Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I really don't like the increasing drama and other nonsense surrounding this series.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I really don't like the increasing drama and other nonsense surrounding this series.
Greater exposure inevitably brings drama. I think for Yakuza it began all the way back with the first model replacements because of some drug scandal or another, I forget. Then Yakuza 0 brought entirely new audiences into the fold.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I bet they got YongYea to be dub Kiryu because the VA from Y1 and 7 was probably a white guy. Can't have whiteys voicing POC.

With how much celebrity bullshit they've always had in these games, it's no big surprise. Y5 especially had all that shilling for the Watami group, a black company that worked employees to literal death. It's just that this kind of stuff goes unnoticed by western players.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What was the final Codex verdict on Ishin (remaster)?
I'm playing righ now. 10 hours in. For me, it's a great game, with all the ingredients of a Yakuza game, but during the Edo period. Combat is fun, with the different styles. Substories and minigames galore.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
What was the final Codex verdict on Ishin (remaster)?
From what I've seen, it's the best of the Kiwamis so far because it just copy and pastes the combat from the original. However, it is still far inferior to the original for many of the same reasons as the previous remakes, like gaudy special effects, unnecessary cast changes altering characters, and new content that seems shoehorned in and unnecessary. It also adds those retarded health bars floating over every enemy, which I fucking hate, it looks so bad. The HUD is disgusting in general with those gaudy trading cards taking up such a big portion of the screen.

Kenzan is still Japanese only too, and it doesn't seem like it will ever be localized since they skipped over it in favor of Ishin. So the best way to play this series is still to just play the original Japanese console versions, because RGG Studios seems incapable of doing simple remasters without fucking everything up and adding shit nobody asked for like Atlus does. If you can't deal with having to follow a translation guide, then at least Ishin Kiwami isn't AS bad as the first two Kiwamis.

quixotic

Learned
These next two games are make-or-break for me regarding RGG. All this weird shit involving random western ecelebs and removing peoples’ names from credits… I don’t like it.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
These next two games are make-or-break for me regarding RGG. All this weird shit involving random western ecelebs and removing peoples’ names from credits… I don’t like it.

An unhealthy fascination with the US and the western markets is the death knell for Japanese games.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
11 hours in, I haven't used a single commander card. Health bars could have been skipped, but don't ruin the game.

The game is fine, even if the original is more genuine.

I have 15% completion, and I can't stop playing.

Modron

Arcane
11 hours in, I haven't used a single commander card. Health bars could have been skipped, but don't ruin the game.

The game is fine, even if the original is more genuine.

I have 15% completion, and I can't stop playing.
I posted it somewhere but I was like 30 hours in before I even got the cards. Just running around crossing things off my completion list.

Terra

Cipher
Great news!

I remember when I first heard that Yong was wanting to get into voice acting and myself and a work colleague both thought he was joking as his YT videos always had fairly... well, robotic delivery. To be fair, he did later do a video that demonstrated more range than either of us were expecting. That said, Kiryu's english VO in Y7 sounds like a generic officer from Dynasty Warriors so maybe it'll be an improvement in that regard, it can hardly be much worse, lol. Dubbed Kiryu just feels wrong at this point anyway, though him aside the rest didn't seem too badly cast in Y7 from what I saw.

Caim

Arcane
I remember when I first heard that Yong was wanting to get into voice acting and myself and a work colleague both thought he was joking as his YT videos always had fairly... well, robotic delivery.
Guy's cadence reminds me of William Shatner.

Häyhä

Arbiter

Agreed, now that Nagoshi is gone we'll see what happens to the series with these new titles and if they can breathe anything new and interesting into them. I'm on the fence certainly, I'll play them but if they fail to leave an impression I might be done with the series. It was a great almost 20-year-run anyway, nothing lasts forever in this world.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Judgment question:

so I'm a few hours in, enjoying it, not as much as the mainline Yakuza games, but I appreciate its more direct/linear storytelling. my main question/observation: Judgment does very little to distract you from the main path. Does this change at some point. I was kinda shocked that I haven't triggered any side quests as one traditionally does in a Yakuza game. The only side activity I've found is the "friendships" you can establish.

Ivan

Arcane
edit: side content is coming in now in chapter 2. I'm surprised it took this long, but the charm, humor and wackiness is coming in droves now!

Deflowerer

Arcane
There are sidequests. You probably are just still in the first chapter which is very long compared to other RGG games. It opens up more later.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Judgment does very little to distract you from the main path. Does this change at some point. I was kinda shocked that I haven't triggered any side quests as one traditionally does in a Yakuza game. The only side activity I've found is the "friendships" you can establish.

There will be sidequests, as was mentioned above.
It's pretty much the same as other Yakuza games, although there may be about 20% fewer sidequests in general in number if you count and compare them at the end- but in Judgment they were a bit more impactful and interesting than mainline Yakuza ones tend to be, which made up for it.

Edit: also, the drone races are fucking NICE, man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom