Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SC2 - must be on bnet to play single player?!?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
OccupatedVoid said:
Who needs LAN when you have, FACEBOOK INTEGRATION?

Treave, it appears you are a disciple of Lord Popamole and his next-gen horde. Everything you listed reeks of next-gen gimmicks aimed at the lowest common denominator. LAN is bad for Blizzard because they won't be able to advertise DLC and charge for minuscule things. BNET is not a replacement for a LOCAL Area Network.

It is not a replacement.

It is better, that's the whole point. It's so superior that the moment you log onto Bnet 2.0 you'll forget about LAN. The only way it can be even more awesome than it is now with Facebook is if it allowed you to Twitter as you play. That'll be the future of cybersports, pal.

Who, in this day and age, still plays LAN except for pirates anyway? And South Koreans, obviously. And the Chinese. But they're all yellow scumbags who are depriving Blizzard of their rightful income. I mean, they made Starcraft but they aren't seeing a cent from all these South Korean Starcraft tourneys.

Bnet 2.0 is gonna change all that.

Kraszu

Prophet
It would be awesome if you would play farmville when the map load or when you wait for the match. They should remove offline SP for this. Mini window in menu with farmville going on, and the same window on your spaceship in campaign mode for better immersion, and if you would for example harverst 200 corns then you would get a free max supply for your next mission, the possibilities are endless.

DraQ

Arcane
treave said:
OccupatedVoid said:
Who needs LAN when you have, FACEBOOK INTEGRATION?

Treave, it appears you are a disciple of Lord Popamole and his next-gen horde. Everything you listed reeks of next-gen gimmicks aimed at the lowest common denominator. LAN is bad for Blizzard because they won't be able to advertise DLC and charge for minuscule things. BNET is not a replacement for a LOCAL Area Network.

It is not a replacement.

It is better, that's the whole point. It's so superior that the moment you log onto Bnet 2.0 you'll forget about LAN.
I assume that includes less lag?
:smug:

You're either a superb troll or a complete, utter moron.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
DraQ said:

Lag will be minimal, it'll be as good as playing in the same room if you're pretty much in the same region as the others. The lag only becomes an issue if you're playing with people from other countries, but you can't connect a LAN over five hundred miles of wasteland so that point is really moot. There is no issue with Bnet 2.0, it'll herald a marvelous new era the same way Bnet 1.0 revolutionized multiplayer gaming.

Still... I thought I was doing a pretty blatant troll considering I just made a post in this very thread taking a potshot at Blizzard's greed. "Value-added features for a low additional fee" should've given it away.

DraQ

Arcane
treave said:
Still... I thought I was doing a pretty blatant troll considering I just made a post in this very thread taking a potshot at Blizzard's greed. "Value-added features for a low additional fee" should've given it away.
Troll is only blatant when it significantly exceeds baseline stupidity.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
treave said:

It seemed pretty blatant to me (still, 8/10) but redding is teh hard I guess. Good show, old sport.

DraQ

Arcane
Gragt said:
treave said:

It seemed pretty blatant to me (still, 8/10) but redding is teh hard I guess. Good show, old sport.
Likewise, would rage again.

:x

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Troll is only blatant when it significantly exceeds baseline stupidity.
Oh come on. "Facebook integration" gave it away. I still rated him 8/10 because I almost fell for it at first.

Kraszu

Prophet
treave said:
DraQ said:

Lag will be minimal, it'll be as good as playing in the same room if you're pretty much in the same region as the others. The lag only becomes an issue if you're playing with people from other countries, but you can't connect a LAN over five hundred miles of wasteland so that point is really moot. There is no issue with Bnet 2.0, it'll herald a marvelous new era the same way Bnet 1.0 revolutionized multiplayer gaming.

Incorrect, BN 1 and 2.0 servers force lag, low latency in BN mp settings =/= LAN latency.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I remember when the campaigns came on the same box:
20100705184709.jpg

20100705184752.jpg

You're just getting ass-raped.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Good show Treave!

:salute:

But seriously, there ARE people out there willfully sucking Blizz cock and clamoring how this is all A GOOD THING, just as there were dumbfucks clamoring that lack of dedicated servers and limiting max players from 24 to 9 was A GOOD THING for modern gayfare2.

And I'll be damned if it wasn't Activision/Kotick involved in both - surprise surprise.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Destroid said:
My main issue is that I am only getting the game to play multiplayer - there is very little chance I will even start the singleplayer, let alone finish it. It is pretty annoying that I will be heavily taxed on the expansions (which I must get to realistically continue to play online) which will only add a relatively small amount of content I am interested in.

But how is that different from any other game that gets an expansion?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
SCO said:
I remember when the campaigns came on the same box:

You're just getting ass-raped.

Meet Homeworld, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, etc.

edit: On a side note, I DO NOT like the lack of LAN support and the direction behind B.Net 2.0. That said, I think the uproar over the two expansion packs is retarded in the extreme.

Achilles

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
But seriously, there ARE people out there willfully sucking Blizz cock and clamoring how this is all A GOOD THING.

I think it's a very bad thing, mainly because I don't believe they will sell the two expansions at a reduced price. However, if you want to protest this decision hold off your purchase until all three campaigns cost the same as a single game. That way you send a message that "your pricing structure sucks, change it". If you pirate it and never pay for it, you'll send the message that PC gamers don't buy games.

Starcraft II will most likely be a great game and if it sells well, it could spark a renewed interest in RTS and strategy games from both the mainstream gamers and the big companies. It could show the world that an old-school PC exclusive can top the charts and sell millions. Starcraft II's release is a milestone. If you think you'll like the game and would like to see more games like this in the future, buy it. Now, later, when the Complete version is released, whenever. Just buy it.

Destroid

Arcane
ScottishMartialArts said:
Destroid said:
My main issue is that I am only getting the game to play multiplayer - there is very little chance I will even start the singleplayer, let alone finish it. It is pretty annoying that I will be heavily taxed on the expansions (which I must get to realistically continue to play online) which will only add a relatively small amount of content I am interested in.

Expansions are cheaper, Blactivision has clearly stated they intend to sell them at full price.

THQ in DoW and DoW2 integrated the original and expansions so everyone still plays together (with new units etc) but you only have access to races that you have purchased.

It would be nice if the upgrades came for free, because realistically it's only going to be like 2 units per faction, but that isn't going to happen.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Destroid said:
ScottishMartialArts said:
Destroid said:

Expansions are cheaper, Blactivision has clearly stated they intend to sell them at full price.

Have they? Do you have anything to back that up? I was always under the impression that they would sell at the expansion pack price point.

Multi-headed Cow

They said something along the lines of "They will have a full game's worth of content and be competitively priced" or some such, which is where the whole expansions costing full price thing came from. Unless there's been more news and I haven't heard about it which is likely since I haven't been paying attention since they mentioned all the shitty b.net changes.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Well, if they have full game's worth of content then what is the problem?
Fucking DoW don't even have full game's worth of content and i did not see anyone complaining about it.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Oh yes, evil Blizzard lied and there will be less than 10 missions in each game, amiright?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Alexandros said:
GarfunkeL said:
But seriously, there ARE people out there willfully sucking Blizz cock and clamoring how this is all A GOOD THING.

I think it's a very bad thing, mainly because I don't believe they will sell the two expansions at a reduced price.

Considering the Diablo 2 Battle Chest still costs $40 after over a decade it might be a long wait.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I won't pay for them if they're full price regardless of how much content they have. I didn't play the SC1 campaigns that many times anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom