Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Iucounu

Educated
It's not that drug traffickers and slavers will make their deals in the Zone.

It's just that locals will start doing it.

Why go into anomaly by yourself when you can use a slave for this?
Indeed Clear Sky's Bandits had some slave workers in Garbage. But how do drug traffickers fit in?

mondblut

Arcane
Eeeh, they can be kind of creepy, you know? Watching you all the time, acting as though they totally just happened to walk on the same street as you for the n-th time... Also they're always ugly bitches.

There are no ugly bitches when the only competition are the Fleshes and a comrade's butt. Any woman in the Zone who's not claimed as a private property of a tough-ass murderous warlord is gonna have a train run on her from Prypiat to Kiew, whether she wants it or not. One possible exceptions would be among strictly disciplined paramilitary groups that take no shit from bandits and free stalkers, but even then they'd have to be stay-at-home moms quartermasters or something, never venturing out where that train awaits.

Last edited:

Iucounu

Educated
Eeeh, they can be kind of creepy, you know? Watching you all the time, acting as though they totally just happened to walk on the same street as you for the n-th time... Also they're always ugly bitches.

There are no ugly bitches when the only competition are the Fleshes and a comrade's butt. Any woman in the Zone who's not claimed as a private property of a tough-ass murderous warlord is gonna have a train run on her from Prypiat to Kiew, whether she wants it or not. One possible exceptions would be among strictly disciplined paramilitary groups that take no shit from bandits and free stalkers, but even then they'd have to be stay-at-home moms quartermasters or something, never venturing out where that train awaits.
But for how long time periods are most Stalkers thought to stay in the Zone? If it's just a week I suppose they could focus on their original mission. Meanwhile those that have made the Zone their permanent home may not have getting laid their highest priority in life anymore, or they wouldn't have settled down there in the first place.

Watched latest trailer, realized that they're using American voice actors and not Ukrainian actors speaking English with a Ukrainian accent.

Total fucking bullshit.

I'm a Ukrainian American who has never been to Ukraine and the main appeal of the original games were the genuine Ukrainian atmosphere, almost as if I was visiting Chernobyl and Pripyat in-person.

It doesn't make sense to use American voice actors in this context, it's about as bad as American movies that hire British actors to play a European character, regardless of whether they're from Brittain or not.

Fuck, I would accept American voice actors doing their best to speak with a fake Ukrainian/Russian accent, LOL... But I'll settle for using Ukrainian audio in-game with English subtitles!

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
An American character or two in the zone would actually be authentic, a little race mixing; people from other nations seeking its secrets, but otherwise by and large all slavic would for sure make sense. It's almost strange that the only people in the zone in the three stalker games are ALL slavic without exception, though more believable and tasteful than them being entirely American.

So anyway, if everyone is American now that would be weird and very dumb. Surely that's not what they're doing? A non-negligible part of the appeal of these games is the slavic-ness of the entire thing. Also Russians and Ukrainians are very prideful, nationalistic (and sometimes a little brainwashed) peoples - misrepresenting them and the STALKER games in this way is sure to result in notable backlash. Which...can often be a good thing for a game's success - drama/ragebait increases exposure and ensures people talk about the game and not some other stupid thing going on like bear sex for instance. The AAA game industry has mastered trolling retarded gamers to this end for decades, though if ragebait is what this is in this instance is less clear-cut than usual.

Not much triggers me more than ragebait and simpbait tactics, watching all the retards fall for it, and yet there is nothing I can do.

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
the fact that they've hardly showed anything related to gameplay is concerning, and don't get me started on the English voice acting - it is *awful*. i am going to instantly switch to the Ukrainian dub whenever i play STALKER 2 several years from now

Quatlo

Arcane
Watched latest trailer, realized that they're using American voice actors and not Ukrainian actors speaking English with a Ukrainian accent.

Total fucking bullshit.

I'm a Ukrainian American who has never been to Ukraine and the main appeal of the original games were the genuine Ukrainian atmosphere, almost as if I was visiting Chernobyl and Pripyat in-person.

It doesn't make sense to use American voice actors in this context, it's about as bad as American movies that hire British actors to play a European character, regardless of whether they're from Brittain or not.

Fuck, I would accept American voice actors doing their best to speak with a fake Ukrainian/Russian accent, LOL... But I'll settle for using Ukrainian audio in-game with English subtitles!
This reminds me of rewatching Stargate SG-1 recently, where russkies are actually played by Russians or at least people from around there - they have different accents (probably depends where from post-ZSSR they are, I only can tell a difference between Russian, Belarusian and Ukrainian accents). Its a really small detail that noone seems to care about anymore, but an extremely important one if you don't want to ruin the atmosphere for people that actually have a minimal knowledge of the world.

A non-negligible part of the appeal of these games is the slavic-ness of the entire thing. Also Russians and Ukrainians are very prideful, nationalistic (and sometimes a little brainwashed) peoples - misrepresenting them and the STALKER games in this way is sure to result in notable backlash. Which...can often be a good thing for a game's success - drama/ragebait increases exposure and ensures people talk about the game and not some other stupid thing going on like bear sex for instance.

The slavic culture embedded in all three original games was about 50% of their appeal.

Seriously, without that, STALKER would have been another run-of-the-mill sci-fi shooter.

The atmosphere made up for what the games lacked in terms of story.

The Metro series by comparison have a way better plot and graphics, but are linear, and the Russian aspect of them arguably contributed to about 25% of their appeal.

Obviously they're based on legitimate books, but I can imagine an almost identical post-apocalyptic monster zerg taking place in London or New York City.

There have been other nuclear plant meltdowns around the world during the last several decades, but Chernobyl is by far the worst.

Also FYI—one of my relatives was part of the construction crew that reconstructed a new concrete sarcophagus after the old one fell apart.

Ash

Arcane
A non-negligible part of the appeal of these games is the slavic-ness of the entire thing. Also Russians and Ukrainians are very prideful, nationalistic (and sometimes a little brainwashed) peoples - misrepresenting them and the STALKER games in this way is sure to result in notable backlash. Which...can often be a good thing for a game's success - drama/ragebait increases exposure and ensures people talk about the game and not some other stupid thing going on like bear sex for instance.

The slavic culture embedded in all three original games was about 50% of their appeal.

Seriously, without that, STALKER would have been another run-of-the-mill sci-fi shooter.
Umm, no. I like it primarily for its combination of modern shooting mechanics and realism faggotry with old school non-retarded gameplay. It is certainly not run of the mill at all, in fact it is probably the only singleplayer first person shooter in the 2000s I have a high degree of respect for and even then they are only 8/10 games for me. Without that, I would not be interested. Without that, it would be Metro or Call of Duty.

Umm, no. I like it primarily for its combination of modern shooting mechanics and realism faggotry with old school non-retarded gameplay. It is certainly not run of the mill at all, in fact it is probably the only singleplayer first person shooter in the 2000s I have a high degree of respect for and even then they are only 8/10 games for me. Without that, I would not be interested. Without that, it would be Metro or Call of Duty.

The gameplay was badass, but I didn't play vanilla STALKER at all though, only modded.

Ash

Arcane
Most of the STALKER gameplay mods I've played do very little to actually enhance the gameplay. They're very minimalist and faithful in approach, both a good thing and a bad thing - the gameplay could be a lot better with some intelligent liberties taken.

Gunslinger took some good liberties, namely expanding upon the weapon upgrade system and gunplay, making healing require an animation so you can't just spam it without issue, but also one or two bad ones too - namely the changes to controllers. It turns those encounters into silly hide and seek and PSI resistance stat seemed to no longer be relevant when engaging them. Nonetheless I highly recommend Gunslinger.

deuxhero

Arcane
An American character or two in the zone would actually be authentic, a little race mixing; people from other nations seeking its secrets, but otherwise by and large all slavic would for sure make sense. It's almost strange that the only people in the zone in the three stalker games are ALL slavic without exception, though more believable and tasteful than them being entirely American.

So anyway, if everyone is American now that would be weird and very dumb. Surely that's not what they're doing? A non-negligible part of the appeal of these games is the slavic-ness of the entire thing. Also Russians and Ukrainians are very prideful, nationalistic (and sometimes a little brainwashed) peoples - misrepresenting them and the STALKER games in this way is sure to result in notable backlash. Which...can often be a good thing for a game's success - drama/ragebait increases exposure and ensures people talk about the game and not some other stupid thing going on like bear sex for instance. The AAA game industry has mastered trolling retarded gamers to this end for decades, though if ragebait is what this is in this instance is less clear-cut than usual.

Not much triggers me more than ragebait and simpbait tactics, watching all the retards fall for it, and yet there is nothing I can do.
I thought the implications were that the Mercs and/or Freedom (note their use of NATO calibers over Duty's Pact equipment) were propped up by some nebulous western glow in the darks.

Total fucking bullshit.

Steam lists a full Ukranian voice option for what it's worth.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The atmosphere made up for what the games lacked in terms of story.

The Metro series by comparison have a way better plot and graphics, but are linear, and the Russian aspect of them arguably contributed to about 25% of their appeal.

Obviously they're based on legitimate books, but I can imagine an almost identical post-apocalyptic monster zerg taking place in London or New York City.

There have been other nuclear plant meltdowns around the world during the last several decades, but Chernobyl is by far the worst.

Also FYI—one of my relatives was part of the construction crew that reconstructed a new concrete sarcophagus after the old one fell apart.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R just isn't S.T.A.L.K.E.R without cheeki breeki, doctor's sausage or drinking vodka to cure radiation.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik

SoC had some of the best weapon ballistics in FPS games at the time, plus relatively uncaged AI which was moving around levels almost freely in combat - features which really made it stand out from the rest.

For example, SoC was one of the few games (other being ArmA) that simulated bullets ricocheting from the ground, and one of the rare FPSes that had bullet drop

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom