Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They only asked for 400k. :lol:
The original plan was going to be top down flash tier casual iPad shit.
Also a developer on the SA forums confirmed that they lowballed the initial price. Harebrained is the type of company Brother None talks about when he mentions developers who ask less for what they actually need on Kickstarter.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
It's really too bad about only Steam versions being able use mods and DLC (lmao DLC :lmao: ). That's kind of a dick move from a company that came off as being happy-go-bro.

Wizfall

Cipher
Not a problem if it's only a one time activation that is needed.
More info friday.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, HBS sure seemed to have kicked up a hornet's nest controversy. I do have to say I'm dissapointed in this "Steam only" position of theirs and will NOT buy anything again from them if this policy of theirs is continued.

Gozma

Arcane
I kinda suspect the Steam thing is so their DLC tilesets (which they are probably banking on at this point) don't just get copy-pasted around by people doing community-created missions on the principle of "Hey Biff McInternet made this, not HBS." The idea being "community creates free mission content, we still make some indirect money off it."

Zetor

Arcane
I have zero problems with Steam and the workshop. My main concern is with moddability -- if the game works seamlessly with steam workshop stuff only, what about campaigns that go deeper into the scripting layer?

As a prospective campaign author, I don't plan on using any DLC stuff. It's just like making a F:NV mod and using assets from Old World Blues (or whatever) -- a lot of players won't have the DLC, so all you're doing is shutting them out from playing your content. If you really need something from those tilesets, I'm sure there'll be ways to hack them into the module... or just make a compromise with the other tilesets available to you (including tilesets made by modders for free... eventually). Of course if the stock tilesets are too restrictive, most authors won't bother. I suspect HBS knows this too.

About tablets: I know most people here don't give a fuck about tablet gaming (I don't, either), but consider that this game may actually turn out to be one of the best RPGs released for tablets... huge audience and all. Usual "lowest common denominator casual decline popamole" hurfblurf aside, I imagine many campaign authors would like tablet users to be able to play the campaigns they made (for free, obviously) for a lot more exposure. HBS hand-picking the best campaigns could be a good thing... they may even give a kickback to the authors ahahaha who am I kidding

Kem0sabe

Arcane
“After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop. Steam allows us to provide up-to-date downloads and patching along with a vibrant ecosystem for developing community-created content and file sharing.”

“We realize that for some of you, releasing on Steam isn’t your first choice but there are a lot of really great things we get from this decision that allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content. From the start, we’ve had to make practical decisions like this one to ensure we get the most out of the support you’ve given us. We consider this to be the best option for everyone.”

What madness is this?

Zetor

Arcane
It's somewhat amusing, since some hardcore Skyrim fans I talked to said that they deeply despise the Steam workshop due to the size limitations, and - in general - not supporting mods that modify something in the game beyond just adding the .esp or .esm or whatever. So they just use the nexus sites, and consider the workshop to be (lowest common denominator casual popamole decline hurf-blurf)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
“After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop. Steam allows us to provide up-to-date downloads and patching along with a vibrant ecosystem for developing community-created content and file sharing.”

“We realize that for some of you, releasing on Steam isn’t your first choice but there are a lot of really great things we get from this decision that allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content. From the start, we’ve had to make practical decisions like this one to ensure we get the most out of the support you’ve given us. We consider this to be the best option for everyone.”

What madness is this?

You expected miracle for lousy 1.2 million of Doritos? :neveraskedforthis: Will still have Not DRM game on GOG I hope?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bullshit. You can easily update the game and sell DLCs in a non-drm version. Like Strike Suit Zero and FTL does it with GOG. Not as convevient as Steam, but it isn't much of a hassle.

Will still have Not DRM game on GOG I hope?
Well the RPS article only mentions that the non-drm version can be purchased from the developer's own site.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You expected miracle for lousy 1.2 million of Doritos? :neveraskedforthis: Will still have Not DRM game on GOG I hope?

You won't get a GOG version, only one from their website, but that version won't be as well supported and there is no guarantee you will have access to the DLC and missions. Missions you should be able to just put in the correct folders, DLC on the other hand, i doubt they will be releasing non DRM versions of it for the obvious reasons, so that probably excludes the DRM free version from getting all the DLC packs they are planning (making an assumption here).´

Edit: The "obvious reasons" is pirating, if you could just download a DLC pack and install it with no DRM checks (activation) it would spread like wildfire on the web and hurt sales. And activation is DRM.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

You won't get a GOG version, only one from their website, but that version won't be as well supported and there is no guarantee you will have access to the DLC and missions. Missions you should be able to just put in the correct folders, DLC on the other hand, i doubt they will be releasing non DRM versions of it for the obvious reasons, so that probably excludes the DRM free version from getting all the DLC packs they are planning (making an assumption here).

:rage:... Wait Pirates Modders will fix it. :smug:

They disappointed me. :( A lot of successful projects on kickstarter turn out to be greedy and not in the spirit of what kickstarter game industry should have been. I hope at least Obsidian and Fargo won't disappoint.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Almost regretting my preorder now...

I don't game looks fine and I am not interested in DLCs anyway. Without the kickstarter hype there was no chance ISO TB games would be done again (no offense Cleve, VD, Styg and other honorable homemade vaporware devs) before the Thursday at least. I am disappointment but not really surprised. Melonheads gonna Melon.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They are releasing a FAQ about the steam announcement on Friday, hopefully they can clarify everything and ease our minds in regards to their plans for DLC and modding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom