Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
The fan base is very delusional and expects something that the game can never be. It's a mix of morons wanting Second Life in space, ARMA in space, some weird mil-sim shit, or big space rigging without combat and optional PvP. Its best bet is a more accessible first-person EVE Online with better combat. Anything else will be a failure. Something else that is impressive is the number of onlookers without a pot to piss in being concerned with how more financially successful people decide to waste their money.

I think the main point is that CIG tries to do something no other game tries to do which in turn gets them fans who are really into their game as there is nothing like it.

It's effectively blue ocean vs red ocean from marketing.
Red ocean is full of competition where you need to release polished product, you need to mind the price, customer support because otherwise your customer can walk out and buy somewhere else what you are doing.
CIG on other hand is swiming in blue ocean. There is no competition to what they are doing. And ever since they released 3.9 and allowed people to buy ships and wipes every patch stopped then their boat fully swam into it. CIG doesn't need to care about polish because their customers don't have anywhere to go. And you can easily see that by their $$$ numbers shooting into stratosphere pulling $100mil a year since that time.

Effectively people reward CIG for pursuing ambition even if meantime they get buggy/uncomplete product. Because that uncomplete/buggy product is still more fun for them to play than fully finished other product that has maybe 1/10 of features SC has and there are many games like that to begin with.

And this is true especially now because you can actually see the horizon ending instead of streatching into infinity.

There is set list of features to be implemented that is slowly coming down. Salvaging here, medical there and suddenly that list is now very managable and pretty short. In fact streatchgoal missing features list is pretty short now. It is CIG own new inventions beyond streatchgoals that popped up lately that are main limiters toward 1.0. Like servermeshing. Streatch goals never talked about unified world, they could do normal mmo like any other with instancing and it would fulfill that stretchgoal no problem.

I do not mean any of that. I mean the fucking retards who think it should be anything but an MMO game. The second life morons and mil-sim boomers. Also, since everyone is a "backer" they feel entitled to their dumb fuck opinions.

Game looks fantastic and still produces tons of quality buttpain [feelsgoodman]

I know. I love how much it pisses people off. It's why I wear my Legatus badge on Spectrum. That usually get's a few people mad.

Myobi

Liturgist
I mean the fucking retards who think it should be anything but an MMO game.
Oh yeah, fucking retards thinking the game shouldn't be exactly what the company said it wouldn't be when it started asking them for money...

https://web.archive.org/web/20121108021229/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/draft-faq/

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Can you explain the stretch goals?

The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period. We intend to build the game that Chris Roberts described at GDC Online regardless, but without additional funding we are going to have to do it one piece at a time, starting with Squadron 42, rather than as a single larger production. With more funding we can include more ships, systems, unique locations, animations and cinematic sequences.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
I mean the fucking retards who think it should be anything but an MMO game.
Oh yeah, fucking retards thinking the game shouldn't be exactly what the company said it wouldn't be when it started asking them for money...

https://web.archive.org/web/20121108021229/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/draft-faq/

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Can you explain the stretch goals?

The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period. We intend to build the game that Chris Roberts described at GDC Online regardless, but without additional funding we are going to have to do it one piece at a time, starting with Squadron 42, rather than as a single larger production. With more funding we can include more ships, systems, unique locations, animations and cinematic sequences.

CR has been calling SC an MMO for awhile now.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19078-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Are you sure you're not a backer? You're showing signs of being one, right down to quoting stuff from an ancient Kickstarter page that nobody should have supported in the first place. I sure as hell didn't.

Listen, I get it. You're frustrated that people with a lot of disposable income are still funding this game. But there are much better things to complain about than what was said over 10 years ago. One doesn't have to look far and wide to find something to complain about in SC.

You just keep going for low-hanging fruit relating to money. You bring it up so much in this thread that you come off as a jealous person who wishes they could piss away that much money on a game.

Don't worry, peasant. I will let you fly one of the ships out of my $25k+ hangar.

And with Invictus coming up, that hangar is only going to get bigger.

Myobi

Liturgist
CR has been calling SC an MMO for awhile now.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19078-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Are you sure you're not a backer? You're showing signs of being one, right down to quoting stuff from an ancient Kickstarter page that nobody should have supported in the first place. I sure as hell didn't.

Listen, I get it. You're frustrated that people with a lot of disposable income are still funding this game. But there are much better things to complain about than what was said over 10 years ago. One doesn't have to look far and wide to find something to complain about in SC.

You just keep going for low-hanging fruit relating to money. You bring it up so much in this thread that you come off as a jealous person who wishes they could piss away that much money on a game.

Don't worry, peasant. I will let you fly one of the ships out of my $25k+ hangar.

And with Invictus coming up, that hangar is only going to get bigger.

Calm down bro, it was just a link ^^; Would you like a glass of water to swallow that up?

...See, and I didn't even had to give Chris Roberts $50,000 for a badge.

KeAShizuku

Novice
For the record I was interested in this once upon a while because I did want something like a cross between Starlancer and Freelancer.

But once I noticed this game was going to cater to multiplayer fags I was out.
This game has nothing to do with rekindling the spacesim genre- in fact indie devs took up that mantle.

Perkel

Arcane
For the record I was interested in this once upon a while because I did want something like a cross between Starlancer and Freelancer.

But once I noticed this game was going to cater to multiplayer fags I was out.
This game has nothing to do with rekindling the spacesim genre- in fact indie devs took up that mantle.

From my understanding it is more like single player driven focused game with multiplayer attached to it.
It is completely different from something like EVE online or other MMOs where players drive everything.
CIG always said and i don't think they changed recently that they want 90/10 split. 90% of interaction to be with npcs and 10% with players. Npcs will be doing exact same jobs as players and players will be competing not only with players but also npcs.

Myobi

Liturgist
From my understanding it is more like single player driven focused game with multiplayer attached to it.
It is completely different from something like EVE online or other MMOs where players drive everything.
CIG always said and i don't think they changed recently that they want 90/10 split. 90% of interaction to be with npcs and 10% with players. Npcs will be doing exact same jobs as players and players will be competing not only with players but also npcs.
You should had informed Chris Roberts of that before the mother fucker spent the last 10 years and millions of dollars into this "server meshing" tech thing that will supposedly allow them to have "thousands" of players sharing the same areas in this "single player driven focused game with multiplayer attached".

Perkel

Arcane
You should had informed Chris Roberts of that before the mother fucker spent the last 10 years and millions of dollars into this "server meshing" tech thing that will supposedly allow them to have "thousands" of players sharing the same areas in this "single player driven focused game with multiplayer attached".

One doesn't exclude the other. If you have 10 000 players you can have 100 000 npcs and you will still have the same ratio.

They will be using effectively the same system X4 uses for npc simulation. So outside of visible range they become simulated much like in X4 and when player crosses their line they become "real" like in X4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom