Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: Bethesda has been in turmoil since the death of their CEO

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I didn't feel comfortable making my own build in Underrail. It was a lot of numbers and not a single geometric shape in sight.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Don't see how that's much of an advantage. A generic fetch/kill Quest is still a generic fetch/kill Quest no matter where you pick it up.
Yes, if you look in isolation and out of context, however when you get to Morrowind, the quests have skill level requirements, you recieve names like apprentice, journeyman and etc..., most jobs an apprentice does are shit jobs as expected, you only start getting more interesting jobs at higher levels and the kill quests involve you following NPC directions to find someone in some hut in some God forsaken bizarre ash land instead of having a arrow pointing there so a "simple" kill quest become kind of mini adventure and as the enviroment of Morrowind is extremely original, going around picking flowers and killing things while sightseeing the bizarre arquitecture and strange world is fun.

Of course, you could get that same system, transplant it to another game and have a much worse effect, so when people start talking of fetching/kill quests without mentioning the context they are in, it is very hard to judge a game that way, if you didnt like Morrowind aesthetics and original lore, you would hate the fetch quests much more than someone who did liked it as they depended of you liking the world. You do your quests, learn interesting lore while learning the lay of the land what is very fun, they are an excellent excuse for you to travel around.

If those quests were more involved, would they be better? Yes, but realistically with so many guilds, you cant make every single quest more involved and some quests, really dont need to be more involved because the fuction they accomplish dont require that. Also, more "involved" quests many times end being into tuning the quests into stupid gimmicky fests or you getting a basic kill quest and adding alot of copy paste filler in the way that is what Bethesda had been doing since Oblivion. Realistically a game has content tier A, B and C, trying to make tier B and C into A is a very bad idea and will blow the budget of the game for no real gain (Do you really need an epic 3d chess twist where picking flowers end you getting to Oblivion every single time? Oblivion did that and was awful.) that is why I dont understand when people say they are against fetch quests as if that was an evil on itself. The question is if you use your content B and C well like teaching lore and game mechanics on an organic way to complement tier A and not just as purposeless filler throw away content.

When people talk of fetch quests, it is better to ask what gameplay function that quest accomplishes, yes, advancing the main story through tier C fetch quests is a bad idea but if you are trying to teach the player how the alchemy system works, experiment with the plants to learn their properties because you are on the mage's guild, getting him to pick flowers and craft potions isnt bad. When I hear from an open world RPG developer that they have 200 dungeons or 10k planets now with Starfield, I know that they are pretending that whole content is tier A when it is not, I know it pointless shit content just by the description, those 200 dungeons would be better to be reduced to 10 really good dungeons with some tier B and C content around to support them on a world worthy exploring.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
It's 1k planets. You made good points although I feel you didnt need to shit on Oblivion to make them. They held up fine on their own.

Ryzer

Arcane
I didn't feel comfortable making my own build in Underrail. It was a lot of numbers and not a single geometric shape in sight.
You must have EXTREMELY HIGH IQ to understand Underrail, we know.
Meanwhile in reality : Garbage crafting system, level scaled loot, cooldowns, Fetch quests, respawning enemies ,real time based vendor restocking feature, copy-pasted scenery like you know the same things you love to hate but slurp it up because muh Underrail.
And again try to prove any of the points I listed is wrong because it's undeniably true for anyone who isn't a blindfolded fanboy and has played the damn game.

Skorpion

Educated
I wonder if Bethesda is breaking apart internally over whether or not Underrail or Elex is a better game like this thread?
Naw, probably an argument between Morrowind and Oblivion when I think about it

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Garbage crafting system
One of the greatest crafting system in an RPG. Name the attributes of a good crafting system, and we'll see how Underrail stacks up.
level scaled loot
Demonstrably false, this has been proven to you several times but you ignore all examples of it.
cooldowns
That work great in the combat system they've been designed for. Lots of RPGs have no cooldowns and trash combat.
respawning enemies
Only in certain areas and it exists in a logically consistent way as a form of setting cohesion and world building.
real time based vendor restocking feature
And this is a problem because? Explain to me how you'd improve upon the vendor restocking feature. It'll be hard since you never beat Depot A.
copy-pasted scenery
Please point to the copy pasted scenery. Again, will be hard since you didn't get past the first fifteen percent of the game.

In conclusion, kill yourself.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get all the disdain/hatred for Underrail. Was a pretty cool game.

I never thought Underrail was that controversial on the Dex. It has some haters (as most popular games here do), but overall it has always seemed well-regarded.

Robotigan

Learned
I called this shit months ago, when we still had not seen spaceflight footage for a game called "Starfield."

Breaking_Bad_S04E01__Box_Cutter__-_Denny%27s_Scene_0-25_screenshot.jpg

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Decado was featured in Juicehead's latest video.

I hate Juice head so much.. Every video he spends usually 5 - 7 minutes rehashing shit he's already said, always trying to squeeze out that 10:05 video runtime.
It's so obvious that he's milked his schtick dry..

There's only so much 'hot new leaks' news or 'latest epix mods on nexus LEAKS!!' that you can squeeze out every day.. He could branch out to making lore videos or something but that would require actual work.. instead of him just reading tweets and 4chan posts over his B-Roll shitty gameplay or E3 trailers.

If this moron actually makes a livable wage off this shit I might die a little inside.

I'm really hoping for Cyberpunk 2077 expansion and starfield to release already so he runs out of content.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hate Juice head so much.. Every video he spends usually 5 - 7 minutes rehashing shit he's already said, always trying to squeeze out that 10:05 video runtime.

There's only so much 'hot new leaks' news or 'latest epix mods on nexus LEAKS!!' that you can squeeze out every day.. He could branch out to making lore videos or something but that would require actual work.. instead of him just reading tweets and 4chan posts over his B-Roll shitty gameplay or E3 trailers.

If this moron actually makes a livable wage off this shit I might die a little inside.

I'm really hoping for Cyberpunk 2077 expansion and starfield to release already so he runs out of content.

I feel this way about the vast majority of Youtubers, tbh.

I especially love the game strategy/build videos where the guy talks like he's some authority with 30 minute+ videos that describe basic game mechanics incorrectly because the YTer has the IQ you'd expect from someone who doesn't have a real job and spends their time making shitty Youtube videos.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I feel this way about the vast majority of Youtubers, tbh.

I especially love the game strategy/build videos where the guy talks like he's some authority with 30 minute+ videos that describe basic game mechanics incorrectly because the YTer has the IQ you'd expect from someone who doesn't have a real job and spends their time making shitty Youtube videos.

If someone has spent even a few hours experimenting with a game's mechanics.. and then tries to post as an authority.. that gets a small pass from me - even if they are pants-on-head retarded,

Juicehead literally is a bottom feeder. His entire content delivery model is:

- Find a """Leak""" / Mod Overhaul / Dev News drop for Cyberpunk / Starfield / Fallout / Elder Scrolls,
- vomit that up on a video that is at least 10:05 duration for the algorithm.
- 1 minute ad drop

This will lead to videos where he doesn't have 10 minutes of content so he pads the shit out of it rehashing boring shit he said the last 3 videos.
It's the most jaded soulless method for making money ever.

This guy is so desperate for "Leak" content that he will run with any 4chan shit post.. he will even take a vague tweet by a developer like "Hey I like Doritos" and click bait that as "DEVS DROP NEW CYBERPUNK UPDOOT" and then spend the entire video rehashing old videos.. then splash that tweet on the screen and say "WHAT DOES THIS MEAN???"

The mental exertion he exercises for this - this guy should be screwing on toothpaste caps at a factory assembly line.

What freakish timeline are you from where people get fired for incompetence?
Guess I'm just from a country and used to industries where there are standards. Sorry to trigger your inadequacy but I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
TBH I wish my employer was more willing to fire the incompetent. Half my co-workers would go away and the ones remaining would get twice as much done.

Modron

Arcane
If someone has spent even a few hours experimenting with a game's mechanics.. and then tries to post as an authority.. that gets a small pass from me - even if they are pants-on-head retarded,
Stop touching poop they could make a 20 point bulleted list with a little preamble or closing paragraph explaining their reasoning and save everyone 30 minutes to 2 hours watching an autist talk in circles and make stupid faces.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom