Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
from guardian's review:

However, on the default difficulty, combat still feels a little easy – as in LAD, I almost never saw the need to use the Poundmates summoning system
:negative:

The team has addressed all of these issues in Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth with huge combat improvements and enhancements, and the team even took care of the difficulty spike by actually giving you recommended gear and levels for specific story points throughout the story.
:hmmm:

guess need to wait for some1 to share clear save so you can pump up difficulty

Lyre Mors

Arcane
So they dropped the ball even harder on the difficulty with this one? Kinda killed any last little bit of interest I had in the game. I love the series, but when combat is such a focus as it was in 7, and there's good mechanics there to support interesting encounters at higher difficulties, and they STILL refuse to add a satisfying higher difficulty option, I just can't see the reason in that.

I think just after all the hours I've sunk into the series, I'm kind of sick of RGG Studio's casualized approach to difficulty. I know the target audience was originally drunk and tired salarymen without a ton of time on their hands to take on difficult games, but that isn't necessarily the case anymore.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Default difficulty has always been shit though innit? It does sound like they overcorrected response to the midgame power spike in 7, which was only a problem if you were a side quest skipper.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Let's be real. The hardest difficulty in 7, and really almost every game in the series is what should be labelled "normal", and there should be one or two difficulties above THAT available.

The difficulty spike in lategame 7 was awesome, and pretty much the only time the game presented a challenge throughout. It needed many more moments like that, and that there isn't a single one now in 8 is just a shame.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's be real. The hardest difficulty in 7, and really almost every game in the series is what should be labelled "normal", and there should be one or two difficulties above THAT available.

The difficulty spike in lategame 7 was awesome, and pretty much the only time the game presented a challenge throughout. It needed many more moments like that, and that there isn't a single one now in 8 is just a shame.
Hardest as in the ng++ ones? Not played those yet.

It is kinda mixed because the Ishin harder difficulties were absolutely bullshit. Though I suppose it's on me for going for that right from the get go.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Hardest as in the ng++ ones? Not played those yet.
Neither have I, because I'm not going to immediately replay these massive games, and maybe never will.

I mean that there should be a reasonably challenging "Very Hard" from the beginning of all of the games. I haven't played Ishin, so I can't speak on that difficulty, but the only other Yakuza that had somewhat acceptable difficulty on Very Hard was Yakuza 3 besides the original PS2 games.

Modron

Arcane
the only other Yakuza that had somewhat acceptable difficulty on Very Hard was Yakuza 3 besides the original PS2 games.
That was by accident since speeding up the frame rate to 60fps+ made enemies block a shit ton more.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

The game was a slog even without reloading all the time because you're a bdsm freak

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Well-designed challenging JRPG combat doesn't require a party wipe and gameover to be tense and interesting. Curb-stomping every enemy - most bosses included - you come by without a single worry is neither interesting nor fun though. It's boring and shitty.

Yuber

Educated
I am so done with piss easy JRPGs.
Any infos if there will be a hard mode patched in later?

Yuber

Educated
https://www.polygon.com/24047430/like-a-dragon-infinite-wealth-review-pc-xbox-ps5

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth takes 8 hours to get started, but it’s worth it​

laugh-smile.gif

No thanks m8

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Well-designed challenging JRPG combat doesn't require a party wipe and gameover to be tense and interesting. Curb-stomping every enemy - most bosses included - you come by without a single worry is neither interesting nor fun though. It's boring and shitty.
You're going to pretend the excavator fight wasn't a skill check, or Majima and Saejima especially

Lyre Mors

Arcane
You're going to pretend the excavator fight wasn't a skill check
I found it to be a breeze, with only a mild amount of brain activity needed.

Majima and Saejima
That's the big one that everyone had a problem with that I already referred to.

Even so, we're saying there's two challenging fights in the entire game? Not enough.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Majima and Saejima

Even so, we're saying there's two challenging fights in the entire game? Not enough.
The proper way to make Yakuza more playable in my mind is to compress these games as the cutscenes were ridiculously numerous

Ivan

Arcane

Majima and Saejima

The proper way to make Yakuza more playable in my mind is to compress these games as the cutscenes combat encounters were ridiculously numerous

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinite Wealth is out on Steam. It capped at 27k users in the past 24 hours. Their biggest every Steam launch.

I took a look at their DLCs, and lol the greed is hilarious. It's just as bad as Atlus and Falcom games.

What is even more lol is that they have a post-game dungeon locked behind the master vacation bundle, and that one is €20, while the base game is already €70.

Like I said before, had I not found the game for $50, I would never have gotten it day one. Problably my last Yakuza game bought at day one. Oh, and my copy should arrive tomorrow.

Caim

Arcane
Infinite Wealth is out on Steam. It capped at 27k users in the past 24 hours. Their biggest every Steam launch.

I took a look at their DLCs, and lol the greed is hilarious. It's just as bad as Atlus and Falcom games.

What is even more lol is that they have a post-game dungeon locked behind the master vacation bundle, and that one is €20, while the base game is already €70.

Like I said before, had I not found the game for $50, I would never have gotten it day one. Problably my last Yakuza game bought at day one. Oh, and my copy should arrive tomorrow.
110 bucks for the complete edition, and then there's the various pay2win purchases.

As the kids these days would say: omegalul.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

Yeah this one is a guaranteed sale buy for me.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
y7 gets rubbish bin discounts quite regularly maybe that will end too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom