Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

Wizfall

Cipher
No i dont mind much, but its some false advetisement there, there some people allergic to steam,reading the kickstarter page you could have expected it to be on GOG or desura rather than steam. Its a big DRM , you cant give away your box to a friend for example, nor your digital copy, wich is allowed , legal , in europe and steam doesnt comply to .
False info again.
No false advertisement anywhere, main campaign + Berlin is DRM free for backers.
The "one time update" for DRM free version is very bad but from a legit point of view nothing wrong.
I dislike a lot Steam only for DLC but people like you spreading false info to make people rage even more...
Anyway Steam only DLC does not necessary need DRM and they may change their mind
Also preorders are no backers FFS...

Excuse me but writing boldly drm free on your kickstarter page , then putting it on steam , its false advertisement.
You speak nonsense.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Excuse me but writing boldly drm free on your kickstarter page , then putting it on steam , its false advertisement. That doesnt mean the game wont be fantasic or so, but its dishonest, i'v seen people jumping at the conquistador guys throats for much less than that . As for preorders arent backers? 3 months preorders ?? Dont make me laugh the release was set to january now they need a little more cash to survive till june. With the emphasis of order before the 28! they really need that cash now .
As for the berlin dlc i will laugh if its one buck or two...

1) Steam is not always DRM, see: Bastion, Super Meat Boy and many others. Wait before being pissed.

2) They are offering a DRM-free option for the game and expansion, as they promised.

Mortmal

Arcane
Steam provides digital rights management (DRM) for software titles, by providing "custom executable generation" for executable files that are unique for each user, but allow that user to install the software on multiple computing devices via Steam or through software backups without limitations.[13] As such, the user is required to have started Steam while connected to the Internet for authentication prior to playing a game, or have previously set up Steam in an "offline" mode while connected online, storing their credentials locally to play without an Internet connection.[14]Steam's DRM is available through Steamworks to software developers, but the service allows developers and publishers to include other forms of DRM and other authentication services on top of Steam; for example, some games on Steam require the use of "Games for Windows – Live", and various titles from publisher Ubisoft require the use of their "UPlay" gaming service.

=
Pledge $15 or more

15502 backers
A Digital Downloadable copy of the game, DRM free on PC, Mac, or Linux + one totally sweet, exclusive desktop WALLPAPER for your PC, Mac, or mobile tablet.

?

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
There's no such thing as pure incline. We need this kind of developments (shady publisher deals, Steam only release, Kickstarter funds depletion) to remind us the realities of the independent game industry. Too many cheerful comments, too many happy emoticons, too much developers' sucking. It was necessary a little bit of disappointment so the cynical, bitching, critical Codex can take precedence. No more free rides.

tadhg

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Steam provides digital rights management (DRM) for software titles, by providing "custom executable generation" for executable files that are unique for each user, but allow that user to install the software on multiple computing devices via Steam or through software backups without limitations.[13] As such, the user is required to have started Steam while connected to the Internet for authentication prior to playing a game, or have previously set up Steam in an "offline" mode while connected online, storing their credentials locally to play without an Internet connection.[14]Steam's DRM is available through Steamworks to software developers, but the service allows developers and publishers to include other forms of DRM and other authentication services on top of Steam; for example, some games on Steam require the use of "Games for Windows – Live", and various titles from publisher Ubisoft require the use of their "UPlay" gaming service.

=
Pledge $15 or more

15502 backers
A Digital Downloadable copy of the game, DRM free on PC, Mac, or Linux + one totally sweet, exclusive desktop WALLPAPER for your PC, Mac, or mobile tablet.

?

That doesn't refute what he said. There are games on Steam that don't have Steam's DRM.
Also, they will be providing a digital downloadable copy copy DRM free from their website.

Now that DRM free version could possible be crippled in regards to mods but I don't think we'll know for sure until Friday.

kaizoku

Arcane
Shitting on the hands that feed you.
That will certainly end well.

While Steam may not be a problem to some (most?) of you, its enforcement -- for all purposes -- shows they're not having an honest conduct.
Their snake oil talk about how it makes everything easier for everyone is pure bullshit. Because they have zero trouble doing the same with GOG, or doing it on their site. They already have a pre-order buying system... same thing for buying anything else.

Today is Steam, tomorrow is making it more accessible.
Compare this with the way Obsidian and inXile led things. Games will be on GOG and Steam. Full length expansions (no incoming DLC milking, which simply causes fragmentation). And modding will be on nexus site.

I have 99 problems and SRR ain't one.
Modders Pirates will fix it for me after all.

Rake

Arcane
I'll buy the game on GOG and then i'll pirate the DLCs. Sorry Hairbrained but DRM is a no go

Wizfall

Cipher
I'll buy the game on GOG and then i'll pirate the DLCs. Sorry Hairbrained but DRM is a no go
Yep, same here except i won't have to buy the game as i'm already a backer.
Too bad though because i would have been ready to buy even moderately interesting DLC to support them.
But maybe a lot of butthurt for nothing, the DLC can still be DRM free even if Steam exclusive.

Shitting on the hands that feed you.
That will certainly end well.

While Steam may not be a problem to some (most?) of you, its enforcement -- for all purposes -- shows they're not having an honest conduct.
Their snake oil talk about how it makes everything easier for everyone is pure bullshit. Because they have zero trouble doing the same with GOG, or doing it on their site. They already have a pre-order buying system... same thing for buying anything else.

Compare this with the way Obsidian and inXile led things. Games will be on GOG and Steam. Full length expansions (no incoming DLC milking, which simply causes fragmentation). And modding will be on nexus site.

I have 99 problems and SRR ain't one.
Modders Pirates will fix it for me after all.

:bravo:

Well said bros in the last few posts, starting with kazioku.

Rake

Arcane
You wouldn't steal a car.
Says who?
Yep, same here except i won't have to buy the game as i'm already a backer.
Too bad though because i would have been ready to buy even moderately interesting DLC to support them.
But maybe a lot of butthurt for nothing, the DLC can still be DRM free even if Steam exclusive.
Yes, i was more exited for Shadowrun Returns than Wasteland 2, but no way i'll pay for a game with DRM just to have DLC.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Infringing the copyrights of a small independent studio? How shameful.

Mortmal

Arcane
Isnt this the case already ? I have browsed the web a bit for info, and it seems theres a quest compass, checkpoints, infinite ammo, many mentions in the updates of extra dlcs exactly like those Xbox 360 popamole ports. Unlimited ammo means no inventory management nor item weight, all of this is smelling the dumbing down and far from pure incline indeed. Is there health regen after each figts and such, am i forgetting something?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Isnt this the case already ? I have browsed the web a bit for info, and it seems theres a quest compass, checkpoints, infinite ammo, many mentions in the updates of extra dlcs exactly like those Xbox 360 popamole ports. Unlimited ammo means no inventory management nor item weight, all of this is smelling the dumbing down and far from pure incline indeed. Is there health regen after each figts and such, am i forgetting something?
It all depends on how good the combat encounter design is and even that the mods can fix.

Mortmal

Arcane
No weight limits already hinder how good the combat encounter can be, you can just stack on healing potions/stimpack/whatever the healing item is , and beat every encounters like in old jrpgs, that if the healing as no cooldown.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No weight limits already hinder how good the combat encounter can be, you can just stack on healing potions/stimpack/whatever the healing item is , and beat every encounters like in old jrpgs, that if the healing as no cooldown.
Money may limit that. Severely. Also I can't remember whether SR actually has a stimpack analogue.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You have to buy those and money spent on healing is money not being spent elsewhere.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Money may limit that. Severely. Also I can't remember whether SR actually has a stimpack analogue.
It doesn't, at least nothing that will instantly fix you. There's first aid to reduce the severity of wounds and drugs to help you fight while wounded, and those won't help you much if you keep taking damage.
Magic is the only option for instant healing, and the drain from that will soon wear your mage out, so it's a limited resource too. And all these things take too long to be used in during combat anyway.

I dunno how they'll handle magical healing in SR:R though, since the spellcasting system seems fairly different from the tabletop version.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ok then lets cross finger it dont turn outs to be monty haul and money is hard to get .

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It doesn't, at least nothing that will instantly fix you. There's first aid to reduce the severity of wounds and drugs to help you fight while wounded, and those won't help you much if you keep taking damage.
As shown in the alpha combat video, they do have instant-healing medkits just like the Genesis and SNES games.

They're kinda necessary cause your hirelings who die stay dead for good. Unless they're ~plot-critical~ in which case they have DocWagon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom