Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTwP is the Same as TB the Only Difference Being You Pick The T

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I will always prefer TB but I don't mind round-based RTwP (e.g. NwN, SWKotOR).

Fairfax

Arcane
ad&d is phase-based, have you heard of weapon speed factors and initiative rolls and round segments - or do you just spam the attack button like it's red alert?
The Codex doesn't know AD&D is phase-based. Most users have never played it, so they assume D&D has always been turn-based because that's what 3E is.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Round-based RTwP is the worst RTwP there is because of how slow and artificial it feels.

Rounds have no place in a real-time system. They're made for turn based. If your game is real time, don't force a round based system into it. If your system has rounds, make it turn based.

Easy as that.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Now instead of neatly organized game-play you have clusterfuck to micromanage more than turn based game in which everything is neat and tidy.

+ thanks to real time gameplay you can stuff filler mobs everywhere something which doesn't work in turn based games as anyone with two eyes will notice that those filler fights are bad bad bad bad BAD.

Do you TB apologists actually not understand what an autopause is? Combat starts, the game pauses (automatically), so you assign an action or target to each character, and then every time one of your characters finishes a spell or kills their target, the game again automatically pauses. I can't remember if it was IE or PoE, but in one of those the game centres the camera on which character caused the autopause. If you find it hard to manage that you're a monumental retard.

"Filler mobs are vastly harder to tolerate in TB than RTWP, this somehow reflects well on TB" - 4D CHESS

TB is just RTWP with mandatory, extra, longer pauses. Excruciating. And no, making things happen sequentially doesn't add 'tactical depth', if anything it reduces it.

And if RTWP somehow confuses you by being ''too fast'' or "a clusterfuck''.... what do you think the 'P' in RWTP stands for? Maybe use the pause function, you simians.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Round-based RTwP is the worst RTwP there is because of how slow and artificial it feels.

Rounds have no place in a real-time system. They're made for turn based. If your game is real time, don't force a round based system into it. If your system has rounds, make it turn based.

Easy as that.

And yet, while NwN is one of the worst cRPG engine ever built, KotOR games are quite enjoyable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I want to kidnap a Turnbasedfag, lock them in the basement, and only give them food or water when they win a ranked match of Starcraft:Broodwar or DotA2
Yeah,some TB fan do get really butthurt that they can't play anything else. Still both systems are pretty cool and have their pluses and minuses.

Curratum

In short, the codex basically likes games that can be played and fully enjoyed by severely disabled people, because they are not games you actively play on your computer but abstractions of rules and numbers of the most horribly boring kind, the kind that requires 2 inputs every 5 minutes.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Generally RPGaming is combined with number crunching and analyzing, not reaction times and clicking abilities, so yeah. When the latter becomes more important, the game becomes less "RPG"

Curratum

Generally RPGaming is combined with number crunching and analyzing, not reaction times and clicking abilities, so yeah. When the latter becomes more important, the game becomes less "RPG"

I agree, but I also like at least some degree of manual dexterity involved, or rather active inputs that can change the outcome of events or combats. There needs to be some sort of balance. I tried getting into Wizardry and I just couldn't. The game seemed to lean so heavily on overthinking minute shit and planning and thinking about numbers that I just lost my entire sense of ADVENCHUR, which is the biggest draw of RPGs for me.

Black Angel

Arcane
I agree, but I also like at least some degree of manual dexterity involved, or rather active inputs that can change the outcome of events or combats. There needs to be some sort of balance. I tried getting into Wizardry and I just couldn't. The game seemed to lean so heavily on overthinking minute shit and planning and thinking about numbers that I just lost my entire sense of ADVENCHUR, which is the biggest draw of RPGs for me.
This just means proper RPGs like Fallout 1&2 aren't for you, mate.

Doesn't mean proper RPGs are for 'severely disabled people' or have 'rules and numbers of the most boring kind'. It's enough that some people here would dismiss genuinely good games like Dark Souls as popamole, we don't need people like you dismissing turn-based games as boring and archaic.

In fact, I'd say it's even worst crime than dismissing games like Dark Souls as popamole.

The biggest problem with typical RTwP games, in my opinion, is that they take a turn-based game (generally, based off some form of PnP RPG or wargame), then make it real-time, but try to keep the turns (as "rounds" which make the gameplay really awkward and disjointed) even though they really don't work well as a concept in real-time gameplay, because they think they "have to" to make their audience happy. If you want to copy tabletop gameplay just make your game turn-based. If you want a real-time game, don't try to copy tabletop gameplay so directly.

The pausing aspect isn't actually a problem at all, it's the whole "trying to have turns/rounds in a real-time game" thing that ends up being shit every time. There are real-time games that allow you to pause and make fine-tuned adjustments (Grand Strategy for example, as well as most RTS) and it works fine, but it's because they're made to be real-time and aren't trying to do a weird combination of turn-based and real-time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
RTwP that actually works well:

Note the timer for each action measuring the time in seconds up to 2 decimals. Rather than having actions take abstract "rounds", they take a certain amount of time, and having a character with higher reaction times can be a lifesaver because shooting and hitting 0.1 seconds before your enemy does can be the difference between victory or death.

It's an actual real-time system where the fact that it's real time has an actual effect on the gameplay. Stats like agility make a huge difference because they actually make you attack faster (rather than the stupid one attack per "round" thing most RTwP games have). This also allows for more tactical variability than the simplistic round-based RTwP systems. It's kinda like the RTwP version of turn-based systems that use action points instead of action per turn.

For that matter, action point systems will always be superior to one action per turn systems for turn based PC RPGs. One action per turn is great for pen and paper RPGs like D&D where it keeps the amount of recordkeeping low, but on a PC action points are just superior.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In short, the codex basically likes games that can be played and fully enjoyed by severely disabled people, because they are not games you actively play on your computer but abstractions of rules and numbers of the most horribly boring kind, the kind that requires 2 inputs every 5 minutes.

What an idiot you are. Anyway, yes, I like STATS and NUMBAZ. There is no crit like a ToEE crit.

toee.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dark Souls at least doesn't look like shit! :positive:
The same line was used by your mum when she compared you to your bro.

"Tyron at least doesn't look like shit!" said she while gazing in to the emptiness behind your left ear,after you had disappointed her......yet again.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
TB is just RTWP with mandatory, extra, longer pauses

It is? then how do you play RTWP chess ? if turn based systems are nothing more than RTWP with pauses surely any system could translate to RTWP. I await your virtual RTWP chess game. Retard.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It is? then how do you play RTWP chess ? if turn based systems are nothing more than RTWP with pauses surely any system could translate to RTWP. I await your virtual RTWP chess game. Retard.
TB is more tactical while RTWP is more strategical. I do like both types of combat,but do get annoyed at all the TB fanatics that want to make everything in it because they are too old to keep up with other types that need frequent impute. Don't know why TB fanatics are so butthurt.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

eh........... http://rtchess.deapthoughts.com/

the TB fanatics that want to make everything in it because they are too old to keep up
gr8 b8 m8, i r8 8/8.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom