Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Watch GOTY 2013

WhiteGuts

Arcane
You can also specialize your character in Payday 2, but I don't think anybody would call it an RPG.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What a load of bulshit.
KpsYeOr.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can also specialize your character in Payday 2, but I don't think anybody would call it an RPG.

I didn't say ME1 was an "RPG" because I'm not sure I know what that means (at least on this forum) but I do think it's more of an RPG/closer to being an RPG than its sequels, for the reason I specified.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I wonder, is my left nut closer to being an RPG than my right one?

Something either is an RPG or isn't, you can say you think the design of of the first is better than the second (I don't) but it doesn't make it "more of an RPG" than the sequel.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Something either is an RPG or isn't

I don't subscribe to this way of thinking.

For example, if you define an RPG in the Sawyerian way, ie, a game that lets you develop a character in significantly differing ways as you see fit, then that's a trait that can be measured along a spectrum - it's not binary.

Cadmus

Arcane
As usual our list of games is for the large part based on the contents of our database. The lists might be incomplete or contain games you think should not be in there. Feel free to discuss that in our forums and in the meantime you can either add that game you feel is missing (by means of the 'other' option) or don't vote for the game you think should not be on that list.
This sounds like they don't care at all and if anything, a little controversy over the selected titles won't hurt nobody.

Something either is an RPG or isn't, you can say you think the design of of the first is better than the second (I don't) but it doesn't make it "more of an RPG" than the sequel.
Eh, finally! What is an RPG! I've always wanted to participate in this famous debate!

uh now I can't think of my own definition, only rehashed opinions from this forum....

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

For example, if you define an RPG in the Sawyerian way, ie, a game that lets you develop a character in significantly differing ways as you see fit, then that's a trait that can be measured along a spectrum - it's not binary.
That has more to do with implementation than genre definition.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

That has more to do with implementation than genre definition.

Uh, okay.

I don't think what I'm saying is particularly outrageous by Codexian standards. I'm sure we have more than a few posters who would agree, for example, that Fallout is "more of an RPG" than Baldur's Gate, because of its greater C&C or whatever.

If you want to say that it's not "more of an RPG" but just a "better RPG", then fine, potato potahto. *shrug*

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't think what I'm saying is particularly outrageous by Codexian standards. I'm sure we have more than a few posters who would agree, for example, that Fallout is "more of an RPG" than Baldur's Gate, because of its greater C&C or whatever.
We call them dumbfucks.

If you want to say that it's not "more of an RPG" but just a "better RPG", then fine, potato potahto. *shrug*
Good. RPG is not some measure of quality.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The first Mass Effect allows a greater degree of roleplaying because of the larger differences between abilities and classes.

I think this is what Infinitron is saying.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

The first Mass Effect allows a greater degree of roleplaying because of the larger differences between abilities and classes.
Now that seems like a whole lot of opinion. Take the Vanguard for example, in ME1 he's basically a hybrid of soldier and adept, with some skills of either, being able to specialize to be more like one or the other. In ME2 the vanguard has the exclusive charge power, which along with shotgun and melee turns into the anti-popamole class, which is much more unique than the ME1 version.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Now that seems like a whole lot of opinion. Take the Vanguard for example, in ME1 he's basically a hybrid of soldier and adept, with some skills of either. In ME2 the vanguard has the exclusive charge power, which along with shotgun and melee turns into the anti-popamole class, which is much more unique than the ME1 version.
Well feel free to disagree, but I'm just saying that's what he meant by "more RPG".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I believe the Vanguard is considered to be the big exception to the popamole rule in ME2.

Cadmus

Arcane
Honest question - is Heroes of Might and Magic IV to be considered more of an RPG than MassEffect 1 due to being so mechanically RPG-ish without any role playing? I haven't played ME so I dunno...

Skyrim isn't much more of an RPG than ME is. But it does have several more "RPG-like" features going for it, such as its open-world design. Then again, all TES games, being first-person by default, have been hard to include in the list of pure RPG's without any hesitation. Daggerfall is the exception. Morrowind is also hard not to call a real RPG.

I'm...pretty sure that is not the reason people are hesitant about calling them RPGs.

Is Dragon Commander on the list because it is made by Larian?

It's on the list because it has dragons

hHZ3t0.png

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Anyway, character development is exclusive of rpgs and maybe sims , if anything else has it then its a thing "with rpg elements". In the same way the core of mass effect 1 is comprised by dialogues and character development, utterly boring and stupid exploration, and combat.

Mass effect 2 on the other hand is more about intense combat and completely linear gameplay where they try to tell you a epic story about nothing relevant.

Its really simple, one its an RPG because it has so many elements of the genre that it is predominant when playing it making them the core of it, ME2 is a shooter with rpg elements because thats the core of the experience, and its a p. good core, too bad the rest is lacking.

Anyway, character development is exclusive of rpgs and maybe sims , if anything else has it then its a thing "with rpg elements".

So character development is exclusive of RPGs, except when it isn't...then it's something else that just happens to possess an exclusive characteristic of RPGs, but it's not a RPG because it lacks exclusive characteristics of RPGs an-

YnSMmzS.gif

Mortmal

Arcane
Rpgcodex is like the dirty bar in the slum, frequented by riff raff but still have some sanity left sometimes despite the hardships, rpgwatch is more like the nice and tidy tea salon with old and nice people . Seems the nice old people have became senile... Bioshock vote is mandatory of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom