Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shepard gets more extreme - summary executions!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
NICE
:twisted: I just killed 50 Bodyguards to get in here, what do you think I'll do to you?*points backroom*

:cry: Screw Fist, he isn't paying us enough for this

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is going to be Final Fantasy with some choices, collar-grabbing and a retarded combat system.

Don't know about you but I think I'll enjoy this game.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Hahahahahahahahahaha.

I don't think I've seen a single dialogue where Shepard doesn't point his gun at someone or grab his collar.

denizsi

Arcane
Shepard has been pussified. He grabs the coller one moment and without a reason, lets it go the next. Also notice chick's eyes locked on Shepard during the execution. Not a single blink. Let's hope either executing that guy or letting him go, will have repercussions later in the game.

On a different note, combat leads me to believe that the sole reason Bethesda has even decided to implement a system (VATS) that pauses the gameplay for combat options, is only because other AAA action titles with mass-media attention had already done so, Mass Effect and Crysis being the prime examples, and they would simply be left behind obsolete if they didn't follow the trend.

It will be funny to see when such systems will be dubbed "technological limitations of the past" or "outdated, last-gen" in future.

Hellraiser

Arcane
What no head shots? No on screen execution? That's supposed to be EXTREME? Come on Sheppard should castrate the guy and make him eat his balls.

Is it me or does every dialog choice end with an EXTREME sentence? It's like Sheppard is unable to say even the simplest of things without being extreme.

choice : "I need to go to the toilet"

actual spoken line : "I need to annihilate the shitter with my extreme fecal matter"

spacemoose

Erudite
if they turned the extremeness up to 11 this might actually be decent. as it is, it just comes off mediocre.

shepard needs a manlier voice too

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Awesome. ME is simply awesome. It has choices... choices with actual consequences most likely which is what RPGs are about.

And, while the dialogue isn't Shakespearean, it is still better than most RPG dialogue.

I just hope not every dialogue is extreme ridden, and I'm sure it isn't; but that'sd what they are using to hype the game.

spacemoose

Erudite
it'd be so much better if every dialogue WAS extreme ridden as you put it. I think they're missing a great opportunity here. shepard's facial expressions should be more pronounced, and he should be screaming more often. they could do with a more gruff-voiced actor for him too, but I suppose its too late.

who wouldn't want to collar grab, pistol-whip and execute their way to victory? but the current implementation is lame and drab. ironically its not extreme enough

spacemoose

Erudite
yes, for one, the facial expressions are not impressive. the voice actor for sheppard is not nearly extreme enough, and the options you're provided with are rather tame. I want the opportunity for extremeness in every situation. look at the codex fake interview - I want to be able to say something like "I'm gonna need bodybags, lots of them." in every situation, narrated by stallone

barzam

Novice
I missed the option to say "alright that's enough" at any point.. Still time to implement I hope.

Inziladun

Magister
Wow, you don't think dialogue can get any worse than that, I mean, seriously.

"I just killed 50 body guards to get in here, what do you think I'll do to you?"

"fist doesn't pay us enough for this" *walks away*

And then the hot female love interest chimes in: "Shooting people isn't always the answer!"

It really just sounds like a bunch of random voice clips were pieced together to make a conversation, and it doesn't help that the voice acting is terrible, even for a Bioware game.

The second conversation is a lot better in that respect, but it obviously still suffers from the 'I'm Commander Shepard, and I'm badass' routine. And I usually wouldn't have a problem with that, because I love stereotypical badasses, but Shepard just seems so stale and flavourless, he's just a big poser.

Deleted member 7219

Looks great.

It is just a shame it's 360-exclusive. I await the day it comes out for PC.

roshan

Arcane
This could be a good game, but the facial expressions are really badly done, and the voiceacting is mediocre and lacks emotion. The game is clearly lacking in extremism, and whatever extremism there is lacks any emotional impact due to the bad voiceacting and facial expressions, thus killing the whole experience. Overall, the basic premise of the game (being extreme) is good but it seems that it has been implemented very badly.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
To me it looks more than good enough. Seems like there will be choices aplenty in the aproach to npc's, encounters and quests.

The bitching about "extremism" sounds like just that, bitching for the sake of it. If the game will offer choices extreme enough we'll see after it's out. And my god, since when did this become that important? There is much more to be worried about. Will the choices have real consequences, how will the combat turn out, will the game be any fun to play through, will the exploration be any fun or are the different planet's just linear dungeons a la kotor?

I dunno, but we'll see.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
It's pretty arb to complain about how all dialogue is EXTREME! since they have explained that their system relates dialogue position around a cirlce to the emotion the dialogue is stated with. In all the intimidation/aggressive/extreme dialogues they choose the bottom right dialogue option.

So all they are doing is showing off the intimidation/aggressive dialogue path.

Sure it is repetive to watch but I assume the reasoning goes "This makes cooler vids to show off". So what? I like that a game has proper intimidation options. If I'm heavily armed I want an option to imtimidate civilians/enemies. It's just logical.

In fact why would anyone think it is a bad idea that you seem to have options to threaten people in every dialogue? That is actually something RPGs SHOULD have. Most RPGs just have a few intimidate checks every now and then (if you are lucky), usually to demand more money for fetching timmy from the well. Now if you are playing an asshole char you can bully your way through the game. That is pretty cool.

spacemoose

Erudite
well I for one am serious. I think this game could be good if they had some better voice actors and made the facial expressions match the mood of the statements, particularly in the extreme cases

not as an rpg of course, but more of a pistol-whipping, jack bauer over-the-top violence romp

tardtastic

Scholar
and all 9/10 of all the dialogues that i've seen so far have choices that all mean the same thing. just re-phrased.

so you've got:

choices that all do the same thing
that are "reworded" when you choose them
that are written badly in any case

revolutionary dialogue system mhm

Sodomy

Scholar
There's not enough info to say much about the game yet, but it appears that there is at least more than one way through the conversations, and that those conversations don't railroad you into one endpoint like they did in BG2... a welcome improvement.

I still think that the "choose three words, watch Shepard say something completely different" sucks, though.

Not that I'll be buying it anyways as long as it stays on the 360.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Am I the only one who thought that Spacemoose's posts were sarcastic?

Oh and you could've been 100x more extreme in The Punisher. In fact choking people to death and making them spill their guts out, riping them in half with a crane, using them as shark bait and smashing their faces on the fucking concrete was apart of the gameplay, actualy it was the CORE GAMEPLAY.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom