Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
what a pointless effort

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
5 Chrono Trigger
Read the rules, PC games only. Emulators don't count.

5 Borderlands 2
5 Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty
5 Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage
5 Dungeon Master
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep

5 Borderlands 2
5 Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
5 Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty
5 Crusader Kings 2
5 Dungeon Master

I won't count DLCs as separate games, so you're just wasting 10 points.

:M

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Looking at the votes so far it doesn't seem that the new system is going to change much.

But seeing people assign maximum points to FNV is still kinda funny, so thanks for the effort.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I know that mods doesn't count but still - Ultima remakes on DungSiege engine is really cool game. Both of them.

made

Arcane
what a pointless effort
Everyone loves polls so why not have a poll with a different twist every year? They need to put something on the frontpage, and you're not churning out reviews fast enough. (Witcher boardgame or someshit is out *hint hint*)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
felipepepe: might I suggest leaving the poll open longer than till the end of January? Also, Juan_Carlo's way of voting is exactly what I predicted a lot of folks would do :M

Also, like usual, it fucks Might & Magic that it has so many games. WoX and VI/VII/VIII should really count as one game each respectively. People don't want to spend points on more M&M's than there favourite, leading to a bunch of people voting on singular games when VI and VII for example have so many similarities VII might be a fuckhueg expansion, really.

Looking at the votes so far it doesn't seem that the new system is going to change much.

No point-system is going to change the fact that the Codex loves Fallout and Baldur's Gate. No point-system is going to change the fact that only a few people count the GoldBox games as their favourites. All this vote will do is push out Icewind Dale from the Top 10 list, which i 'k I guess. Ultimately though, the Codex is what what the Codex is.

what a pointless effort
They need to put something on the frontpage

The only staff member who commented on this was me, and I suggested post-poning the poll until 2015 :M

So, what GLORIOUS INCLINE games have come out in 2013 that would warrant a new edition of the BEST GAME EVER poll?
The Administration™ is trying out a new voting system to see how things shake out.

Except no staff is involved here, like I said. Actually, weren't you one of the people behind setting this up?

I can see Morrowind grabbing a pretty good spot

the only true atrocity here

Arcanum doesn't belong anywhere near a top 3, but I think it'll still be there.

:bro:

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
felipepepe: might I suggest leaving the poll open longer than till the end of January? Also, Juan_Carlo's way of voting is exactly what I predicted a lot of folks would do :M

Yeah, sorry. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I just don't take these lists all that seriously. Everyone already knows Fallout 2 is awesome. I think it's more fun to see how high the "non-canon" games can get.

That said, I do unabashedly love all the games I voted for and only voted for them because I'd like to see them higher. So it's not a "vote the loser" thing.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
No point-system is going to change the fact that the Codex loves Fallout and Baldur's Gate. No point-system is going to change the fact that only a few people count the GoldBox games as their favourites. All this vote will do is push out Icewind Dale from the Top 10 list, which i 'k I guess. Ultimately though, the Codex is what what the Codex is.
Yup, outright banning these devs/games would be the only way to have something new. But then again, such list probably wouldn't be particularity interesting either, due to reasons I already mentioned in the other thread.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah, sorry. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I just don't take these lists all that seriously

Me neither. Which is why I was fine with the bi-yearly popularity contest. However, people (i.e. felipe + others) want to do serious poll-shit, but I find this system is no better or worse than the previous ones, except maybe for pushing IWD a bit down.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is it bad.. being on this site for a long long time.. and haven't played planetscape: torment? :P

Need a guide on how to get the best possible playthrough experience of that game, in 2014...! So I'm ready for Tides of Numenera once it releases..

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is it bad.. being on this site for a long long time.. and haven't played planetscape: torment? :P
It's a storyfag game, but also one of the very few storyfag games that are worth "playing" even if you're not an obnoxious storyfag.

EDIT: wow, looks like PST is going to steamroll this new poll.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It's a storyfag game, but also one of the very few storyfag games that are worth "playing" even if you're not an obnoxious storyfag.

Allright... Imma give it a spin then.. and really try to get into the world... It seems strange enough to be interesting.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
And there's no change, compared to the old method of top 50. Because most profilic games get very strong and weighted votes from casuals

The point is to get the stuff that does not belong into the Top 10 out (such as IWD). Of course, the very top won't change, but there can be quite a lot of change in the follow-ups.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Also, like usual, it fucks Might & Magic that it has so many games. WoX and VI/VII/VIII should really count as one game each respectively. People don't want to spend points on more M&M's than there favourite, leading to a bunch of people voting on singular games when VI and VII for example have so many similarities VII might be a fuckhueg expansion, really.

Yeah, Might & Magic doesn't get enough love.

Also, I totally forgot about Lands of Lore! I guess I will put it in instead of *gasp* Fallout.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah, Might & Magic doesn't get enough love.

Also, I totally forgot about Lands of Lore! I guess I will put it in instead of *gasp* Fallout.

Don't worry. It did something much more blasphemic in my list. It was either Lands of Lore or Wizardry 8 :troll:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I know that mods doesn't count but still - Ultima remakes on DungSiege engine is really cool game. Both of them.

I was tempted to vote for the Ultima 6 Project myself. Definitely one of the most enjoyable CRPGs I've played the past couple of years.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Next time we should have a poll with 25 plus points and 10 minus points. Oh the glorious butthurt...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe: might I suggest leaving the poll open longer than till the end of January?
Why? Isn't 3 weeks enough for all the regulars and lurkers to vote?

Well, I'll do some sub-list based on the results, like "Best Series" or a per year/decade list, so that should give it some spotlight.

Storyfags. Storyfags everywhere.

I wouldn't be so sure... did a quick partial counting, and it seems like a solid incline from last year's list... no ToEE, Baldur's Gate 1, Icewind Dale 2 or KOTOR 2 at the top, and stuff like Wizardry 7, Dark Sun and Ultima Underworld rising.

:thumbsup:

Sure, Fallout and Baldur's Gate II are favorites and will remain as so, but I find the list more honest now. Seeing BG 1 out of the Top 10 is already a victory.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane

Need a guide on how to get the best possible playthrough experience of that game, in 2014...! So I'm ready for Tides of Numenera once it releases..

It's okay. Feel your urge, mang~

I played Fallout New Vegas just last year (2013). Feel. Your. Urge.

I am still waiting the urge for Temple of elemental evil. So far, no luck~

Next time we should have a poll with 25 plus points and 10 minus points. Oh the glorious butthurt...

I would put -5 on Fallout 1 and Baldur's Gate 1 just for the butthurts. Though I truly feel they deserve it despite their places on my list.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't really think this system will change much at the top - i.e. most people will probably still go "Fallout/Fallout 2/Torment/Arcanum/BG2 for 5 points each". Still, it's nice that we're at least attempting something different.

Ravel myluv

Learned
I'm going to play MOTB soon so it might have made the list, but I prefer to vote now for a Bioware game and Bastion instead, and let the rage flow! :troll:

Telengard

Arcane
The points system will stand a good chance of knocking Icewind Dale down. Which is its stated goal, so in that it is a success. But it will also do so at the expense of all the old, obscure, or indie efforts, which won't even have a chance at the top 10. Even if everybody on here who played such a game were to step in and vote a 5er, it won't be enough to compete against the many hundreds of points that the popular games are already well on their way to getting. Particularly so with M&M and Gold Box that have so many titles, which will be splitting their already meager votes.

If everybody who played a game gives it a 5 rating, but it still can't be a best-of RPG, there's a problem in the data.

Yet, that is but the nature of a points system covering a spread where those voting haven't actually experienced everything being voted upon. The points will tend to massively accrue in the hands of the super popular.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just for fun, partial results, counting only the first 2 pages, for 48 votes:

Planescape: Torment - 113
Fallout 1 - 103
Fallout 2 - 96
Baldur's Gate 2 - 67
Arcanum - 49
Gothic 2 - 40
VtM: Bloodlines - 38
Wizardry 8 - 35
Deus Ex - 34
Morrowind - 34

Where's your Sawyer now, Roguey ?
:smug:

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
Dat Top Five was surprising...+M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom