Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a moment I was considering getting the collector's edition of this, instead of the $10 digital download I have now. I am not considering it anymore. The recent update is a bit of :decline:, but not the main reason.

I started to get a little worried for this game when they mentioned it is mission-based and there are no core loot mechanics in the system (looting can only be done by manually scripting a clickable corpse into existence after a particular enemy dies). So, yeah it's not a Divinity Original Sin complexity level RPG, but an ascended mobile game with pretty graphics, turn-based combat and a nice character system. It could still be good, of course, but it probably won't be as good as other KS projects.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
How will I download the game when it’s released?

After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop. Steam allows us to provide up-to-date downloads and patching along with a vibrant ecosystem for developing community-created content and file sharing.

So, we're happy to announce that all Backers will receive a Steam Key for the game and will be able to contribute and browse community-created content using Steam Workshop.

We realize that for some of you, releasing on Steam isn’t your first choice but there are a lot of really great things we get from this decision that allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content. From the start, we’ve had to make practical decisions like this one to ensure we get the most out of the support you’ve given us. We consider this to be the best option for everyone.

Now, that may prompt the question, “What about DRM-free?” To honor our original promise of a DRM-free version of the game, the Harebrained Account Website will also contain a downloadable version of Shadowrun Returns that does not include Steam integration. While this version will include the Seattle story (and Berlin, via a one-time update), without Steam integration, it will be unable to browse and play community-created stories from within the game. Any future DLC will only be available through Steam.

Color me disappointed with this shit.

Not only will the no DRM version be devoid of DLC (with the exception of Berlin), people thinking to use the editor with extra tile sets and assets will have to use the Steam version.

After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop. Steam allows us to provide up-to-date downloads and patching along with a vibrant ecosystem for developing community-created content and file sharing.

So, we're happy to announce that all Backers will receive a Steam Key for the game and will be able to contribute and browse community-created content using Steam Workshop.

We realize that for some of you, releasing on Steam isn’t your first choice but there are a lot of really great things we get from this decision that allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content. From the start, we’ve had to make practical decisions like this one to ensure we get the most out of the support you’ve given us. We consider this to be the best option for everyone.

Now, that may prompt the question, “What about DRM-free?” To honor our original promise of a DRM-free version of the game, the Harebrained Account Website will also contain a downloadable version of Shadowrun Returns that does not include Steam integration. While this version will include the Seattle story (and Berlin, via a one-time update), without Steam integration, it will be unable to browse and play community-created stories from within the game. Any future DLC will only be available through Steam.

Bravo! What about GoG you bastards? :x

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There was a moment I was considering getting the collector's edition of this, instead of the $10 digital download I have now. I am not considering it anymore. The recent update is a bit of :decline:, but not the main reason.

I started to get a little worried for this game when they mentioned it is mission-based and there are no core loot mechanics in the system (looting can only be done by manually scripting a clickable corpse into existence after a particular enemy dies). So, yeah it's not a Divinity Original Sin complexity level RPG, but an ascended mobile game with pretty graphics, turn-based combat and a nice character system. It could still be good, of course, but it probably won't be as good as other KS projects.
Well they barely got 2 million, I think for that much money, we can't expect W2, PE or Divinity level complexity. I think for that money, we will get a fairly good RPG.

catfood

AGAIN

Bravo! What about GoG you bastards? :x

If you want mods and dlc then get the Steam version. If you opt for GOG then that means that you're not interested in said features. Problem, goym? :smug:

If you want mods and dlc then get the Steam version. If you opt for GOG then that means that you're not interested in said features. Problem, goym? :smug:

Bullshit, there is no GoG version at all. Just a download from their site. I thought we will have a drm free version from GoG where you can get updates and shit just as you can get from the Steam version. :decline:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Would GOG even allow them to sell their nickel-and-dime DLC? That's something to consider. They really want to sell those outfits and portraits.

Project: Eternity
Would GOG even allow them to sell their nickel-and-dime DLC? That's something to consider. They really want to sell those outfits and portraits.
GOG allows DLC now. Also even if it didn't there is always Desura and several other smaller digital distribution channels.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
“After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop. Steam allows us to provide up-to-date downloads and patching along with a vibrant ecosystem for developing community-created content and file sharing.”

“We realize that for some of you, releasing on Steam isn’t your first choice but there are a lot of really great things we get from this decision that allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content. From the start, we’ve had to make practical decisions like this one to ensure we get the most out of the support you’ve given us. We consider this to be the best option for everyone.”

What madness is this?

You expected miracle for lousy 1.2 million of Doritos? :neveraskedforthis: Will still have Not DRM game on GOG I hope?

I give you Commissar Draco: Attacking Logic Artists who got 83000 for a few months delay and defending Harebrained Schemes who got 1.2 mill. Those are some beautiful double standards, ladies and gentlemen!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It could still be good, of course, but it probably won't be as good as other KS projects.
Well they barely got 2 million, I think for that much money, we can't expect W2, PE or Divinity level complexity. I think for that money, we will get a fairly good RPG.
I agree :bro: .

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/

1 guy.

A more complex character system.

A full game.

The editor obviously took them some time to make.
Yeah and the game looks like shit. :P

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
“After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop. Steam allows us to provide up-to-date downloads and patching along with a vibrant ecosystem for developing community-created content and file sharing.”

“We realize that for some of you, releasing on Steam isn’t your first choice but there are a lot of really great things we get from this decision that allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content. From the start, we’ve had to make practical decisions like this one to ensure we get the most out of the support you’ve given us. We consider this to be the best option for everyone.”

What madness is this?

You expected miracle for lousy 1.2 million of Doritos? :neveraskedforthis: Will still have Not DRM game on GOG I hope?

I give you Commissar Draco: Attacking Logic Artists who got 83000 for a few months delay and defending Harebrained Schemes who got 1.2 mill. Those are some beautiful double standards, ladies and gentlemen!

Don't worry will tear them second manpussies if they won't deliver the promised product on time. Putin help me. :hero:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It could still be good, of course, but it probably won't be as good as other KS projects.
I agree :bro: .

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/

1 guy.

A more complex character system.

A full game.

The editor obviously took them some time to make.
Yeah and the game looks like shit. :P

Yep, but it plays fucking solid. And seeing as they have a gazillion times more money and people than KotC, I highly doubt all that additional stuff went into graphics.

What madness is this?

Don't worry will tear them second manpussies if they won't deliver the promised product on time. Putin help me. :hero:

Oh. But I thought it wasn't about the delay. I thought it was about backing down from promises. Reducing quality and openness to appeal to distributors. You know, like Harebrained is doing.

Zeriel

Arcane
Well, that is kind of the rub with legitimate companies who Kickstart, isn't it? They've got a full staff who are used to working on salary, so purely on that basis they're going to produce less per $ than people who are willing to work for free, for the passion of the thing.

Jashiin

Arcane
Would adding the modding compatibility with the other versions be a huge financial and time investment or is this just to get the dlc moniez ? Surely they know this is a very unpopular move, could they not promise uniting the versions down the road or are they just accepting the butthurt here as an acceptable loss ?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't check the link (corporate firewalls), but whatever it leads to: existence of superior products made with fewer resources does not diminish the quality of a game.

You also have to take into account that SR was made in a year (ok. 13 months) by a developer not renowned for great games released in the past, and adjust the expectations to that.

In the end, it's all about expectations.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Steam is fine. I prefer DRM free but I'm not going to have a hissy-fit about it. Also maybe they won't DRM the executable in the Steam version, a lot of indie developers do not.

Important thing is the game is good. If Steam collapses in 20 years I am sure Shadowrun Returns will still be playable somehow, just like Ultima IV is today.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Eh... it leads to KotC. Which you should play if you haven't.
I did, and liked it a lot. :incline: The website's name did not ring a bell, though.

existence of superior products made with fewer resources does not diminish the quality of a game.
no, it doesn't. But it contradicts your statement.
Ok, I may be going mad from trying to multitask whole day, but remind me what statement that was.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Eh... it leads to KotC. Which you should play if you haven't.
I did, and liked it a lot. :incline: The website's name did not ring a bell, though.

existence of superior products made with fewer resources does not diminish the quality of a game.
no, it doesn't. But it contradicts your statement.
Ok, I may be going mad from trying to multitask whole day, but remind me what statement that was.

You agreed that we couldn't expect a lot for 1.2 mil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom