Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs are evolving into..

kosie99

Novice
World of warcraft.

Sorry Codexers, but the CRPG that you love is dying, if not dead already.

Oh, there will be another one or 2 games from Bethesda and Dragon Age from BioWare, but by then even BioWare will realize that the real money is in online gaming. That is why they are starting up a MMO studio in the first place. They know that another Baldur's Gate or NWN will not sell like it used to - the players that loved those type of games are all grown-up now and they have to cater for a new crowd.

Action RPGs on Consoles and MMOs are the future. Adapt now...

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
kosie99 said:
Adapt now...
Or what? I'll not be able to con myself into wasting money on the newest shit?

Thanks, but no thanks. You'll find I can live perfectly well without NextGen-RPGs. Maybe I'll buy an Xbox360 and play Gears of War instead. At least then I'll have a proper Action game instead of a crappy Action-RPG.

Gambler

Augur
Claw said:
Maybe I'll buy an Xbox360 and play Gears of War instead
So you are going to con yourself into wasting money on the newest shit then? Gears of War today, Mass Effect tomorrow, Fallout 3: A Post-Apocalyptic Action/RPG the day after tomorrow. Great plan!

Buying a console is a form of adaptation, much more so than playing a MMORPG. If you haven't noticed, consoles are responsible for 90% of the next-gen stupidity wave. And Oblivion would not be what it is without XBox.

LCJr.

Erudite
kosie99 said:
World of warcraft.

Oh, there will be another one or 2 games from Bethesda and Dragon Age from BioWare, but by then even BioWare will realize that the real money is in online gaming. That is why they are starting up a MMO studio in the first place. They know that another Baldur's Gate or NWN will not sell like it used to - the players that loved those type of games are all grown-up now and they have to cater for a new crowd.

Thanks for stopping by and clearing all that up.

Ladonna

Arcane
Like I care about this when Indie games are stepping up to the crease?

Fuck off and adapt then, I am staying on this train.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I at least can understand the appeal of a well done Action RPG. I don't get MMORPGs though. Is World of Warcraft really that good? Because all the other ones that I tried were interesting for a couple days than I got bored with the game and annoyed with the other players. Even if there wasn't a subscription, I doubt I'd play any past the first month.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
FrancoTAU said:
Is World of Warcraft really that good?

No. It's a chat room with grinding, furries, and lotsa anime. Typical 21st century scum. Cannabis is a better drug. BABIES DON'T DIE BECAUSE OF IT

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE - JOIN THE BORG BOX

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
fizzelopeguss said:
Claw said:
kosie99 said:
Adapt now...

Thanks, but no thanks. You'll find I can live perfectly well without NextGen-RPGs. Maybe I'll buy an Xbox360 and play Gears of War instead.

Fuck overrated gears of war, get lost planet instead.

FFS, support western devs. FUCK the japanese monkeys. Didn't they hurt us enough with their goddamn anime? They've lobotomized an entire generation!

kosie99 said:
World of warcraft.

Geez, and you assholes thought I was pathetic :roll:
At least I have some hope in indie games...

Voss

Erudite
You are.

stargelman said:
Your vocabulary is flawed. 'Devolving' is the word you meant to use.

It isn't. Devolving is a bullshit pseudo-science concept. He used evolution correctly in terms of context. Of course, applying it to a completely man-made industry, where bad decisions are a conscious choice... that isn't correct.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Potaending.jpg

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Cthulhu said:
FrancoTAU said:
Is World of Warcraft really that good?

No. It's a chat room with grinding, furries, and lotsa anime. Typical 21st century scum. Cannabis is a better drug. BABIES DON'T DIE BECAUSE OF IT

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE - JOIN THE BORG BOX

I've read that wow is more addictive than crack and heroin combined, and does double the damage. Trying to figure out whether this is an overstatement or an understatement.

I've played the game, and I thought it was shit. I can't compare it to those drugs as I haven't tried them, but what I can say is that I'd rather go out and get drunk on a friday night than stay in and pretend to be an orc or an elf with a bunch of other weirdos pretending to be orcs and elves in some bizarre fantasy land. What the hell do they think LSD was invented for anyway?

It's all a little too much like the Matrix to me. Some of these people literally spend every second from the moment they get up till the moment they go asleep(if they actually bother going to sleep) logged into this game. I dunno about you guys, but to me that's just plain fucking creepy. It wouldn't surprise me if MMO's were banned one day for being too addictive.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gambler said:
Buying a console is a form of adaptation, much more so than playing a MMORPG. If you haven't noticed, consoles are responsible for 90% of the next-gen stupidity wave. And Oblivion would not be what it is without XBox.
Well, I never seriously considered buying a console anyway. If I wait long enough, I'm sure Gears will come to the PC.

PS:

I was in the WoW beta, by the way. I tought it was pretty good - for an MMORPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom