Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Scars of War interview on Gamebanshee

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Well, everybody knows you guys had the game nearly ready years ago before you switched engines. I also should guess that some cynical bastard like myself must have already told you guys that even after all the effort the game still looks like shit. Well done 2d is better than poorly done 3d. Off course, there's the matter that your 2d was *not* well done, though. Sad really, but switching from shit to shit in exchange of a couple of years is not a good deal, in any way.

Your knowledge of our development process is incredible. You even know more than I do!

I don't mean to brag, but I've been playing around with developing games for the last few years, and you guys come off as specially incompetent sometimes. I read all your excuses, but they don't add up. You just made one bad choice after another. Bad engine. Bad art pipeline. Bad art direction. Bad design... the list goes on and on.

That means you never finished anything, right? I guess we are on the same league.

I'm not familiar with "Nick", but if he is on the same league as Garret he must be a terrible programmer. If he was good at it he probably would have told you guys to ditch Torque in a few weeks after purchasing the license. I know I told myself that after I tried working around that shitty engine for a few weeks. Even with all the bad choices, start-overs and revamps you guys made you would be a few years ahead if you had picked a good engine with clean code and good support.

Who knows? It's possible, though. You live, you learn.

Are you kidding me? The whole game was built around the inane desires of the worst locals. For years people here whined about their desire for a specific game : a Fallout clone with a few changes. Dear Vince took the advice to heart, and that was bad, because he obviously has some good taste in games.

Nothing wrong with a Fallout clone, the problem is he went too far with it. Combat for instance, everybody knows Fallout combat sucked, save for a few qualities which made it fun. Well, AOD's design is just like that...except without the qualities. When the combat demo is released a lot of people will be disappointed. I know that because I've played it.

That's... just... :lol:

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Apoc_Tao said:
I'm not familiar with "Nick", but if he is on the same league as Garret he must be a terrible programmer.
Why would you put quotation marks around the name Nick, he's a person, not a state of mind.

Apoc_Tao said:
I know that because I've played it.
Either you are Nick's alt secretly despising his role as programmer, or more likely, a fellow codexer sent from the future to warn us of the impending rpg turd that will be released on Judgement Day AKA... "Thursday!"

bhlaab

Erudite
Apoc_Tao said:
Elhoim said:
What has been AOD development focus for the last 5 years? Graphics

:lol:

Well, everybody knows you guys had the game nearly ready years ago before you switched engines. I also should guess that some cynical bastard like myself must have already told you guys that even after all the effort the game still looks like shit. Well done 2d is better than poorly done 3d. Off course, there's the matter that your 2d was *not* well done, though. Sad really, but switching from shit to shit in exchange of a couple of years is not a good deal, in any way.

I don't mean to brag, but I've been playing around with developing games for the last few years, and you guys come off as specially incompetent sometimes. I read all your excuses, but they don't add up. You just made one bad choice after another. Bad engine. Bad art pipeline. Bad art direction. Bad design... the list goes on and on.

I'm not familiar with "Nick", but if he is on the same league as Garret he must be a terrible programmer. If he was good at it he probably would have told you guys to ditch Torque in a few weeks after purchasing the license. I know I told myself that after I tried working around that shitty engine for a few weeks. Even with all the bad choices, start-overs and revamps you guys made you would be a few years ahead if you had picked a good engine with clean code and good support.

Do you really think Vince add content that he doesn't feel suits the game and makes it better?

Are you kidding me? The whole game was built around the inane desires of the worst locals. For years people here whined about their desire for a specific game : a Fallout clone with a few changes. Dear Vince took the advice to heart, and that was bad, because he obviously has some good taste in games.

Nothing wrong with a Fallout clone, the problem is he went too far with it. Combat for instance, everybody knows Fallout combat sucked, save for a few qualities which made it fun. Well, AOD's design is just like that...except without the qualities. When the combat demo is released a lot of people will be disappointed. I know that because I've played it.

So what's your point? If they're incompetent then the games will either never come out or suck and everyone will be like "welp, too bad" and get on with their lives.

Or are you just throwing down on your odds for a future "told you so"?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Naked Ninja said:
I really did expect a slightly better showing from the Codex. Slightly. Declining so hard it's in free fall these days.
Doesn't really compute with
Claw said:
Naked Ninja said:
Though they bitch and whine and mock anything they possibly can, they are still paying attention and may <s>buy</s> pirate regardless. You know, like they do with Bioware titles.
Fixed.
does it?

Naked Ninja said:
Hi again Shannow, how're you doing? You having a nice day? Well, that's nice. Please, stop round again anytime, we'll have tea or something. It's always...nice.
Doing well enough, thanks for asking. What was your adress again? I must have misplaced it...

cardtrick said:
Apoc_Tao said:

Ugh. And here I thought we'd seen the back of Bryce . . .

Apoc_Tao

Novice
Elhoim said:
That means you never finished anything, right? I guess we are on the same league.

Are we? Maybe, except that I'm a talented programmer and that I know how to design a game. I'm also smart enough to avoid catering to inane feedback provided by the likes of Andhaira. I've also been intelligent enough to avoid announcing my game until it is nearly ready, as to avoid all the heat you are getting right now for the continuous delays.

I can't believe the sheer idiocy displayed by you guys sometimes. I remember seeing potential in your project, even with the crappy graphics. The truth was that all the brainstorms and design ideas presented by VD went to shit as soon as it became obvious that the writing and design were sub-par and that the focus was switched onto the graphics.

Oh, and after all these years, the graphics still suck!

For deep TB gameplay you simply need party-based combat. You ditched that because your incompetent programmer thought it was "too hard" and favored a lame rendition of Fallout. Well, guess what: AOD's combat gameplay is annoying, repetitive and doesn't even compare to Fallout's( which isn't great to begin with). I guess that's the main reason you guys are delaying that combat demo so much huh? I'm curious as to what will you do to present that in a nice light.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Apoc_Tao said:
Are we? Maybe, except that I'm a talented programmer and that I know how to design a game. I'm also smart enough to avoid catering to inane feedback provided by the likes of Andhaira. I've also been intelligent enough to avoid announcing my game until it is nearly ready, as to avoid all the heat you are getting right now for the continuous delays.

Intelligence!

Quick, make your pick, given relative stupidity, which one is dumber:
1. Announcing your game before it's nearly ready.
2. Bragging about your awesome programming skills without even having an announced game to your name.

Tic-toc-tic-toc.

skyway

Educated
Brother None said:
Apoc_Tao said:

Intelligence!

2. Bragging about your awesome programming skills without even having an announced game to your name.

Tic-toc-tic-toc.

Well, according to Cleve...

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Apoc_Tao said:

I can't believe the sheer idiocy displayed by you guys sometimes. I remember seeing potential in your project, even with the crappy graphics. The truth was that all the brainstorms and design ideas presented by VD went to shit as soon as it became obvious that the writing and design were sub-par and that the focus was switched onto the graphics.

Oh, and after all these years, the graphics still suck!

For deep TB gameplay you simply need party-based combat. You ditched that because your incompetent programmer thought it was "too hard" and favored a lame rendition of Fallout. Well, guess what: AOD's combat gameplay is annoying, repetitive and doesn't even compare to Fallout's( which isn't great to begin with). I guess that's the main reason you guys are delaying that combat demo so much huh? I'm curious as to what will you do to present that in a nice light.
So whose alt account are you? I'm guessing Chefe.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Brother None said:
Intelligence!

Tic-toc-tic-toc.
Can I have Fifty-Fifty?

John Yossarian

Magister
Bryce in a nutshell:

Some Codexer: So Bryce, what kinds of programming have you done?
Bryce: Actually, what kind haven't I done!

True story.

Apoc_Tao

Novice
Oh well, that's so typical of idiotic fanboys. When they can't respond to real arguments, they resort to flinging shit at the first small thing they can find( in this case a small typo).

Keep going at it, chumps. When you get to play these games you will understand what I'm talking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom