Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
The game might turn out great but the fact that it doesn't let you save whenever you want it's unforgivable, it's 2013 ffs.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
The game might turn out great but the fact that it doesn't let you save whenever you want it's unforgivable, it's 2013 ffs.

HAHA suck it save scumming subhuman scum.

I'm not fond of save scumming myself either, but I should be able to do it if I fucking want to do it, the use of checkpoints as a save system it's inferior to any possible alternative.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I'm not fond of save scumming myself either, but I should be able to do it if I fucking want to do it, the use of checkpoints as a save system it's inferior to any possible alternative.

Does your DM allow you to save scum when doing a Shadowrun PnP session?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
No, but he does let me end the game whenever the fuck I want and not every 15 minutes.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Does your DM allow you to save scum when doing a Shadowrun PnP session?
Is this a serious question?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No, but he does let me end the game whenever the fuck I want and not every 15 minutes.

I would guess it will save much more often when not in combat, and you probably won't quit during a battle unless it's a real emergency in which case just leave the game running, it's not performance intensive.

Not really defending checkpoints, more just not having a real problem with it either.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Doesn't bother me much either, even though I hate save restrictions. I think I'll probably finish the game in one or two sittings. I get the impression the campaign will be p. short.

Zetor

Arcane
The only thing I have to complain about is that they posted a screenshot from some text editor where "bugfixes" was underlined in red. Is that word not in your spellchecker vocabulary, random HBS person?! For shame.

edit: also, I don't really care about the steam/steamworks stuff. If workshop-distributed campaigns are too restrictive, people will just come up with a 3rd party mod site and use that.

made

Arcane
edit: also, I don't really care about the steam/steamworks stuff. If workshop-distributed campaigns are too restrictive, people will just come up with a 3rd party mod site and use that.
You'll end up with 2 modding communities: one premium, with all the official extra assets and features; one open source, but limited to only the original one or two campaigns and their assets. PITA for modders to be sure. And annoying as an end-user, because to experience the game to its fullest - as it was advertised in the KS - I'd have to pirate and crack the steam version even if in theory I wanted to monetarily support a DRM-free game.

Zetor

Arcane
You'll end up with 2 modding communities: one premium, with all the official extra assets and features; one open source, but limited to only the original one or two campaigns and their assets. PITA for modders to be sure. And annoying as an end-user, because to experience the game to its fullest - as it was advertised in the KS - I'd have to pirate and crack the steam version even if in theory I wanted to monetarily support a DRM-free game.
The modding community was going to splinter even without DRM. There'll be mods that modify the exe (or the engine scripts), new tilesets / audio / other content... HBS has said in the past that they're OK with this kind of stuff, but they won't support it directly. So if they just used their own central site for distributing campaigns (and they did say they were going to use a centralized service from day 1, iirc), you'd still need to go to shadowrunnexus or whatever to find the 'real' mods.

Regarding vanilla vs DLC: like I said, as a modder there's no point in using DLC content at all. All you're doing is locking out everyone who hasn't bought the DLC! If you really want the tileset in that DLC, wait for someone to create a similar one for you, and hack it into your campaign file (which would, of course, prevent it from being posted in the steam workshop, assuming it works the way I think it works).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
SRR omitted/lied about the DRM deal they already had in place before it even went to Kickstarter then proceeded to dance around the issue until they had to admit it. That's a lot of goodwill down the drain in the space of a week.

Zetor

Arcane
Well, I'd probably be a lot more outraged if I was a backer and/or had problems with Steam... but I just have a preorder and actually like Steam as a distribution platform, so eh. I guess they may have kept it secret because they were trying to negotiate a better deal with MS? Who knows.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
SRR omitted/lied about the DRM deal they already had in place before it even went to Kickstarter then proceeded to dance around the issue until they had to admit it. That's a lot of goodwill down the drain in the space of a week.
Yeah, this. Why not mention this M$-deal right in the beginning? Why hide behind the excuses of how Steam will make everything perfect and peachy?

Gord

Arcane
Regarding vanilla vs DLC: like I said, as a modder there's no point in using DLC content at all. All you're doing is locking out everyone who hasn't bought the DLC! If you really want the tileset in that DLC, wait for someone to create a similar one for you, and hack it into your campaign file (which would, of course, prevent it from being posted in the steam workshop, assuming it works the way I think it works).

If only. Look at Skyrim - it might not be the best comparison, but it does have a strong modding community going on.
A lot of talented modders are including the DLC once they have it, and then it's either get it as well or forget about the specific mod.

Wizfall

Cipher

If only. Look at Skyrim - it might not be the best comparison, but it does have a strong modding community going on.
A lot of talented modders are including the DLC once they have it, and then it's either get it as well or forget about the specific mod.
Yes, it is the problem with games with DLC.
Hopping that modders, whom are more invested in the game than your average gamer, will resist not to play with the latest tools they have is asking a lot.
As soon as the new DLC will be released, the number of new mods for the basic gamer will decrease very fast.
That what happened with FNV, i only purchase the basic game and sure, plenty of mods are still available for it.
But now almost new mods made (and update of some older one) need DLC X or Y.
It's a DLC issue though (and the game must be quite good in the first place hehe).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, this. Why not mention this M$-deal right in the beginning? Why hide behind the excuses of how Steam will make everything perfect and peachy?
It's possible they didn't even know during the campaign.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah. We have no idea of the negations with M$ were (for a second DLC). Or any details. They may have just provided a verbal agreement to do a 2nd DLC and then HBS ran with that and then later when the final contract was written up it then was stated with the DLC requirement.

Koschey

Arcane
They did negotiate for the DRM-free base game with Microsoft. They offered it during the campaign. So either they knew and didn't tell or made promises without knowing the particulars of their license agreement. Either way is at the very least foolish.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They did negotiate for the DRM-free base game with Microsoft. They offered it during the campaign. So either they knew and didn't tell or made promises without knowing the particulars of their license agreement. Either way is at the very least foolish.

You know this as a fact? Do you work at HBS or M$? Could you share the exact specifics with us?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom