Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Sacred boards the planes

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
chrisbeddoes said:
But it will not run correctly.After 12 hours you have the water bottle problem and who knows what else.

Yes, if you're running it from the virtual CD, then you have that problem, but only if you're running it from the virtual CD.

Oh and did you guys missed that part ?

Andareed
Author of D-Tools Add-on Utilities

Afaik, PCD just checks if daemon is installed (alcohol too i think). So check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{3910E82F-43CB-409C-9147-0A536A89AC3C} and rename DisplayName to something else.

Not sure if this is valid only for virtual drive though.

The part that this guy is the developer of the infamus DAEMON Tools ?

I underlined some parts which you might want to read a few times more carefully.

The installation will occur BUT the quests will be broken.
And it is a blacklist.

I'm waiting for more links, Chris. Somethign that backs up what you're saying as opposed to conjecture based on misinterpretting what others are saying and then, as Voss said, making a mountain out of a molehill.

Exitium said:
The game uses a copy protection mechanism called Vob which does in fact search for the presence of the latest (and previous) versions Alcohol 120% as well as older versions of Daemon Tools. The latest version of D-Tools (v3.46) however is not blacklisted and installing the game with the original CD or virtual CD with that version installed on your computer will be fine.

VOB just makes sure the CD the game is running from is a CD and not a virtual mount. It does this in a similar manner to what I said in the other thread about DTools intercepting software signals. You check for the install, you check the device, if it's not hardware, then you do the little protection thing.

It's rather silly that they chose to do this, considering that the prime reason for this game's sales is for LAN and Multiplayer gameplay on Ascaron, which requires a legitimate CD Key to operate. The problem with the water flask issue is that the trigger sometimes doesn't work due to the presence of CD Burning software and as such legitimate customers may be penalized unless they call tech support to give them the trigger.

I agree. The CD Key is the ultimate copy protection as far as I'm considered. Unlike VOB, the CD Key won't be obsolete with a new version of something. DTools probably changed it's interrupt and/or registry info, and now the VOB Sacred ships with is no longer valid and doesn't work. So, all that work done by Ascaron dealing with those quests and things is now nullified - but the CD Key is still there.

What you said is tantamount to saying that a mugger has the right to shoot you in the face if you refuse to pay him because he gives you the option to live or die by giving him your wallet, and by refusing to give him your wallet you are in fact choosing to pull the trigger on yourself.

No, because the software is supposed to be run from the original CDs - not virtual ones. Hell, that's the whole point of CD protection schemes, always has been. This one is just smarter than SafeDisc and the other ones. Then again, one legitimate reason why virtual CD mounting exists is because of how lame SafeDisc is. Checking the CD every several seconds is very, very stupid and can really cripple the performance of a game. VOB works a shitload better in that it checks for the existance of virtual CD mounts first, then checks to see if the CD in question is virtual. Interacting with the OS is a hell of a lot better and faster than interacting with a slow piece of hardware like a CD-ROM. That and hardware can be emulated, which is basically what D-Tools and the like do.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
If all it does is make sure that you're not running the game from a virtual drive then I don't really have a problem with it, if it just checks for Daemon Tools and similar programs however I'd say it's a gross violation of my privacy and that it's certainly none of Ascaron's damn business what I have on my computer. Besides, someone will crack this within days, they'd be better off just relying on the CD-keys instead of protection that's more likely to annoy legitimate customers than warez monkeys.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
That was expected, I haven't heard of any copy protection that isn't cracked in a matter of days. Still remains to be seen if there will be a number of pissed off consumers though.

Voss

Erudite
My god. Those bastards!

I just installed it and starting playing...
and it, it... oh its so awful...

It checked the CD! And then ran.

But its worse than that... it... it
made me put disc 1 back in the drive so I can play...

But worst of all.
The horror...

They included a free AOL sample disc!

Damn... You... Ascaron/Encore!
Damn you to Hell!

:lol:

Rosh

Erudite
You forget, Rex.

Malak is content with their role as a mindless sheep in society. It's funny to notice that both "communist slaves" and "commercial whores" have the same method of thinking.

Or, as they prefer to "think" of it as, having someone else do the thinking for them.

Malak

Liturgist
Rosh, I'd like to reply, but you didn't make a lick of sense. Try again?

nineinchnerd

Novice
xJEDx said:
...because there's no non-piracy reason to own a CD burner, of course. Especially since it's illegal to buy one now. I only got mine in a random loot drop when I took down a Dire Racoon in my neighborhood.

What are you some kind of company schill or something spreading this kind of bs propoganda? We have every legal right to make personal backups. Plain and simple.

Psilon

Erudite
What are you? Some kind of pathetic loser who resurrects dead threads simply because he's too stupid to recognize sarcasm? You'd think the "Dire Raccoon loot drop" would be a big enough hint.

nineinchnerd

Novice
Psilon said:
What are you? Some kind of pathetic loser who resurrects dead threads simply because he's too stupid to recognize sarcasm? You'd think the "Dire Raccoon loot drop" would be a big enough hint.

What are you some kind of whiny crybaby who needs to get all bent out of shape if someone misses sarcasm?

The thread isn't dead until the last post.

Sacred

I realize this is becoming an old thread, but I need to vent.

I'm truly an old lady (though not so old I can't get to the stores to buy RPGs). So when I get home and try to install a game, then spend hours on it because it won't work but won't tell me why, then spend more time researching until I find out it's seeing Nero, which I uninstall, then spend MORE time because it tells me there's a "disk verification error" even after I uninstall, I'm hopping mad! :evil:

Whether searching our registries is an appropriate safeguard for the billions of people who make illegal copies (that's sarcasm), or not, it is NOT appropriate not to warn unsuspecting consumers!!! Makes me want to pirate the %(#$*! game just to be vengeful, but two wrongs don't make a right. I guess. :twisted:

So now I have to take the #*%&$! back to the store and beg to get my money back.

GRRRRRRR!!!!

nineinchnerd

Novice
Boy, I like how paranoid people on the internet become. They see some new faces and mock them as if they could be nothing but trolls. That's a real good way to treat people.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
Funny, I'm a new face around here, along with several others. I haven't felt unwelcome, and most of the others who have started posting recently haven't been mocked. 'Course, I lurked for a while before I started posting, so I learned that you get mocked around here for saying something mock-worthy. So I try not to be a dumbass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom