did almost finish it some time ago and really loved it (last mission bugged)

The writing was Excuse Plot-quality, also not very lore-friendly as I dimly recall. I refused to play in real time, but playing in turn based was flawed because if you turned a corner in turn based mode, the enemies wouldn't actually show up in your line of sight until it was their turn. Additionally, with the map and encounter design for the areas I played, it was easy enough to crawl inch by inch barely taking damage (excepting those line-of-sight moments). I ended up quitting out of boredom midway through the Simpsons bonus level.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I must be the only person that actually likes Fallout Tactics.
I also liked Fallout Tactics. The death animations are some of the best. The only part that I didn't like were the robots. Enemies should bleed properly and turn into gibbs when they are hit a by gauss minigun salvo, an rpg or step on a mine.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Reviews of Wasteland 3 from 2020 no longer entirely reflect the game it is now. +M

(for example a lot of people early on complained about how crit-heavy it was for both sides, that was fixed through patching)
Pretty much all games work like this these days, the "release" version is barely out of alpha and then gets fixed later on. Do they get "2 years later" reviews too?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Patient gamers always win. I played W3 on release and loading times were just as bad as with other Unity RPGs (around a minute or more). Then, a month or so after release, they released a patch that improved performance, but more importantly loading, by around 60%. Not to mention all the other changes since release.

If everyone waited until PoE was patched to 3.0+ and with both DLCs, I'm sure the general consensus on it around here would be much more positive.

Exactly my point. No other game got this treatment on the Dex.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pretty much all games work like this these days, the "release" version is barely out of alpha and then gets fixed later on. Do they get "2 years later" reviews too?

If someone wants to write one and it's good enough, sure. Pillars of Eternity got a final retrospective review. I wrote one for Kingmaker back in August 2020. I play games on my own schedule, and if I see a notable game doesn't have a review, I'll submit one myself, that's it.

Codex Year of the Donut

Nobody was stopping you from doing a release review. This shit is free contributions.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ok 7 people have now laughed at this so I feel the need to clarify that i meant it in earnest:

Nice review @Roguey, even if I disagree with most of the conclusions.

the review is fine and touches on most of my own thoughts about the game, i just disagree with roguey about what those things mean. in short, the sum of what roguey describes i find to be more mediocre and less good than he does

now that's said, feel free to funny-react to this comment as well. i know you want to

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Pillars of Eternity got a final retrospective review.

What is often overlooked about that is that that review was intended to be a retrospective on RTwP and what shaped its most popular games and then subsequently a review of Pillars in its final state. I.e. RTwP retrospective + White March review. I blame Infinitron's troll headlining for the misconception that it was a Pillars of Eternity retrospective.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Arkane is probably one of the best game development studios out there in 2022. I loved Prey and would say it's in my top 10 games. Dishonored are a masterpiece as well. There's some much mediocrity in game development, let's at least recognize people with talent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom