Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Adventure Mysteries - ICOM adventures are coming back

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't really like episodes and frankly I would prefer a 2-D adventure in the style of the "Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes". 3D(or pseudo 3d) wouldn't be bad either, all the good ICOM adventures were in first person. I guess FMV is probably cheaper nowadays though, especially if you hire unknown/amateur actors.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Tex Murphy popped up everywhere hours after the announcement, yet this can't get any mention? I guess Tex is still a well known brand (?), but come on, "Sherlock Holmes" isn't?
Even AdventureGamers didn't feature this as a news item...

Yeh bro I WTF'ed at that too. Sad. You'd think that having the name of one of the most prominent characters characters to be conceived in detective fiction in the title would at least catch some attention, but no.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Posted on RPS but to no effect. It's funny, I used to think the K-K-Kodex was a hive of scum and villainy, but there are some genuinely intelligent posts here, and above all other than in GD, bros here care for gaming, and not just the next romance simulator. I suffered a penalty to IQ after trying to reason with the posters on RPS. Now lurking moar on the Codex to boost IQ.

:troll:

-edit- Reading the thread again, there are some people there that are okay. It's just that there are diametric opposites, so you have reasonable people on one end, and complete fucking retards on the other end

Kersey

Educated
Well, thanks for everyone in this thread for bringing this to my attention. I was only vaguely familiar with the game(s) previously but looking more into it this is definitely something I'd like to see happen. Too bad the Kickstarter doesn't look too promising. Wish I had more to put towards it.

The boardgame these are based on looks interesting as well. Apparently there is a reprint coming later this year. That said, I would probably have more fun with an updated computer version.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Here's some good news, even if the Kickstarter won't fly.

Q: What about Shadowgate and Deja Vu and the other adventure games? Are you gonna do those and will you kickstart them?
A: Yes. No. Yes, we are going to do those (in fact, Shadowgate has been officially started (taking advantage of touch screens in cool ways!) No, I won't kickstart them. I think if I were to kickstart another project, it would be a new game like Beyond Shadowgate (which we have a great design for). But that is unclear at this time. I will do my best to keep everyone updated on the status of the games - most likely thru the Zojoi site in the future.

udm

Arcane
Patron
I still think he should have started with Shadowgate first. I'm seeing more Shadowgate fans than Consulting Detective ones, even though I'm actually more familiar with the latter. It's a shame the KS project won't make it though, but at least it's good to hear they've begun work on Shadowgate.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Looks pretty grim for this one. I blame the fact that not many people seem to have played the original games.

Captain Shrek

I'm a huge Holmes fan and I really dig the Frogware games (especially vs. Jack the Ripper and the Cthulhu one). I've read the stories several times and I have watched the Jeremy Brett series a lot.
That said, I'm passing on this. 1) I don't have much left in my gaming fund (what the fuck I never thought this would happen), 2) Not a huge fan of amateur film, 3) I don't really understand how the game will actually play.

9 dollars isn't much though... Hmmmm.
Is the Cthulhu game any good? I actually own it on steam, but never could gather the courage to play it. Could you please also elaborate upon its strengths.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Captain Shrek
The Cthulhu one is great. There's no "monster jumping out from the shadow" or anything like that. It's 100% shadows and atmosphere. Some of the puzzles were a bit weird but overall I like it very much.
The voice acting isn't superb, but it's charming. So is everything else. It's just a very atmospheric game, I can't put it any other way. It's not a horror game, it's a mystery game. You don't really do much besides talking to people, interacting with objects and solving mini-game puzzles.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Yeh I heard from some community that I can't remember atm (AdventureGamers I think) that the Cthulhu one is pretty good too.

Btw, I found this on eBay, and I'm gunning for it :smug:
1982 Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Game | eBay

Reviews on BGG are favourable. I hope I get it. The binder version seems to be quite rare compared to the boxed one.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A Kickstarter update informs us that the PC version of the first 3 cases is out:

Hey everyone,

First, I wanted to let you know that the PC and Mac versions are now available on desura.com (links below or go to the zojoi site). I hope to put them on more sites but this is a good start. It also looks like we will be able to put out Kindle and Nook versions so I'll keep you up to date on that. (BTW, if you are interested in playing on a different Android device, we've been having some issues with Google Play - grrrr - so, because you have been very supportive of us, send me an email and I'll see what we can do for you.) dmarsh@zojoi.com

http://www.desura.com/games/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective-case-1

http://www.desura.com/games/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective-case-2

http://www.desura.com/games/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective-case-3

Obviously, it's taken us longer to get these done than we had hoped. As I've said before, we started the campaign to fund these particular mysteries and not fund the entire company. Even though the campaign was unsuccessful, we still wanted to do whatever we could to get as many mysteries out as possible. We'll have to see how these sell before we can move on to the others. Many thanks for being patient with us!

I hope you are all doing well.

Dave​

I think I'll buy the first case next week, once I have some time to play it.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Yep, got this mail too.
Are the games any good? Any real sleuthing?

I just bought The testament of Sherlock Holmes but I still have a juge stack of to-finish-games (damn you charles-cgr)... Sometimes i'm somewhat happy that there are mostly shitty games out there.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I've got a taste for semi-cheesy FMV videogames, so I'll probably at least test the first one.

(By the way, the Testament is really good)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom