Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

catfood

AGAIN
This update made the game more fun than ever before. It's so nice to just relax and decorate your city. No need to rush through the mission, just enjoy the scenery.

nJ6DPq7.jpg

fork

Doom is so fucking great. Best game of all time imo. The replayability is through the roof, gameplay is perfect, with Doom 2 the enemy roster is perfect, weapons are balanced and feel great, great music, sound, atmosphere... it's pretty much perfect all around. If I could only take one game to my island, it'd be Doom (2) (I consider Doom and Doom 2 to be one game) with my mod folder.

schru

Arcane
Is this GZDoom? If yes, what lighting settings do you use? I played this recently, and it didn't look this good.
The software renderer should be used for most maps, unless they're recent and incorporate some special effects (but it's probably best to check the readme in each case). The default settings in the hardware renderer spoil the original visual style and I'm not sure if just using the software sector light mode is enough.

schru

Arcane

Is this GZDoom? If yes, what lighting settings do you use? I played this recently, and it didn't look this good.
Indeed, the software renderer looks better than the hardware with software sector light mode on. (Though there may be some discrepancies between my sreenshots and GZDoom's software mode as I currently don't have a working graphics card and had to use ZDoom.)

Hardware with software sector light:

wfpVUKy.jpg

Software:

uw9pnP7.png

Hardware with software sector light:

an0XcIb.jpg

Software:

tuqlwMW.png

ferratilis

Magister
Right now, I'm using hardware with software sector light, banded sw lightmode and some additional stuff like retroshader.pk3 to make it chunky. I went to that level from screenshot above just to compare. This is how it looks:
VxPc1Zj.png

I'll try switching to software mode just to see how it is. But still, I like GZdoom because of how fluid it feels on 144hz monitor. Also, I found a mod called Vsmooth that adds additional frames to weapons without changing anything else. It's smooth as butter. Some mods like Smooth Doom change too much for my taste. Also, the minimal HUD in GZdoom is nice. Together with perkristian HQ sound effects and Patch93's SC-55 soundfont, I think I've turned Doom into the best vanilla+ experience it can be.

Truly the best FPS ever made, and it will never be surpassed.

EDIT: For comparison, here's the same part but taken in the Unity port. It's not that bad tbh. But that port has other problems: shitty MIDI reproduction, locked to 60fps, movement feels weird, mouse acceleration. It they manage to fix it, I wouldn't even bother with source ports for vanilla playthroughs.
HzWJkVv.jpg

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
Well, Romero did design ‘Sigil’ with GZDoom in mind, so in this particular case it's fine to use a high resolution as he probably arranged the visual details and engagement ranges with that in mind. It was clear from official screenshots that he was using the software renderer, though. Otherwise though, yes, I believe it's best to play the original games at 320x200 and at 35 frames per second.

I'll try switching to software mode just to see how it is. But still, I like GZdoom because of how fluid it feels on 144hz monitor. Also, I found a mod called Vsmooth that adds additional frames to weapons without changing anything else. It's smooth as butter. Some mods like Smooth Doom change too much for my taste. Also, the minimal HUD in GZdoom is nice. Together with perkristian HQ sound effects and Patch93's SC-55 soundfont, I think I've turned Doom into the best vanilla+ experience it can be.
Well, it's worth keeping in mind that the original games at least were intentionally locked at 35 frames even though it wasn't an inherent hardware limitation. All those mods are fine for replays, but I wouldn't change anything about the original feel.

As for the soundfont, if you mean the MIDI music in ‘Sigil’ specifically, it seems like Paddock composed it with Microsoft's default MIDI player in mind: SIGIL - The MIDI Soundtrack | James Paddock (bandcamp.com). Not that those samples sound very good ...
Otherwise, when it's not a question of custom MIDI tracks, there's no reason not to use the SC-55 packs with GZDoom as that's as authentic as it can get. As for other MIDI music, it's also worth keeping in mind that one soundfont isn't necessarily best in all cases. One notable example is Heretic, the music of which was apparently composed on Sound Blaster AWE32 and it does sound much better on it than on SC-55, but unfortunately there's no decent substitute for the card:

(time-stamp at 24:40)

There's a play-list with all the tracks recorded on AWE32, but the quality is quite poor unfortunately: https://youtu.be/clhPypC4naA?list=PLr88YJ3aDghtnJ2LW_wP1qAjf-JzVCDUx

(Hexen's music was composed on some derivative of SC-55, though.)

Truly the best FPS ever made, and it will never be surpassed.
It truly is. I used to be dismissive of it for a long time, assuming it was too basic or inherently limited in one way or another, but when I finally played it properly I was amazed at how good the gameplay and feel of it were.

EDIT: For comparison, here's the same part but taken in the Unity port. It's not that bad tbh. But that port has other problems: shitty MIDI reproduction, locked to 60fps, movement feels weird, mouse acceleration. It they manage to fix it, I wouldn't even bother with source ports for vanilla playthroughs.
That's a shame about the port, I thought it might be something that could be recommended to others as a simpler solution. About the weird movement though, note that Doom had rather strong forwards and backwards mouse-pan movement, which is considerably decreased in GZDoom by default. It does actually feel good to play it with that original set-up as it allows for very fine and flowing movement and complements the keyboard input nicely.

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
ferratilis, I forgot to ask, are you aware that ‘Sigil’ also has another (which is the main one) sound track in MP3 format composed by Buckethead? It's available with the paid version.

Also, I can't recall if it came up previously, but if you are into that authentic kind of look, you might also want to experiment with C.R.T. shaders as those kinds of low-resolution graphics looked quite different and better on old monitors.

ferratilis

Magister
Yeah, I listened to a few Buckethead tracks outside the game, some of them sounded very similar to his old songs like Welcome to Bucketheadland etc. and they sound great of course, but I prefer the MIDI version while playing tbh. Especially the first track is great and gets the blood pumping for the rest of the episode. Sigil was amazing imo, he used darkness in clever ways, visual design is striking without going overboard like many wads nowadays do (less is more sometimes), a lot of levels have that trademark Romero asshole design where he drops you in a narrow space full of enemies, or how he places cyberdemons in tricky parts. It's the art Romero has mastered with Thy Flesh Consumed and perfected in Sigil. But Sigil definitely deserves to be the official episode. The only map I really hated was Abaddon's Void, all others were great, with 6 and 7 being my favorites.

I'll look into those shaders, thanks.

schru

Arcane
Yeah, I listened to a few Buckethead tracks outside the game, some of them sounded very similar to his old songs like Welcome to Bucketheadland etc. and they sound great of course, but I prefer the MIDI version while playing tbh. Especially the first track is great and gets the blood pumping for the rest of the episode. Sigil was amazing imo, he used darkness in clever ways, visual design is striking without going overboard like many wads nowadays do (less is more sometimes), a lot of levels have that trademark Romero asshole design where he drops you in a narrow space full of enemies, or how he places cyberdemons in tricky parts. It's the art Romero has mastered with Thy Flesh Consumed and perfected in Sigil. But Sigil definitely deserves to be the official episode. The only map I really hated was Abaddon's Void, all others were great, with 6 and 7 being my favorites.
Yes, I think only the first track was actually composed for the episode, the others are just his earlier works. I do agree that they don't fit quite so well in the game due to their rather sweeping and irregular pace. I think they'd fit better in much larger levels with larger spaces that would involve more exploration, or something along these lines.

Again, can't recall if it came up before or in another thread, but before starting work on ‘Sigil’, Romero released two new levels:

Tech Gone Bad - The Doom Wiki at DoomWiki.org

Phobos Mission Control - The Doom Wiki at DoomWiki.org

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom