Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Separating skills and stats

zenbitz

Scholar
sure VD, but that's not how the stat in D&D is designed.
The only cRPG I played based on D&D rules was PST, and Wisdom was invoked "oddly" in that game.

In a PnP game - those "wisdom" decisions you are talking about are nearly always made by the human player no matter what his stats are. But of course, the same can be said about "INT" and figuring out puzzles.

DraQ

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Is dropping INT and CHA and WIS a good idea? Can stats and skills be completely divorced - very, very few RPG's have tried that.
B. S. B.

The way to go would be breaking mental stats up much further than generic INT and fuzzily defined and clearly composite anyway WIS.

There should be willpower affecting character's resistance to a lot of stuff, from various attempts at fucking with them, to pain and torture, to ability to override the bodily needs (like need to rest), but at risk of your own stubbornness killing you - for example a strong willed character would be able to go on till they died of exhaustion, while a weaker one would just let their body force them into shutdown mode and fall asleep at the spot - of course that would mean that, other things equal, weak-willed character would have much less access to their bodily reserves even if those were of the same size.

There should be various forms of intelligence used for different types of problems.

Physical stats should also be far more segmented as well, separate resistances instead of generic END, separate agility and dexterity, separate senses, possibly even strength and speed stats for individual body parts.

WIS should be implemented as modules with various types of knowledge and experience, modified by one of the INTs, skills or other stats.

Honestly, in a cRPG there is no point in keeping the ruleset, including stat system, concise and compact, and this sort of elaborate system would allow, for species with greatly differing bodily and mental capabilities and not in a simplisticly linear way of "strong vs weak", "agile vs clumsy" or "smart vs dumb", greatly different sensory capabilities - again, not in a simplistic manner - add some flags, filters and shadurz and you have characters that see and hear differently often perceiving things other characters cannot.

It would permit mechanics to handle characters to a much greater extent as well - of course, actual writing is indispensable, but automation of those parts that can be automated helps if you have an inordinate amount of characters to script.

Seriously, whenever I remind myself of how hopelessly (and increasingly) archaic the design of cRPGs is I cringe.

Big Nose George

Educated
zenbitz said:
And your "unknown language" example makes little sense to me. "Intuitiveness?" If I made a game where figuring out unknown languages was important, I would use a "Linguistics Skill". I guess you could have it default to the "Intuition" part of your intelligence stats... but it's clearly an odd case.

So in summary, it's not that the "D&D Wisdom" is a poor abstraction, but rather that it's named in a counterintuituive manner.

Yeah, its all semantics.

The unknown language thingy is: WIS = raw knowledge in that case.
1 WIS - you know few words from your studies, cant make sense of a paragraph.
10 WIS - you know enough to figure out basic sentences.
20 WIS - you know almost the whole vocabulary, can read and understand it.

zenbitz

Scholar
Honestly, in a cRPG there is no point in keeping the ruleset, including stat system, concise and compact, and this sort of elaborate system would allow, for species with greatly differing bodily and mental capabilities and not in a simplisticly linear way of "strong vs weak", "agile vs clumsy" or "smart vs dumb", greatly different sensory capabilities - again, not in a simplistic manner - add some flags, filters and shadurz and you have characters that see and hear differently often perceiving things other characters cannot.

IAWTC.

bhlaab

Erudite
More stats = more smarter game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom