Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shepard gets more extreme - summary executions!

Annonchinil

Scholar
What makes some games great is that even the minor characters have their own unique personality or atleast have a personality that is coherent to their standing in life or what place they inhabit. The two sub-characters you choose not kill are just drones.

Annonchinil

Scholar
BTW, if you guys thought that was extreme, wait till you see this:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24935.html

"You assume I give a damn. That's cute."
"We find a way out. Someone up there needs my boot up his ass."

lol. Right when I was wondering if the vehicle could run enemies over it did... And then got caught on the tent... Hahaha.

At least the turds got something interesting

Anyways I just saw Shooter, comparisons are justified.

roshan

Arcane
We can already tell from the videos that Biowares dialogue system is nothing but lies and hype. Supposedly you can interrupt people while they are saying and will get different lines if you take too long to reply.

But we can tell from the videos that the dialogue options normally only show up when the characters have already finished saying their previous lines, or are about to finish. So interrupting people while they speak is probably limited to just a few selected sequences.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
roshan said:
But we can tell from the videos that the dialogue options normally only show up when the characters have already finished saying their previous lines, or are about to finish. So interrupting people while they speak is probably limited to just a few selected sequences.

Which is not a bad thing, or do you remember ANY game, where something like this was possible in recent years?

I don't want to defend Mass Effect, but some of those comments here are nothing more but bitching for the sake of bitching....

MetalCraze

Arcane
Which is not a bad thing, or do you remember ANY game, where something like this was possible in recent years?

I don't want to defend Mass Effect, but some of those comments here are nothing more but bitching for the sake of bitching....

that's no excuse. Because if this was possible long time ago when 3D engines were only for chosen ones and budgets were small why can't they make it today? Or today's technologies won't be able to do this? Bioware has enough money - their recent titles are very successful, and I suppose that the budget is much higher than the one for PS:T f. e.

Also that new trailer proves that voice-acting of Shepard is really poor. I can't believe he is a badass. He just... talks. Without emotions and expressions.
How to make character's personality believable? Either with outstanding writing and no voice-overs (like in PS:T) or with outstanding voice-overs and writing(Kreia is a good example). Voice-over actor of Shepard ruins his personality with his mediocrity.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree. Really ^^

As I said, I don't want to defend this game...
I just don't like like some of this senseless bitching going on here.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
thesheeep said:
I could always interrupt the NPCs in Gothic. Sure, it made no difference, but I've yet got to see any evidence that it matters in ME, so...

Also, in Gothic I found a glitch that allowed me to walk away from a talking NPC. You know the saying, it's not a bug, it's a feature.

dagorkan

Arbiter
How does levelling up work in ME?

Do you get XP per enemy type killed, for completing quests, for using your skills effectively, or what?

Dark Matter

Prophet
dagorkan said:
How does levelling up work in ME?

Do you get XP per enemy type killed, for completing quests, for using your skills effectively, or what?

I'd presume that it's all of the above, just like KOTOR.

aries202

Erudite
Just wanted you to point you all in this direction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMRi8tYYnEs

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOLIERS. VIEW AT OWN RISK!!! :!: :!:

Basically, this video, originally from MTV, shows how you need to make a tough choice which is between bad or worse - at least according to my morals& ethics - fairly on in the game, Mass Éffect.

Yes, the combat may look FPSish, or even like a third person shooter, but in the RPG departmen, I really think Bioware hasd delievered this time. And by that I mean, not the typicall D&D choices of good, neutral and evening, but interesting choice&consequences.

I just hope that regardless of what choice you make, thie choice you made as CMD Shepard will haunt you forever, and even in your dreams as well as the consequences first being clear to you many months later (in the game)= several hours into the game as well as affecting the ending you get.

Now, about thist -ahem- game for pc, bioware...

Please

make it so :)

spacemoose

Erudite
I couldn't make it out - do you actually get an option to steal the cure for the alien (as opposed to destroying it) or do you only get several options to convince him to go along with destroying it.

because if its the latter, we're looking at the same old shit

as an aside "destroying" some chemical is silly if you don't kill everyone who knows how to make it - otherwise they'll just make more. so yeah

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
aries202 said:
Yes, the combat may look FPSish, or even like a third person shooter, but in the RPG departmen, I really think Bioware hasd delievered this time. And by that I mean, not the typicall D&D choices of good, neutral and evening, but interesting choice&consequences.
The combat looks like this, that is the problem, not the perspective. As for the "RPG department" if this scene really offers the implied choice, then it's so much better than anything in ME I've seen before that it's hard to even believe it's the same game.
In fact, this scene is the best I've seen even without a choice. Which is just to emphasize how shitty the game looks to me.

Spacemoose said:
I couldn't make it out - do you actually get an option to steal the cure for the alien (as opposed to destroying it) or do you only get several options to convince him to go along with destroying it.

because if its the latter, we're looking at the same old shit
Exactly. From the options I've seen in the video, I can't detect any clear choice. The dialogie options mostly seem to be different lines to calm him down. I only saw one line that might lead to an alternative outcome. The others just seem to determine (if possible) whether or not it comes to a fight.

Option A: Kill the party member, and destroy the cure
Option B: Persuade the party member, and destroy the cure anyway.

I'd be surprised if there was more to it than that, and if that's all there is to it then it's already been seen in KOTOR.

elander_

Arbiter
ME is a linear game until proof otherwise. Whatever we do, the ending and the middle and everything won't dodge much from the written plot line, just like DeusEx i presume.

There are also great pseudo-choices in DeusEx, like if you save your brother or don't, or if you kill the rebel leader or not. Eventually it doesn't matter. It's only the illusion of choice. Something is presented to the player that appears it will modify the game drastically but it won't. Even the ton of DeusEx endings don't depend on anything the player has done before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom