Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Shaolin Monks vs God of War

Which game is better overall?

• God of War

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Shaolin Monks

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Even now, after years, I'm still shocked that out of both these titles, is that the first former that fell into obscurity. Why compare them? They're IIMHO natural rivals, similar genre: similar tech, exactly the same year of release. Question is, which one do you find better?

I'll go for Shaolin Monks all the way. In fact, I can hardly point out a single area in which GoW may have upper hand except for setting which is kind of matter o personal taste.

Level design? GoW is pretty much linear while in SM you can revisit every level except for the first one (Goro's Lair), and that more. Thank to metroidvania concepts you can explore early levels further thank to new abilities for secret and stuff (like Fist of Ruin and Swing abilities gives you access to Warrior Shrine in second area to fight Ermac). Plus. in GoW you can only kill mobs on your own, in MK you can use variety of stage hazards, hell geam even demands you to do that at some point to progress - 'Oh no, next platform is too high, bring up some bodies into the spikes to make artificial stairs!'.

Protagonist? In SM, you can play as four fighters and every of them has his unique skills and combos (Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Sub-Zero) and with the cheat device, you can unlock skin swaps of almost every fuckin' MK boss/NPC. In GoW, there is only one single annoiyng asshole available.

Mutliplayer? GoW - none, SM - excellent co-op and some of the secret can be unlocked only in two players mode.

Someone love that gimmicky Kratos chains... it's the same weapon that is Inferno Scorpion wields in boss fight? I mean, he uses his kunai in the very same way.

QTE? I don't like that concept in any form but in GoW it's just boring button mashing, in SM at least there are combinations for classic Test Your Might minigame or mandatory fatalities on the end of boss battles.

I can go on and on but that's enough... not saying that God of War is some bad game because it's like solid 7/10 fun hack'n'slash but Shaolin Monks just stomps it in every possible way.

Last edited:
I got the distinct impression at the time from interviews that Ed Boon wasn't exactly happy with another studio (SM being developed by Paradox as opposed to the MK team) doing a Mortal Kombat game, which seems to be what killed the Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks from continuing. When it came out Boon was talking about a Shaolin Monks 2 but development by them, and then the story mode in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon was meant to be like Shaolin Monks but that was shit.

It's too bad they never got to do another one, it had a pretty cool Power Stonesesque multiplayer aspect to it. I'm pretty sure they're the same team that would later do WWE All-Stars too, which means they've twice made something better than the main team but not gotten to follow it up.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
The simple answer of why one did better than the other is that God of War had Sony money behind it. It was a flagship title for the PS2 and received enormous amounts of coverage and advertising. Shaolin Monks was a mid-buget multiplatform game released when Midway was already on its long decline.

Also I don't know why you'd even compare the two, Shaolin Monks was more of a 3D version of a traditional brawler, whereas God of War was a somewhat dumbed down version of Devil May Cry style games which ended up becoming a sub-genre initself. I personally prefer Shaolin Monks but it's hardly a surprise that God of War did far better.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
1fd48aa0881759c6b7fbacf23332a6c8.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom