Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Scars of War - Things 'll Never Be The Same

Aikanaro

Liturgist
How much time would be needed to finish Scars of War? Is cutting features/scaling back not an option?
Because I would much rather have a lesser version of the original vision than never have it, much like I would have preferred an ugly AoD years ago and perhaps even another game or two by now than the forever delayed Grand Polished Masterpiece it seems to be shooting for.

Ludo

Educated
Naked Ninja said:
Thanks guys.

Combat system is one idea for a smaller focus, another idea was for a 'dinner party murder' social RPG, where it's all about dialogue, character personalities and motivations in a single location. Purely focused on social stats and dialogue.
Do this! It would be like that quest in oblivion but not shit.

Elzair

Cipher
I didn't hate Unity, as a programmer I found it incredibly frustrating that I couldn't debug it using MonoDevelop. Using console logs is primitive bullshit. Latest update to Unity fixed that, debugging works fine now.

I thought you said that you hated the lack of source code access that makes it difficult to debug stuff?

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
The two issues compounded each other, not knowing where your code is breaking and not knowing why your code is breaking. MonoDevelop working properly helps, if you can find the location of the bug it's easier to work out why it hapeens.

It's still not ideal. But the situation with Torque isn't either. The current engine has some issues that I was more confident would be sorted quickly before they lost half their team.

Aikanaro, it would take more than a year. I don't have the funds. I hope the card game will give me a base to get there. Expansion packs to the card game would take less timeand resources than the original, I could possibly work 30% on an expansion and 70% on SoW, providing me an income along with more time than I have now for SoW.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
So any news? I noticed you have a new website but it's just a blog post. How are the other games doing?

If someone like Guido Henkel can raise $50k or even Shaker ($250k) with nothing to show except some shitty drawings, vague ideas and a few blog entries, I think you could do a lot better

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
So any news? I noticed you have a new website but it's just a blog post. How are the other games doing?

If someone like Guido Henkel can raise $50k or even Shaker ($250k) with nothing to show except some shitty drawings, vague ideas and a few blog entries, I think you could do a lot better

Hey that's right. Naked Ninja, why didn't you ever try for a Kickstarter? It will be harder now because everyone is using it, but go for it. Set your target low, but have multiple kickstarters. That way you are sure to fund SoW (or heck, your card game)

If you can't use Kickstarter since you are not a Kwan and may not know any Kwan that can start it for you, then go for indiegogo.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
I have yet to see a succesful CRPG campaign at Indiegogo. Kenshi did horribly, inspite of being one of the first games to be greenlit on Steam, and we all know how many millions Cleve has made so far. Generally looking at games projects on Indiegogo I see a ton of failed projects and very few successful ones. It could work for getting funds for an additonal month or two to finish up, but probably not much more.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I have yet to see a succesful CRPG campaign at Indiegogo. Kenshi did horribly, inspite of being one of the first games to be greenlit on Steam, and we all know how many millions Cleve has made so far. Generally looking at games projects on Indiegogo I see a ton of failed projects and very few successful ones. It could work for getting funds for an additonal month or two to finish up, but probably not much more.

Indigogoz main benefit is guaranteed cash. So what you do is advertise every couple of months, to mooch money off the same bunch of ppl. And be honest about it, say I need a steady source of income and you can help me out, and this game WILL come out (be sure to have screenies, videos, etc)

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
You mean the Flexible Funding mode (standard funding model is available also at Indiegogo)? I rather have the feeling that has a major effect on scaring people away from giving money, actually.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Flexible funding is basically a donation.

I do not see why people would be 'scared' of that. It used to be 15-20 years ago half the games that were out were shareware of some kind, some developers did make enough money to live from volontary donations, looks like people forget that.

The KS non-flexible funding doesn't guarantee anything since it is not actually contractually binding.

I would consider donating to make an RPG like SoA

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
You mean the Flexible Funding mode (standard funding model is available also at Indiegogo)? I rather have the feeling that has a major effect on scaring people away from giving money, actually.

Yes the flexi funding thing. Look, a LOT depends in your video, if you have a playable demo AND ppl like it, they will pay for it!

Moribund

A droglike
Flexible funding is basically a donation.

I do not see why people would be 'scared' of that. It used to be 15-20 years ago half the games that were out were shareware of some kind, some developers did make enough money to live from volontary donations, looks like people forget that.

The KS non-flexible funding doesn't guarantee anything since it is not actually contractually binding.

I would consider donating to make an RPG like SoA

Because getting 5 thousand bucks won't make a big difference. I don't want a game that has budget of 5 grand, no point in making it. If an indie game got 100k then it would have a serious chance.

That way you don't waste money on unrealistic, unfundable games.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Depends where. With $5,000 you could hire 10 Indians full-time for a year, and India has an excess of IT graduates. Isn't that so Wyrmlord?

$100k pays for 200 which is more than a game needs and just wasteful.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Well now, this is some thread necromancy, isn't it?

Thanks, I appreciate the vote of confidence. But crowdfunding is an interesting beast, in many ways it suffers the same problem as traditional sales for indie devs, that being that mass exposure is the most crucial factor in success and the hardest to come by. I didn't think too much of the quality of some of those KS pitches either, but the fact that those developers have 'names', even if they're B or C-grade in the developer celebrity stakes, means exposure. Reporting sites will pick up the story and drive traffic their way.

Some pitches from relative unknowns do get picked up and go viral, sure, but it's rare. Mostly, the news sites are excited about what people with proven track records are proposing.

Maybe if I pitched an idea on a crowdfunding site I could generate enough cash to make it worth it, but I'm doubtful. Even the valiant efforts of the Codex and Watch stalwarts would probably not be enough. I think I need a few games under my belt to prove myself before I can generate sufficient cash that way, or a well-developed prototype (which still takes a fair amount of time to develop).

That being said, I'm looking at the idea of alpha funding for the next game. Something that might work is getting the core combat systems of an RPG working, so that is a fun game in its own right, the open up alpha funding on my own website at that point and iterating, adding on more and more RPG-subsystems and fleshing out content. The Project Zomboid approach. It might work, though I think sandbox/mechanics-focused titles are a better fit for that approach than games which rely on consumable content ala story-focused RPGs.

We'll have to see what I have the money to try after System Crash, the card game, releases (End of Jan). All depends on how well it sells, there is a big question mark hanging over next year for me right now.

If you want, look at the card game as a version of alpha funding. People give me money to build an RPG, and as a backer reward I throw in a card game. ;)

The more people that buy it, the bigger the risk I can afford to take.

The website is just a blog post right now, yes. That's just a placeholder for the domain. My brother, a freshly minted web dev, is building me a proper website. Look for it in January. As for how things are going in general, I'm in deep crunch mode and fairly stressed right now. I want/need to be releasing System Crash to alpha testers 1 Jan, leaving me just 16 days to finish it up, with Christmas celebrations and family time in there somewhere. And there is still a ton to do.

Wish me luck, bros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom