Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware RPGCodex plays Dungeon Crawl Classics

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Damn." Pobbin chimed in. "Well, if'n there were any traps about I'd assume they've blow us all to smithereens already. I suppose..." Pobbin turns to Gylan. "You wouldn't mind trying to pry out this here crystal" Pobbin points to the Empty Star crystal, "would ya?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hob cocks his head to the side a little at Pobbin. "Haha, the slot be empty, whadya want him to pry out?" Cepheus the woodcutter fidgets a bit and in an impatient tone grumbles, "what we standing around fer? We come up here all this way and now we's just standing around with our thumbs up our arses. Siegbert tolt us the way be clear, so I say we get that prybar out and put it to its proper use." Nicomedes hangs back, thoughtfully rubbing his chin, apparently content to let others do the acting and talking.

Alchemist

Arcane
At the suggestion of prying the Empty Star's jewel out, Gylan says "Alright then - I'll give it go. Not sure what good it will do but I'll try it..." And he walks up to the door and attempts to pry the jewel from the door with his crowbar. If it succeeds he'll try opening the door.

(If nothing happens he'll suggest "One of you stronger folk can make use of this prybar if you like - to try prying the whole door itself open." and will offer it to any who want to use it.)

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cepheus the woodcutter puffs out his chest and confidently strides over to Gylan. "Gimme that thing, if'n you don't mind and gimme me some room." He spits into his palm and wedges the end of the prybar into the gap between the door and the jamb, right where the bolt (probably) is and pulls back on the bar with all of his might.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Poul says, "I have an iron spike that you can use if you need any leverage."

Aug answers, "Oh be careful. The more blemishes we create along the stones' facets, the last value we'll get out of them."

Slolth rests on his crutches and replies, "Even a little bit of cash might help, Aug. If we don't pry it out it might not be here when we get back."

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
The ostler first poked his crowbar at the gem tentatively; once he saw that nothing bad had happened, Gylan began trying to pry the Empty Star crystal out, his hand trembling in fear and excitement.

The crystal is embedded in the door surprisingly firmly. After a minute or so, Gylan finally felt that the gemstone is beginning to move. At the same time, however, the crystals began shimmering with a strange light. Suddenly, Gylan felt that something bad is about to happen. Dropping his crowbar, Gylan jumped backwards almost instinctively when a flash of radiance light bursted out from the crystal formation.

Trap damage (1d8=1)
Gylan's Ref save (1d20+2=16)

Gylan dropped to the ground. The air in the hallway is filled with the smell of scorched cloth and flesh. Fortunately, Gylan's companions soon found out that the ostler survived. There's a deep burn injury on Gylan's right shoulder; if he had been half a second later with his dodge, his chest would probably have been burnt to a crisp by now.

Gylan is now at 2/3 hp.

Do you still want to pry the door open?

Alchemist

Arcane
Gylan shouts curses as he staggers to his feet, wincing in pain as he clutches his still smoldering shoulder. Exclaiming "No traps he says!!" as he glares in Siegbert's direction. He points to the crowbar on the ground as he backs far away from the door (about 20' if possible). He says "Have at it - I reckon I'm done with that door!" as he nods toward Cepheus.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Siegbert shrugs sheephishly, "I dinnae ken nothin' aboot the gemstones lad, I were only checking the jamb, and asides I never learnt nothin' aboot runes 'n such ... eh ... but ya look tae be none too worse fer wear? Aye?" Cepheus gulps audibly and shrinks back from the scorched stone a step or two.

Nicomedes emerges from his reverie and exclaims, "I feel like we're missing something? What did Ol' Man Robert say? He said the portal had opened under the empty star as it rose right? Maybe we're too early, possibly too late? He never said nothing about needing to prise the door or press any buttons did he?" Nicomedes looks back down the stone shaft, into the night sky, looking for the the stars that might correspond to the pattern on the door and tries to spot any star that might be moving. He concentrates for up to 30 minutes if need be.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Zehal's... uh... astrology check? (1d20+2=15)

On hearing Nicomedes' suggestion, Zehal suddenly realized why the crystal formation on the door isn't exactly the same as you could see through the portal. Of course - the nighttime sky moves! Zehal can't believe he'd forgotten that.

About half an hour later, the movement of the stars is quite visible. The stars you see when you look through the portal is now arranged in a pattern more similiar to that inscribed on the door, though they're still not quite the same. However, Zehal, with his experience as a sailor, predicts that if you'd wait another hour or two, the star pattern should become more similiar to the crystal formation still - possible even identical.

Alchemist

Arcane
Zehal says to Nicomedes "Ahh I think you're on the right track. Indeed, as my days at sea taught me, the alignment of stars around us are in constant motion - we often used the constellations for navigation. Perhaps when the sky's arrangement aligns with the crystals in a bit of the time - our passage through the door will be unhindered!" He studies the door's configuration closely and will check back toward the real sky periodically as the time of alignment approaches. When the stars seem right - he'll watch the door carefully for any changes, and will try opening the door.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
As time passed, movement of the nighttime sky is made the view through the portal increasingly similiar to the crystal formation inscribed on the door. About one and half an hour later, the star pattern seen here is almost exactly identical to the crystal formation. Though nothing appears to have happened to the door, when Zehal pulled the handle the door swung open quite easily - as if it was never locked to begin with.

You carefully look beyond the doorway. The doorway leads into a dark, quiet room. With the help of Siegbert's lantern, you were able to see that another door standing not too far ahead on the opposite of the room. The door looks just like the one you've opened, but without the jewels embedded on its surface. The door is flanked on both sides by what appear to be iron statues, though you can't get a clear sight on them because the frame of the entrance door is blocking your line of sight.

It's now five hours after sunset.

Alchemist

Arcane
Eager to leave the confines of the crowded hall - Zehal ventures into the room right away. Ogin, Gylan and Arbin (in that order) soon follow. Gylan grabs his crowbar off of the ground as he goes. With the aid of elven infravision and supplemental light from Siegbert's lantern, Zehal carefully looks about the room. He will keep some distance from the iron statues but try to examine them from afar (about 10 feet). Arbin can also see well in the dark, and looks around but he is a bit less courageous to get too far into the room.

Arbin.png
"Didn't the old man say something about 'iron men' attacking? I wonder if he meant... those..." Arbin says as he points over toward the iron statues, a look of fear in his eyes.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
As Zehal entered the room and looked around, he found out that the door is actually flanked by four iron statues, two to a side. Two of them were previously not visible as your sight were blocked by the door frame. Each statue depicts a different fighting man in a round iron helmet and thick scaled armor holding a long spear in a throwing position. All the spear-tips are aimed at... Funny, they're all aimed at the door through which Zehal just entered.

Zehal suddenly realized what this means. The elven navigator screams and frantically tries to jump away as the iron statues suddenly hurled their spears at him!

Four attack rolls (1d20+2=22, 1d20+2=21, 1d20+2=22, 1d20+2=3)
Damage of the thrown spears (3 hit) (1d8=5, 1d8=8, 1d8=2)

Alas, Zehal was not fast enough with his evasion. One of the spears missed the mark completely and hit the wall directly, but the other three spears were thrown with terrifying speed and accuracy. Two hit the hapless elf in the chest, no doubt piercing his heart, and the other struck right through his neck. Zehal dropped to the ground immediately, with an expression of shock and regret on his face.

At least it was a quick death.

Two crits. I'm not rolling the crit effects because frankly, that wouldn't be very nice.

Alchemist

Arcane
Staring in horror at the fate of Zehal - Ogin, Gylan and Arbin go nowhere near the door for now, waiting to see what the others do.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hob and Siegbert look on in stunned silence at the ruin who was once Zehal. "Holy shee-it!" exclaims Nicomedes, half laughing, "Did you see that? It was like 'zip', 'zing', 'zapow'! Cepheus the woodcutter, lets out a blood curdling howl of rage, "You basterts! Look what ye done to Zehal?!" He charges forward and picks up the spear that missed Zehal and hurls it with all of his might at one of the statues. "Take that you farkin sons o' whores!"

Alchemist

Arcane
Emboldened by Cepheus' attack on the statues, Ogin the farmer grips his pitchfork in both hands and prepares to assist Cepheus in battle. He'll approach the doorway (but not pass through yet) to see what happens within the room. Gilly the Goat starts bleating nervously at this turn of events, and loyally follows Ogin towards the doorway.

Gylan scrambles to grab his crowbar off the ground.

Don Peste

Arcane
Young Timmy starts screaming: They killed him... and then they're going to kill me... OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
Shut up, boy! —Samuel Stuart yells at Timmy. We are the chosen ones! We shall pass, and these foul creatures cannot stop us!

Samuel Stuart opens his arms and starts walking toward the statues. I will protect you!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Slolth screeches as Zehal falls, loads up his sling and fires. "Oh, gods... I don't wanna die here..."

Slolth misses with a 7, but has an initiative of 16.
1d20-2=16, 1d20-1=7, 1d4=2

Paul charges forth, hand-axe at the ready for a strong swing. "You're a pack of fools, all of you. But I won't be called a coward!"
Poul goes on an init of 11, but he misses anyway with an 8 despite a strong swing.
1d20=11, 1d20=8, 1d6+1=7

Hep grips his dagger and charges forth once Slolth's stone sails past, "Come on you idiots! They tossed the spears and are unarmed!"
Hep has better luck. 10 for Initiative, 14 to hit the closest statue, and 2 for damage.
1d20=10, 1d20+1=14, 1d4+1=2

Aug follows nervously with his own blade out. "Are you sure... I mean. Of course you're sure." He then tells himself, "Gems, Aug... do it for the shiny gems."
Aug goes behind Hep. The coward he is, he'll attack the statue Hep hit. If that statue is already down, he'll attack the next.
1d20=2, 1d20=18, 1d4=4

Siveon

Bot
"Zehal, I barely knew ye..." Barry muses. "...but I'm not sitting out on this one!"

"That's the sprit, m'boy! Everyone, CHARGE!" Pobbin screams. The entire group dashes towards an unaccompanied statue and attacks with each of their weapons.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Enraged by the sudden and tragic death of Zehal, many of the adventurers charged at the statues.

Wesker, Barry and Samuel's attack rolls (1d20=4, 1d20=9, 1d20=8)
Pobbin's attack roll vs. statues (1d20-1=6)
Hob's attack roll vs. statues (1d20+1=8)

Unfortunately, in your blind fury, your attacks either missed the mark completely or bounced off the scaled armors worn by the statues. Hep and Aug were the only ones who managed to actually hit the statues, and all they accomplished with their attacks is creating a banging noise and damaging their daggers a little on the soild iron. The good news is the statues does not seem to mind. Completely unfazed by your attacks, the statues remain in the post-throw position and make no further movement.

Siveon

Bot
"So...did we get it?" Barry remarks, panting heavily.

"Eheh, I be thinkin' that's a no, lad." Pobbin chuckles, and sheathes his weapon. Samuel does the same, as well as Wesker. Samuel looks around the room, seeing if the only the way to continue is truly the door on the other side of the room. Wesker remarks in the mean-time, "Now what of Zehal? Every man deserves a burial of some kind."

Samuel sneers, "Forget him, he's dead and we're not."

Alchemist

Arcane
Ogin.png
Ogin says, "He ought to be buried, but not in this accursed place. We'll have to wait til we're done here and back home. Maybe track down his next of kin - but I don't know of many elves local in the area." Ogin drag's Zehal's corpse to a corner of the room and out of the way. "Reckon he'd want us to use anything useful he has..." as he picks up the spyglass, chalk and shortbow, and his 42 copper pieces. He puts the spyglass, chalk and copper in his large sack.

"These spears might be of use to some of you..." as he removes the bloody spears from Zehal's corpse and lays them on the ground.

"And you look like you'd be better off using this here bow rather than wackin' stuff" he says to Gylan, handing him the shortbow. Gylan chuckles "Heh you may be right... though I can't say I've ever shot one. I'm pretty good with darts at the saloon!". Gylan practices aiming the bow a few times at the statues to get a feel for it.

Ogin looks around the room, eyeing the statues warily.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
The room is dry and dark, just like the hallway before. On the southern wall is the jeweled door through which you have just entered, and on the northern wall is an ordinary-looking wooden door. Samuel sees no exits other than the two doors.

Ogin took a look at the spears. They seem normal and usable.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cepheus retrieves the spear he futily hurled at the statues somewhat sheephishly, with Siegbert, Hob and Nicomedes following behind him. Nicomedes sizes up the now inert statues.

Question for the Judge: What's up with the statues? Is there anything valuable like jewels or other ornamentation that might be "liberated?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom