Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Shack's glimpse at Fable 2

Starwars

Arcane
It's not really ultimate, but I did like the evil options in MotB quite a bit. And I normally don't play evil characters.
But it's really more great in the "mwahahahah" sense, and you'll do plenty of killing.

I think what I liked is that you have the spirit-eater abilities at your disposal, and it just gives it a bit more "oomph" when you actually can devour someones soul vs just killing them. And One-of-Many is a great pet for an evil character.

What I also liked about it, is that I felt it made sense for my character that I took through NWN2 OC. I don't normally figure out character arcs, but I felt it made sense for that character (who started out neutral) to sort of drift towards evil in MotB. Finally killing the big ole evil guy in NWN2, only to get fucked over again after that in MotB made it all the more satisfying for her to sort of slip into evilness and basically claiming the spirit-eater power for herself in the end.
Like I said, I don't normally think stuff like that up (I almost always play a character with the same "views" throughout the adventure) but it just sort of presented itself.

I guess in the end it felt like my character really gained something (real power) for being evil in MotB. The ultimate evil ending ties it up very nicely as well

Lurkar

Scholar
Eh, I'd say the "evil" MotB path was satisfying because it WASN'T "Mwahahah!" evil. You didn't twirl your luxurious mustache while tying young women to railroad tracks for the sake of looking evil. The MotB "evil" path was all about accumulation of power - you weren't killing people because, nyah hah hah, that will show that Dudley Do-Right, you were killing people to gain more personal power. It was one of the first fucking times I've seen a game give you a reason to go along the "evil" path other then "ololol I'm a jerk"

Xerxos

Novice
Lurkar said:
Eh, I'd say the "evil" MotB path was satisfying because it WASN'T "Mwahahah!" evil. You didn't twirl your luxurious mustache while tying young women to railroad tracks for the sake of looking evil. The MotB "evil" path was all about accumulation of power - you weren't killing people because, nyah hah hah, that will show that Dudley Do-Right, you were killing people to gain more personal power. It was one of the first fucking times I've seen a game give you a reason to go along the "evil" path other then "ololol I'm a jerk"
Well, it was a step into the right direction, but far from optimal.

One of my friends played MotB as evil while I was playing good, and actually had a harder time than me... shouldn't the evil way be the faster, move convenient one?

Suicidal

Arcane
Being evil in MotB is harder than being good, but it grants more power. A good character doesn't seek power - he tries to suppress the curse, get rid of it while an evil one tries to master its power and use it as his own. The second option is obviously more dangerous, but more rewarding as well.

Aegeri

Novice
Being evil in MotB is actually very interesting, because it penalises you for it while granting you some really good abilities. I enjoyed playing evil in MotB almost as much as Fallout or Planescape Torment: a real achievement [for me].

Fable was a game with potential, but the result was clearly nowhere near expectations and that should be expected from Lionhead. They shoot for the top of the mountain with what they claim pre-release, then end up flopping into the middle of the pacific ocean before they even get near the Himalayas.

LastAngryBat

Novice
The Evil path in MotB was one of the few times a game got it right.

Too bad the LG ending pretty much sucked

crufty

Arcane
Jed said:
Is there any cRPG that has a decent evil path? It seems "evil" is only ever presented as "smart-assed jerk" or "kill everything that moves." Neither interpretation is all that satisfying to me.

Nethack:

Are you sure you want to kick the little dog? [y/n]

I think part of the reason is that truly evil characters would have to divert so far from the good storyline that it would be a totally separate game.

Lurkar

Scholar
LastAngryBat said:
The Evil path in MotB was one of the few times a game got it right.

Too bad the LG ending pretty much sucked

I dunno, the LG ending wasn't too bad. It just suffered from "could've and should've been better."

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Jed said:
Is there any cRPG that has a decent evil path? It seems "evil" is only ever presented as "smart-assed jerk" or "kill everything that moves." Neither interpretation is all that satisfying to me.
And what else can there be for a protagonist described as ''evil''? Evil only exists in silly fantasy novels and mythology. There's no sutch thing in life.

kris

Arcane
Gnidrologist said:
Jed said:
And what else can there be for a protagonist described as ''evil''? Evil only exists in silly fantasy novels and mythology. There's no sutch thing in life.

It exist as much as "honest" and "kind". It's just a descriptive term for the actions of someone. If that someone do the same kind of actions often, then people may term him with that name.

Shannow

Waster of Time
RK47 said:
Osama is a hero.
And you think the children, friends and relatives of all those thousands of orcs you've slain will call you a hero?
Ah, there is the dreadful hero who killed my father who was only trying to support his family! Vengeance!
Seems like the enemy is always the villain.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
I remember there was a free RPG written by this guy that was a criticism of the whole, "kill massive amounts of orcs = heroism" part of genre. Violence RPG it was called

http://www.costik.com/Violence%20RPG1.pdf

Actually I think this (and Human Occupied Landfill- another parody) could be pretty neat. An RPG where you play a wandering serial killer in modern times breaking into rich yuppies homes, eating all their fig newtons before you beat them to death with their own adopted African child. I'm popping 50 boners just thinking about it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Shannow said:
RK47 said:
Osama is a hero.
And you think the children, friends and relatives of all those thousands of orcs you've slain will call you a hero?
Ah, there is the dreadful hero who killed my father who was only trying to support his family! Vengeance!
Seems like the enemy is always the villain.

it's 2 sides really what i'm saying, you pick a side. sometimes it came out all shiny on one side (victory against infidels!), but in practice...and especially on the 'opposition' of the faction you came out as 'evil'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom