Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei IV 3DS (beating MaroonSkein to the punch!)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
European release pushed back to November. I don't even. It's a digital only release. They're not adding more translations to the game or anything (English only release). WHAT THE FUCK? How is that even possible. What could possibly delay this shit. It's just a 1:1 copy of the american game which was already released billion years ago.

Japan.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm not even sure if I want to buy SMT4 anymore. All this cuckolding by Fatlus and with all the damning things about SMT4 I've heard from fans make it seem like it's just not worth jumping through all the bullshit hoops that they are making us go through. I don't feel like it's worth giving them monetary support for this kinda sloppy shit treatment.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I wish my life was shit enough that going on a rampage was a viable option. I would storm the Atlus offices and cause the biggest PR fiasco since the Chris Benoit double murder&suicide case.
Imagine if middle class white people lived in the kind of conditions as islamist fighters while paradoxically still having all the technology that makes our lifestyle possible. People would go on Jihad against shitty game companies all the time and die for a good cause.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm not even sure if I want to buy SMT4 anymore. All this cuckolding by Fatlus and with all the damning things about SMT4 I've heard from fans make it seem like it's just not worth jumping through all the bullshit hoops that they are making us go through. I don't feel like it's worth giving them monetary support for this kinda sloppy shit treatment.
I blame Nintenshit more than Atlus for my European butthurtedness here. Quite frankly, nobody here would give a damn if the game wasn't sold here if we could buy it and play it as an import.
And before anyone tells me to buy an US console.. are you mad? Buying a few games as import is one thing but having a console that *requires* buying games only as import and waiting I don't know how long for everything to be shipped would suck terribly.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I blame Nintenshit more than Atlus for my European butthurtedness here. Quite frankly, nobody here would give a damn if the game wasn't sold here if we could buy it and play it as an import.
And before anyone tells me to buy an US console.. are you mad? Buying a few games as import is one thing but having a console that *requires* buying games only as import and waiting I don't know how long for everything to be shipped would suck terribly.

... does England get American releases or European releases?

TheGreatOne

Arcane
European, it's part of the PAL region. Seriously there isn't any excuse (*) for not being able to bring a game that's in the US&Canda to the UK (&Europe in general). English is the default language of games in majority of Europe, most countries aren't big enough to warrant a translation and even in countries that do get translation most people gamers understand english well enough.
(*) Yeah, I'm not buying that "well some words have different meaning in UK/US English" BS

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My mind is consistently blown by how out of touch these companies still are. We are living in the digital age and we still have things such as regions, region locking and delayed releases in certain regions.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My mind is consistently blown by how out of touch these companies still are. We are living in the digital age and we still have things such as regions, region locking and delayed releases in certain regions.

Not out of touch, just "encumbered" by their working relationships with physical distribution and retail. As long as those venues have a presence in the market, they will always be able to leverage that relationship to extract terms favorable to physical media.

In this case I have to concur it isn't much of a loss. Shin Megami Tensei IV isn't anything to write Mom about.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The site got updated.. to remove the actual release date altogether. It's neither September nor November, just 2014 now.
It would be hilarious if by december they ended up cancelling the release altogether.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd pirate this just to spite them if only it were possible. Sadly, I will have to just buy it after all.

Couldn't you just shop in the US Online Store?

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
And a US credit card. The US eshop obviously doesn't accept European CC. That would defeat the purpose of region locking now wouldn't it. Or go through I don't know what kind of hoops and I don't care to look for because owning a foreign 3ds is not the kind of hassle I'd look forward to.
Plus losing the ability to buy used games in your country and stuff. And the fact that games are locked to your hardware and you need to phone Nintendo if your system broke and you wanted your "digital" games back onto your new console, which might be a pain with an imported US console and US support. Remember that the eshop isn't like steam. Games aren't tied to an account but a console, and you need Nintendo's gracious support to allow you to get your games on another console if your console broke. You can only transfer them yourself when you have two working consoles.

There are no game that would make it worth owning two 3ds, one local, one US. None. And since only owning a US one would be too much hassle let's just say import is not a real option unless you're really, really obsessed with a few US only games.

Last edited:

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s7o0h7

After some unscheduled changes to the SMTIV mobile website raised some eyebrows, a lot of you asked for more details, so I’ll be upfront. We encountered a few last-minute issues specific to the EU version, and we have to fix them. Given the current timelines for production, it looks like SMTIV won’t be out in EU until late October.

No one likes delays. Our fans in Europe have been waiting for SMTIV for a *very* long time, and it pains us to have to move the release date back even further. I have talked to a few of you on Twitter, I’ve seen the angry posts on Reddit, NeoGAF, Facebook, etc., and wanted to be as direct as I could. We truly feel awful having to say “wait a little longer” for a game you've been so zealously patient for, but there is no other recourse. We’re doing everything we can to get the game out in Europe as fast as we can, so please bear with us.

Bad day to work for Atlus PR.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Japanese publishers are afraid of reverse importing because games are more expensive in Japan. That's the excuse why Persona 4 Arena is the only region locked game on the PS3.
The site got updated.. to remove the actual release date altogether. It's neither September nor November, just 2014 now.
It would be hilarious if by december they ended up cancelling the release altogether.
That would be some topkek if the digital version also got delayed 14-15 months like the physical release

Martius

Liturgist
At least there are some sing of improvements - it looks like Sega would publish P4AU in Europe and NISA already announced release date for Persona Q.

Unwanted

Atheist

Unwanted
Shitposter
Anyone in Europe got it yet?

Also which ending path did you take? Obviously The White ending is the most logically sound right?

Martius

Liturgist
We still dont have release date. Atlus USA PR guy said it should be released before end of this month.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
6SgCaH8.png

(old pic, as Devil Survivor 2 has been released since then)
This is why console sucks. The PC market has never suffered from that kind of retardation. Praise gaben, and hope that some day, they see the light, just as a few other JRPG dev did (Elminage, Legend of Heroes, Squaresoft slowly porting all their games over etc).

In the case of Atlus we're not talking about games that are going through heavy localization. 90%, if not all (I never feel safe to say "all") of their games are released in English in Europe, and nothing else. Yet they always keep delaying forever what is essentially the same copy as the fucking american game.

Martius

Liturgist
This is why console sucks. The PC market has never suffered from that kind of retardation. Praise gaben, and hope that some day, they see the light, just as a few other JRPG dev did (Elminage, Legend of Heroes, Squaresoft slowly porting all their games over etc).

In the case of Atlus we're not talking about games that are going through heavy localization. 90%, if not all (I never feel safe to say "all") of their games are released in English in Europe, and nothing else. Yet they always keep delaying forever what is essentially the same copy as the fucking american game.
Not really, some steam games are region locked. Its not that often but happens sometimes.
As for Atlus - I guess its just their lack of presence in Europe. Their main source of income are of course Japan and USA. Europe never was big part of that so they wont bother with faster releases and marketing so that never changes and the magic circle stays the same. SMT4 is strange thing, during that whole wait NIS managed to publish few Atlus game. I wonder why they couldn't handle SMT4 too. Maybe because of Sega buying whole Index or Nintendo wanted to make multi localization but someone screwed up. Probably we will never know.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
You really shouldn't buy this. Getting a digital game to a store should not take this fucking long. Atlus had the nerve to postpone the DIGITAL RELEASE twice and cite "technical problems" as the reason why the game still isn't out, but their PR people refused to tell what exactly those technical problems are. What exactly do they have to do, besides changing "ATLUS 2013" to "ATLUS 2014" in the title screen?

That picture is missing examples of games that were ported/remade to multiple platforms before being localized in Europe

Chrono Trigger
NA August 22, 1995
AU February 3, 2009
EU February 6, 2009
As for Atlus - I guess its just their lack of presence in Europe. Their main source of income are of course Japan and USA.
Of course USA generates more income when they get more actual marketing and better releases. And on top of that when it comes to platforms with out region locking, some of the USA income came from European fans importing the games.
Although USA+Canada region has a higher purchasing power on average as well as more native English speaker, Europe still has a larger population (+there's at least some sales from Russia as well). I don't buy the idea that you have to translate these games for Europeans, if you play dungeon crawlers, you know how to speak English, period. But even if Atlus would loose a big portion of their South European sales (counting France as Southern Europe here), that's only ~~30% of the population (not counting Greece as S. Europe nor Switzerland and Norway as parts of EU)

Last edited:

Martius

Liturgist
I am not sure if not buying it is good way to send message. I know most people want to show that they dont like being screwed but on the other hand company could see just low sale numbers and nothing more. I guess they have to change something since with Devil Survivor remake they managed to add some game breaking bugs ( in nearly just short 2 years).

Martius

Liturgist
I am surprised but it looks like game will be released on 30th October! Thanks god, they managed to avoid another delay of delay of delay. Cant wait for finally play true Shin Megami Tensei game!
:d1p:

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Finally got released in EU. Jeebus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom