Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadows of Doubt - detective stealth game set in "fully simulated" sci-fi city

kangaxx

Arbiter
That actually sounds pretty damn fun. I'm still holding strong until it's finished though.

By the office/hunting rifle thing, do you mean just walking into certain places of business "legitimately", or breaking in somewhere?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By the office/hunting rifle thing, do you mean just walking into certain places of business "legitimately", or breaking in somewhere?
Some businesses aren't open to the public - just stepping in the door will cause the employees to respond with the violence level of the average American homeowner.

To be fair the game communicates this okay - if you see a door to Joe's Industrial Works then it's safe to enter, but if it says Joe's Industrial Works then you better not let anyone see you.

Gostak

Educated
Indeed sometimes you just find little true evidence to go by but more red herrings.
What's more a minor update added that the sales ledgers now often do not spell out the full names.
In a big city with 1500 or more inhabitants (I think still not possible with vanilla means but Cheat Engine and the like can help or a mod
requiring a dodgy dll or an upload of such a city file by a friendly gamer) that can make it so that this is less of a dead give-away.

I just really wish the spider-senses like X-RAY vision red outlines of alerted or to be avoided people around you could get deactivated.
It serves as sort of your "hearing" indication but it's making it too easy to not get jump-scared or flat-footed.
There is an option in the menu that I thought would do it, but nope must be for something else. :(

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is an option in the menu that I thought would do it, but nope must be for something else. :(
Well, you can't even turn off the directional arrow without it coming back on every 5 minutes - at least, I can't. Not unlikely that the options menu is simply broken still.

Gostak

Educated
He did not tell you about the modding that people have done by now.

1) People that wanted a gun to shoot could have one.
2) CommunityCaseLoader (last time I checked one guy used it to create one so far)
3) PartialPrints and MoreCyphers to make it more tedious on you

https://thunderstore.io/c/shadows-of-doubt/

To use these you "only" gotta get BepInEx and trust all the creaters involved ...

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He did not tell you about the modding that people have done by now.

1) People that wanted a gun to shoot could have one.
2) CommunityCaseLoader (last time I checked one guy used it to create one so far)
3) PartialPrints and MoreCyphers to make it more tedious on you

https://thunderstore.io/c/shadows-of-doubt/

To use these you "only" gotta get BepInEx and trust all the creaters involved ...
Is there a mod yet that removes "non-binary" characters?

Zombra

Patron
Why does Zombra demand there be non-binary characters in the game? How does it improve the gameplay?
You've got it flipped. I don't insist on their inclusion; I just think it's pathetic for people to scream and cry and say the game is unplayable as is.

Jenkem if you want to read last year's Zombra - JarlFrank arguments, start here.

How long has this been in the Early Access purgatory?
First closed alpha was mid-2021, with several more closed tests per year until the Early Access release April 2023. Solo dev, whaddayagonnado.

Last edited:

Gostak

Educated

Pegi 16! Deepest secrets, hard-boiled noir. xD

Well, seems an umbrella is coming, yay!

1.0 September 26th. Consoles ...
But memory handling improvements have been made (for stability on consoles mayhaps) recently, so that's good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

Patron
I'm feeling this is more of a "it's time to release" release instead of a "this is the final fully playable bug-free release" release, especially considering all the new features announced with this update. The overall jank is nothing like how insane it was a year ago but it's still there. Will report back in October.

Fargus

Arcane
Devlog #41: 1.0 is now live!
It's launch day detectives! Today marks our official transition out of early access and into, 1.0. I'm immensely pleased with what the team has put together over the last 8 years (!) Or so. You can view our 1.0 changelog here, which arrives as by far our biggest one yet. We can now also welcome console players to the fray on and PS5.

0ae0d4c1bbe0331c4eff0288635e98fc0cae73b8.jpg

What does this mean practically? We've finished making the content we wanted to include in the final game. I'm very pleased with the amount of content we've been able to include, and this release version features the latest additions of kidnapping cases, cover-up side missions and even a much-requested umbrella to keep your busy heads dry in the rain. It's not the 'end' of the project though, we will continue patching and polishing, just as we have done in the past with the 30+ patches throughout early access. It's such a massive project for any team, let alone a small one, so we'll continue working hard behind the scenes to sort out any issues we didn't manage to solve before launch. To aid this, as well as improve the communication on the status of issues, we're also launching a new bug report system.

f8ecbd7edea7e451ef3bc2bdeaf7c52c857421c1.png

We're also putting out a standalone Soundtrack, so if you want to listen to the awesome music Monomoon has created outside the game, you can. In addition to that we're also releasing an 80-page digital Art Book written by myself and Miles (the voxel artist on the project). This features both a look back through the development history of the game (featuring my various blog posts but with new commentary added from the present), as well as a detailed look at the process Miles used to create a lot of the awesome voxel props you see in the game.

40d4fbfbcb263cfb4a055d2da786fc3438a48535.png

In the future, you can still expect small bits of content to arrive in patches, as we just love adding details. A couple of things we have in mind are new pre-made cities, some more in-game assets (eg. more cruncher apps), and we’re also looking at putting in support for Steam Workshop. We're not going to have a roadmap for these, as we're going to be employing a 'when it's done' approach; our main priority will be on solving any remaining issues reported.

8aab2ea182704c1f7ddef5db255ba0b57fb13a57.jpg

Thank you so much to all the detectives who took on the investigation throughout Early Access. Your feedback has been so important to the development of the game, and we're so excited for you to check out the 1.0 version today along with new players joining the case. I hope you enjoy the world we've created!

Be sure to join the investigation over on Discord and follow @detectivesim for the latest in Shadows Of Doubt news!

Zombra

Patron
But is it finished Zombra ?
I think they are done with major content updates; this does not mean the game is "finished". There is no question in my mind that there is a lot of polishing left to do. Bug fixing, QoL updates etc. will continue, probably for a long time to come.

From the discord:
Cole said:
To reassure everybody, we have no intention of abandoning the game at 1.0. We've worked incredibly hard to develop Shadows of Doubt alongside you during Early Access, listening to your thoughts and feedback to introduce new content and address bugs and issues, and I'm incredibly proud of the 1.0 release. It's a reflection of what I always wanted to achieve with Shadows of Doubt: an immersive procgen sandbox that I hope really makes you feel like you are a detective in a living world.

After the launch of 1.0, we will continue to listen to feedback and address the most pressing issues. A game is never truly finished, and we recognise that there are always bound to be some sneaky bugs that slip through the net. We will be introducing a new public facing system that will allow for increased transparency on what is being worked on. We know communication is important and just with the amount of development work that has been needed we haven’t had the chance to be as active in the Discord as we would like but hopefully this will go a long way to addressing that and making sure you feel heard.

I myself haven't seen the game for a couple months and have set aside some time this Saturday to check out new features and feel out how smoothly 1.0 plays.

Zombra

Patron
Short dev blog link

Shadows of Doubt DevBlog #41: 1.0!

It’s launch day detectives! Today marks our official transition out of early access and into, 1.0. I’m immensely pleased with what the team has put together over the last 8 years (!) Or so. You can view our 1.0 changelog here, which arrives as by far our biggest one yet. We can now also welcome console players to the fray on Xbox and PS5.

What does this mean practically? We’ve finished making the content we wanted to include in the final game. I’m very pleased with the amount of content we’ve been able to include, and this release version features the latest additions of kidnapping cases, cover-up side missions and even a much-requested umbrella to keep your busy heads dry in the rain. It’s not the ‘end’ of the project though, we will continue patching and polishing, just as we have done in the past with the 30+ patches throughout early access. It’s such a massive project for any team, let alone a small one, so we’ll continue working hard behind the scenes to sort out any issues we didn’t manage to solve before launch. To aid this, as well as improve the communication on the status of issues, we’re also launching a new bug report system.

We’re also putting out a standalone Soundtrack, so if you want to listen to the awesome music Monomoon has created outside the game, you can. In addition to that we’re also releasing an 80-page digital Art Book written by myself and Miles (the voxel artist on the project). This features both a look back through the development history of the game (featuring my various blog posts but with new commentary added from the present), as well as a detailed look at the process Miles used to create a lot of the awesome voxel props you see in the game.

In the future, you can still expect small bits of content to arrive in patches, as we just love adding details. A couple of things we have in mind are new pre-made cities, some more in-game assets (eg. more cruncher apps), and we’re also looking at putting in support for Steam Workshop. We’re not going to have a roadmap for these, as we’re going to be employing a ‘when it’s done’ approach; our main priority will be on solving any remaining issues reported.

Thank you so much to all the detectives who took on the investigation throughout Early Access. Your feedback has been so important to the development of the game, and we’re so excited for you to check out the 1.0 version today along with new players joining the case. I hope you enjoy the world we’ve created! Shadows of Doubt is out now on Steam, GoG, Epic, Xbox and Playstation.

Gostak

Educated
Oof, guess they should have listened. Too bad the dev decided for a publisher and signed who-knows-what with Fireshine.
That struck me as absolutely the wrong choice right from when I heard it the first time.
[...] If they're smart, they'll just give the player a riot gun with rubber bullets.

The dev went for a publisher ... (well I dunno how hard it is to get a game on steam as a newcomer ... Hmm, seems to be super easy:
https://partner.steamgames.com/steamdirect )

[...]
Money likely was the culprit and reason for that decision.

The outcry now in form of negative to positive reviews ratio is quite immense compared to the time before this 1.0 release decision has been made a reality.
I cannot direct link to the Steam graph that shows this as of yesterday, but this one might reflect it sometime soon:
https://steambase.io/embed/games/986130/reviews

People lost hope in the dev and as can be seen from what Zombra cited above for good reason, alas.

So, looks like again only modders might salvage this to get some more longevity.

Pegi 16! Deepest secrets, hard-boiled noir. xD

Well, seems an umbrella is coming, yay!
Some more disappointed comments regarding that trailer:
Yes, "every case is [slightly] different!", but also not because of the formulaic nature of them.
"And there is no such thing as easy money", except there is: Stealing stuff and selling it, and again the cases are more on the tedious than
on the difficult side ...

Definitely wait for a good discount if you're tempted at all.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom