Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Samurai Showdown!!

Andhaira

Arcane
One of the best fighting games ever. It was much more vsiceal than the others, faster, and had a huge cast of unique characters. The weapons were an added bonus!

My favortie character was Hanzo the Ninja. I also liked Galford (the american ninja), and the blue haired katana weilding duelist, who had a coughing problem and cut apples.

Any memories to share about this old gem of gems?

Melcar

Arcane
Awesome games. Personally, my favorite 2D fighters have always been the Fatal Fury and KoF games, but SS was great. Remember wasting so much money as a kid at the local arcade playing SS 4.

Destroid

Arcane
Mark of the Wolves and Last Blade are better.

That said, I really like using the demon samurai guy.

It's "Shodown."

I liked 2 the best followed by 4. 3 changed the mechanics and balance up to the extreme though I liked its darker art style. I suppose you could say it's more "realistic" that you could die with a couple of right hits but it didn't make for a fun game.

4 turned it back down but I didn't like the combo system they added. The death animation where if you stood right next to a guy and he spurted blood all over you like a money shot fulfills many desires. :wink:

gromit

Arcane
I unfortunately got around to playing SS 2/3 after Garou and Last Blade 2, so I can't "best ever" this one. It is, however, very telling that the only games to top it were by the same company at the very top of its game.

How, in cranky codexian words, is SNK's stuff these days? I kind of stopped following them right when KoF stopped coming out on DC / got farmed out anyway / Metal Slug was going to be 3d.

Destroid

Arcane
Well... I do regard Mark of the Wolves as probably the best fighting game ever. Last Blade 2 isn't far behind, although it's a shame they toned down the gore from #1.

EDIT: I'm not a huge fan of SS fighting system, although I have only played SS4. It's good for a break from the two I mentioned earlier, third favorite fighter I have played on neogeo.

And again they try to take it to 3D and phail.

Also, new characters:

afrosamsho.jpg

I miss the American character that was a fat KC-like who farted on you. :cry:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, I thought this was the usual Whaaaa-it's-not-2D-anymore-whining of the Codex, but this really looks completely awkward und nothing like SS at all (Nazi-jokes inbound in 5...4...3...).

They should have called Capcom and asked for their Street Fighter IV shaders. Then optimize them and be done with it :/

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
wallace said:
How, in cranky codexian words, is SNK's stuff these days? I kind of stopped following them right when KoF stopped coming out on DC / got farmed out anyway / Metal Slug was going to be 3d.
Let's just say that KoF XI was on par with Street Fighter 3, and KoF XII... Well... Look and see:

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xii/english/

Fuck SF4 shaders. It ain't got shit on this.

VICTOLY!!!!
Samurai Showdown had this certain kinda slow paced je ne sais quoi that I thought was missing in Last Blade.

Destroid

Arcane
Those KOF videos just look like old KOF with higher res and more frames of animation... I prefer the direction street fighter is taking the visual style of fighters.

EDIT:

A thought just occured to me. Having recently played the UFC 2009 demo, I find the combat system to be quite interesting and comprehensive, but it is somewhat slow and the UFC theme is pretty gay. Taking a similar combat mechanism and giving it a new theme (ninjas, street fighters, whatever) with a faster pace and more violence could make a pretty fun game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom