Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG games with gamepad support ?

Peachcurl

Cipher
Couch/sofa can be very comfy, sure. On the other hand, it may not be the most healthy kind of sitting arrangement. A good chair may be a better idea (but of course: also somewhat expensive). Also, at some point back pain may be something you'd want a professional have a look at (but be careful not to get talked into needless surgerey).

Robber Baron

Savant
Gothic 1-3 play excellent with a controller - even though there's no native support (you emulate the keyboard either through Steam or a 3rd party app).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Every game in existence plays better on mouse and keyboard than on gaypads.

With the exception of flight sims and car racing games, which play better on joysticks and steering wheels.

But gamepads aren't the best solution for any genre.
M&KB, joystick, steering wheels are all valid input devices.

Gamepads are not. They are for fags.

Joysticks work perfectly for arcade games (beat'em all, shoot'em up particularly).
I miss NEO GEO arcade sticks, perfect in all aspects, particularly durability and ergonomic design.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

With the exception of flight sims and car racing games, which play better on joysticks and steering wheels.

You're just mad because your little dwarf hands are too tiny to hold a controller. An Xbox one controller to you feels like a fightstick with an extra stick.

You're a fag. (A very small one)

mkultra

Augur
Love gamepads for third person games, essential i'd say. i love how you seamlessly can go from sneaking to running for example, good luck doing that with mouse/keyb... the ergonomics is obviously just tons better too. for first person and strategy, no - for almost all other genres they will make the game more enjoyable, more ergonomic.

Cross

Arcane
I don't know why people complain about using a mouse on a sofa. It's perfectly comfortable, you just have to put something under the mouse to keep it steady, like a book or a notepad.

i love how you seamlessly can go from sneaking to running for example, good luck doing that with mouse/keyb...
Splinter Cell games did just that with the mousewheel. Though I'm not sure what your issue is with using Ctrl/Shift to instantly switch between sneaking and running.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
57cc46cd-e1fa-40ef-825b-1e03a06e6420_1.0127d2abe1ed204212ade0a9533c8b5e.jpeg

If it can't be played on this its garbage.

mkultra

Augur
I don't know why people complain about using a mouse on a sofa. It's perfectly comfortable, you just have to put something under the mouse to keep it steady, like a book or a notepad.

i love how you seamlessly can go from sneaking to running for example, good luck doing that with mouse/keyb...
Splinter Cell games did just that with the mousewheel. Though I'm not sure what your issue is with using Ctrl/Shift to instantly switch between sneaking and running.

Switching with keys feels very sub-par in comparison to seamlessly be able to do this, i especially like it in games where heights and falling to your death can be a thing.
not sure what sofa has to do with the controller, it's the controller itself which is more ergonomic, e.g not having to twist your wrist like with a mouse, there are several benefits. Not saying mouse is awful, but the older i get the more i've realized how bad it is ergonomically in comparison.. love the PS5 controller...

Cross

Arcane
Switching with keys feels very sub-par in comparison to seamlessly be able to do this
What is not seamless about using Ctrl/Shift to instantly switch between sneaking and running? And why would you make this particular argument when one of the distinct advantages of mouse/KB is allowing you to seamlessly switch between many different weapons and items, something that typically requires accessing a menu if you were to play with a controller?

i especially like it in games where heights and falling to your death can be a thing.
Such as?

not sure what sofa has to do with the controller, it's the controller itself which is more ergonomic, e.g not having to twist your wrist like with a mouse, there are several benefits. Not saying mouse is awful, but the older i get the more i've realized how bad it is ergonomically in comparison.. love the PS5 controller...
How is holding up a controller with both hands more comfortable than lightly resting your hand on the mouse? What are you doing that you have to twist your wrist?

Last edited:

mkultra

Augur
Switching with keys feels very sub-par in comparison to seamlessly be able to do this
What is not seamless about using Ctrl/Shift to instantly switch between sneaking and running? And why would you level this particular argument when one of the distinct advantages of mouse/KB is allowing you to seamlessly switch between many different weapons and items, something that typically requires accessing a menu if you were to play with a controller?
It's instant with keys, but not seamless and analog like on a controller where you seamlessly go from sneak,slow walk, walk,run, and you only need the stick.

Keys can be good, i like it for first person shooters when i need to quickly change weapons. but weapons in RPG's is usually just a button press on the controller (typically the digital cross).

Any open world RPG? Elex, all the Risen games, Witcher 3, all the Bethesda ones, all Dark Souls etc.. all the RPG's worth playing basically.

How is holding up a controller with both hands more comfortable than lightly resting your hand on the mouse? What are you doing that you have to twist your wrist?
To use a normal mouse you are twisting your wrist in a unnatural way that can lead to problems. Usually not a problem for younger people and yes there are now pistol-grip mouses, i have one, not really super digging it though.. one or two hands doesn't matter since i'm gaming anyways. Also for RPG's you usually have one hand on the keyboard, unless it's a very simplistic mouse driven game. You can sit in any position too, i personally like to lay down, i see it as a bonus feature ;)
Again, not saying mouse/keyb is worthless, it's decent and it's what i've used for the most of my life, but i've gotta say these last few years i'm beginning to favor the controller more and more, even found you can be really precise with it, almost to the degree of mouse, takes tons and tons of practice though, not something you learn in a week...

mkultra

Augur
rusty_shackleford, your taste in RPG's is so bad you're not even willing to list 'em lol, retard cuck :)

the fuck are you even doing in the thread, read the title perhaps... "oh im so shocked to see there are people who enjoys RPG's with gamepad support, makes me absolutely furious!" lol get a life cellar dwelling loser.

Last edited:

mkultra

Augur
Ultimas 1-5 for example, also all Gold Box games.

Are you really playing those games though, or are you just namedropping old games that you potentially could play, but you really wouldn't if we are honest?

Obviously i've also tried going back, but nah, there's really nothing, absolutely nothing in terms of gameplay or even story/characters that makes them stand out in any way in comparison to something much, much more recent. I recently played Dark Sun 2 for example (well, i started it), but i rather quickly realized i only played for nostalgia, not because i was having a super great time with it, i was somewhat impressed with the UI though (for such an old game).

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Ultimas 1-5 for example, also all Gold Box games.

Are you really playing those games though, or are you just namedropping old games that you potentially could play, but you really wouldn't if we are honest?

Ultima 1-3 are good mostly for historical reasons but 4 and 5 are legitimately fun to play if you look past pretty meh combat. One youtubber released a great video about it Ultima IV recently:

mkultra

Augur
what i can't stand with those old games, Ultima 7's included, is the choppiness of the movement, it's so distracting and ugly, the graphics otherwise i'm ok with (U7 is quite beautiful).

jackofshadows

Magister

Side-scrollers.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Side-scrollers.

Arrow keys + ctrl alt space

samoilaaa

Educated
Get a cybernetic spinal column and never have to worry about your back hurting again.
i paid 200 dollars for a chair with lombar support , it didnt help
doesnt matter , i played KCD a very good game i guess now im waiting for the next rpg with controller support , maybe Pathfinder WOTR will have , i finished kingmaker with a controller and had no problem with it

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Get a cybernetic spinal column and never have to worry about your back hurting again.
i paid 200 dollars for a chair with lombar support , it didnt help
doesnt matter , i played KCD a very good game i guess now im waiting for the next rpg with controller support , maybe Pathfinder WOTR will have , i finished kingmaker with a controller and had no problem with it

I have a spinal injury and know all too well about the pain in the spine. I understand dude and I wish that I could get an cybernetic spine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom