Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seraphic Blue - A Gem in the Rough

Teller

Literate
Preface

Hello, I was a filthy lurker for many years. The Codex has been good to me on game recommendations, and today of all days I feel inspired to participate.

I wanted my first post to be something worthwhile, and so I recommend a game that lands firmly in the top 3 of a JRPG veterans favorite list. I did a google search to see if anyone actually referenced this gem directly, and you only really see Seraphic Blue in obscure comments related to RPG maker games. When Seraphic Blue is atypical of any RPG Maker game. I have played many JRPGs, including ancient classics like Bahamut Lagoon and Treasure Hunter G, I am truly a bitter vet of the JRPG genre.

What is Seraphic Blue?

Seraphic Blue, is a 50 + hour linear story based JRPG, with an intense amount of love and effort put into it. You can tell simply by the OST which is very impressive considering it is totally free. The mechanisms of the game was way ahead of its time on how it respects the persons time playing it. Between its accessory system and its 'battery inn' sort of system where you can recharge at will out in the field. It just feels great. The difficulty scales well, with enemies and bosses becoming more difficult the further the game goes. There will never be a point where you will find a single strategy and it will walk you through the entire game.

The Plot
I am not going to spoil anything here, but I will say that after finishing the game the only other game in existence that gave me that feeling was LISA. It made me question humanity, and myself. It starts off fairly typical with some weird Japanese family bits tied into it. It soon spirals into many unpredictable moments, that a commercial product would never dare to ever attempt. I could predict very little in this game, it does not follow the traditional heroes journey. It is not a happy go lucky story, that's for sure. *if you have any triggers to messed up scenarios id not recommend playing this game*

There is literally an hour and a half cutscene in the middle of the game (which they warn you about/allow you to save) that kept me glued to the screen.

Its Totally Free
How to play:

Seraphic Blue uses a very heavily modified RPG maker system. Its kind of hard to get setup correctly. Thankfully EasyRPG.org has saved us.

You can download Seraphic Blue from here:
https://rpgmaker.net/games/2727/

You then drag and drop EasyRPG into the Seraphic Blue folder, and click it to run the game ez pz.
https://easyrpg.org/player/downloads/
I have already done all this work for you, if you want to skip the steps above by using this link, just click player.exe.
https://file.io/MpbWxmEJeuCE

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy.
Teller

Falksi

Arcane
Sounds interesting, will potentially try it.

Just before I do, just so I can get a handle on your taste with this recommendation, what do you think of the following JRPGs?
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • SMT Nocturne
  • Secret of Mana
?

Teller

Literate
Chrono Trigger is a classic and certainly in the top 10 for many. I think it really popped off due to its team work abilities which were flashy, and its OST being as crazy good as it was. It def felt premium for the time.

Phantasy Star 4 - Ooh, well 3 was my first exposure to phantasy star. 4 was good but it didnt blow my mind like phantasy star 3. Which is odd because Phantasy Star 4 is objectively a better game for sure. Legacy, the song that starts Phantasy Star 3 just hit me too hard haha!

SMT Nocturne - Great game, plot is good but not very in your face but its surreal environments and the combat challenge feels great. Going for a full fiend run and beating out the big bad is quite the challenge. I still find the Matador fight to be one of the most memorable WTF moments I ever experienced. Its like the difficulty in the game went from "oh this is cute", to like curb stomping your face.

Secret of Mana - Another classic, i actually enjoyed this one more when I was older than younger. The campyness of the different world pieces, like santa claus and stuff. It was absurd, still a solid and fun game. Ive been pretty let down by its more modern sequels though.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It looks good. And yeah, that OST rocks.
Thanks for posting about it, I'm actually pretty excited to try it once I'm done with other games.

Anonymous Ranger

Literate
Interesting. Most rpg maker games aren’t very good but this one seems kind of cool. I’m curious about the story as everything I see about it says not to read because of spoilers. Just what could this game even be about…

Teller

Literate
Interesting. Most rpg maker games aren’t very good but this one seems kind of cool. I’m curious about the story as everything I see about it says not to read because of spoilers. Just what could this game even be about…
Its a game about real heroism and its cost, and its a very nihilistic journey.

Jinn

Arcane
I have already done all this work for you, if you want to skip the steps above by using this link, just click player.exe.

Hey, thanks for the post and the effort! Very interested in trying this sometime. Just wanted to let you know this file has been deleted from file.io for some reason.

Teller

Literate

Hey, thanks for the post and the effort! Very interested in trying this sometime. Just wanted to let you know this file has been deleted from file.io for some reason.
It only lasts a week, you will have to download/use easyrpg. Its fairly easy.

jungl

Augur
I tried this while back. The machine goobly gook translated cringe story didn't spark me as worth my time. Then again people think evangelion was deep when its a story about teenagers been angsty and emo.

Teller

Literate
but how does it compare to another RPGMaker classic, The Second World
I've never played it, but I will now! Always looking for classics.
I tried this while back. The machine goobly gook translated cringe story didn't spark me as worth my time. Then again people think evangelion was deep when its a story about teenagers been angsty and emo.
Fair criticism. Its not machine translated anymore, but yeah. Obviously different folks different strokes. I am curious, what level degenerate do you consider yourself and which plot would you consider masterclass in media?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fair criticism. Its not machine translated anymore, but yeah. Obviously different folks different strokes. I am curious, what level degenerate do you consider yourself and which plot would you consider masterclass in media?

Don't worry. That particular poster's opinion can be safely discarded.

j2alg

Educated
I love this game, one of my favorite RPG maker titles ever
519qot.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom