Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Stabwound

Arcane
Has anyone been playing the new SMT game for the Nintendo DS? I'm enjoying it a lot because not only is it a grid-based dungeon crawler, but it takes place outside of Japan (the south pole, inside of what you could compare to a black hole, to be exact) so it avoids the Japanese fuckery and names like Junpei Takiguchi, which if you're like me just makes your eyes glaze over. Basically, you have your main character, you answer Ultima-like questions at the beginning to determine your character type, and build the rest of your team by recruiting monsters and fusing them to create new and better ones. You also upgrade your suit (called a "Demonica" with new abilities and crap to help travel through the dungeons. If you have a DS and haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it, even some of the previous SMT games were way too Japanese for you to enjoy, like they were for me.

This is the only picture I could find in English of the main dungeon screen but you get the idea.

v79qft.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Are the dungeons more than juts long tunnels with enemies in them? I really hated the dungeons in Etrian Odyssey.

Fyz

Scholar
SMT games have pretty old schoolish dungeons. The map of this one looks promising too.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's a good game. Sort of like Dark Spire but with demons instead of party members. Feels like Shin Megami Tensei 1 & 2. Small flaw: bit too much text. I prefer empty dungeon corridors to too much exposition. Otherwise, perfectly workable dungeon crawler. (Though apparently on the Codex now, dungeon crawler = jRPG. Wizardry-fans = weeaboos)

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Standing with your 4 party members in a line, while the monsters stand in a line across from you, while choosing from amongst such tactical options as

"Attack"
"Fire"
"Heal"

Is pretty similar to the typical JRPG combat.

It's true this was also used in some older Western games, but aside from the perspective being first person instead of third, it's extremely similar to JRPG combat.

Note that the famed JRPG "Pokey mans" has an extremely, extremely similar combat system, albeit one with far more tactical depth.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am trying to form a coherent counter argument, but I suppose I just end up with lame appeals to emotion again. I just have to wonder, though: how did you ever become an RPG fan if you look for more combat depth than the (TONS) of spells and abilities in this game?

It can't have been Wizardry or Might and Magic, not 1-3 at any rate. Unless you liked the puzle solving aspects of M&M - the combat depth it can't be. It can't have been Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master or those kind of real-time RPGs either because they have even less depth. That also rules out Lands of Lore. What else is there? Goldbox, I suppose. I wouldn't call it that tactical either though- I mean, of course it is already way more tactical by sheer implementation of movement on a grid, but what you do on that grid remains primitive, and a lot of your tactical options are technically abuse, in a way: narrow corridors, dust of disappearance, that sort of thing. Even so, hardly as tactical as a real tactical game.

Maybe you like RPGs because of Ultima? No, that can't be it... they ditched tactical combat with 7, and before that it was fairly awful with very little tactical options (less than the non-top down ones IMO). Fallout? I suppose Fallout would win, but you only control one person, which sort of cripples it. Maybe Betrayal at Krondor? That can't be, nothing in Krondor requires even half the amount of thought or preperation than what SMT 1 & 2 throw at you (and I don't mean grinding).

Look, my point is, are you really looking for much deeper combat than this, or saying that "jRPG" combat is so much different from the combat of RPGs? I think we can both agree that we have yet to encounter a game that actually had tactically meaningful combat while also being an RPG (I'd call Jagged Allicance 2 a strategy game, but it's closest to what I am thinking of.)

By which I mean that you aren't really raising a valid criticism- the combat is certainly no worse nor better than what RPG fans grew up with, and it is sort of unfair to judge like this when there hasn't actually mean an RPG that had meaningful tactical combat. (And I don't mean these "Tactics" games, to me they clearly are strategy games, not RPGs.)

Edit: sorry for the wall of text. Maybe you can explain to me how "Pokeymans" has a far deeper combat system though, I'd like to hear that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It's like I was sucked into a weird parallel world of SSBB tourneyfags.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
What's this game's difficulty and atmosphere like? Is it close to SMT Nocturne? I want another SMT game like that, have been pretty disappointed with the new entries in the series since then.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
First of all, Jasede, you're reading too much negativity into my comments. It's true I'm not a huge fan of this genre, but in the other thread I did mention that I find this particular game to be one of the more competently done examples.

It's probably my own fault, as I couldn't resist the "less depth than Pokemon" cheap shot, but it's less negative than it sounds, as CK so ably illustrated, Pokemon is actually designed as a competitive multiplayer game and has quite a bit of depth, at least that's what I gather from the few narrated youtube battles I've watched.

Ultimately though, my purpose of my post was to label SMT:SJ as having JRPG combat, rather than to criticize it overly harshly.

r0s951.jpg

vie61x.png

21eqfco.jpg

Combat where your party and the monsters stand immobile across from each other and trade attacks and where actions occur purely through menus is classic JRPG combat. It may well have been invented in the West, but the Japs were the ones who ran it into the ground.

While it's more commonly associated with third person battle graphics, as you can see, 1st person was also common.

This kind of combat can be ok, there are least a few games with this sort of combat that also have excellent combat. But I don't see how it's not JRPG combat.

Jasede said:
... how did you ever become an RPG fan if you look for more combat depth than the (TONS) of spells and abilities in this game?

It can't have been Wizardry or Might and Magic, not 1-3 at any rate. Unless you liked the puzle solving aspects of M&M - the combat depth it can't be. It can't have been Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master or those kind of real-time RPGs either because they have even less depth. That also rules out Lands of Lore. What else is there? Goldbox, I suppose.

How did I become a RPG fan? Simple. My enjoyment of RPGs (and video games in general) is probably an (very, very slightly) more grown up extension of my enjoyment of playing war with plastic figures as a kid.

I want to command little plastic guys a band of doughty adventurers or mercenaries and lead them into glorious battle, but I much prefer when they're not generic faceless grunts, but RPG style characters.

So admittedly I am greatly biased in favor of games where you get to move around on the map.

However, again, my purpose in this thread was not so much to bash, but to defend the characterization of SMT:SJ as having JPRG combat.

Look, my point is, are you really looking for much deeper combat than this, or saying that "jRPG" combat is so much different from the combat of RPGs? I think we can both agree that we have yet to encounter a game that actually had tactically meaningful combat while also being an RPG (I'd call Jagged Allicance 2 a strategy game, but it's closest to what I am thinking of.)

I think you're overestimating the depth of the combat in SMT a bit, as it's really more about how you build your demons than how you use them, using them seems relatively straightforward. The depth of the party building is pretty high, the combat seems somewhat formulaic, but still solid, at least for those who are fans of the genre.

PorkaMorka said:
I think you're overestimating the depth of the combat in SMT a bit, as it's really more about how you build your demons than how you use them, using them seems relatively straightforward. The depth of the party building is pretty high, the combat seems somewhat formulaic, but still solid, at least for those who are fans of the genre.

This is why I really liked Devil Survivor. Still a crap-top of demon building (which is much easier with the massively improved fusion system), but actually fighting in battles was more then just "Well, they are weak to fire so use fire!", since properly maneuvering your groups was the difference between quickly face stomping the opposition and your own ass getting raped. Missions where you had to protect NPC's were especially fun, which is a first AFAIK for any game.

Strange Journey appears to be good for what it is so far.

Zomg

Arbiter
Jasede said:
I am trying to form a coherent counter argument, but I suppose I just end up with lame appeals to emotion again. I just have to wonder, though: how did you ever become an RPG fan if you look for more combat depth than the (TONS) of spells and abilities in this game?

It can't have been Wizardry or Might and Magic, not 1-3 at any rate. Unless you liked the puzle solving aspects of M&M - the combat depth it can't be. It can't have been Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master or those kind of real-time RPGs either because they have even less depth. That also rules out Lands of Lore. What else is there? Goldbox, I suppose. I wouldn't call it that tactical either though- I mean, of course it is already way more tactical by sheer implementation of movement on a grid, but what you do on that grid remains primitive, and a lot of your tactical options are technically abuse, in a way: narrow corridors, dust of disappearance, that sort of thing. Even so, hardly as tactical as a real tactical game.

Maybe you like RPGs because of Ultima? No, that can't be it... they ditched tactical combat with 7, and before that it was fairly awful with very little tactical options (less than the non-top down ones IMO). Fallout? I suppose Fallout would win, but you only control one person, which sort of cripples it. Maybe Betrayal at Krondor? That can't be, nothing in Krondor requires even half the amount of thought or preperation than what SMT 1 & 2 throw at you (and I don't mean grinding).

By which I mean that you aren't really raising a valid criticism- the combat is certainly no worse nor better than what RPG fans grew up with, and it is sort of unfair to judge like this when there hasn't actually mean an RPG that had meaningful tactical combat. (And I don't mean these "Tactics" games, to me they clearly are strategy games, not RPGs.)

Edit: sorry for the wall of text. Maybe you can explain to me how "Pokeymans" has a far deeper combat system though, I'd like to hear that.

No one did, we started liking them because grindan is fun for 11-year-old autistics and now we have mastered rationalization

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Zomg, I think that might actually be true... looking back, Might and Magic and Wizardry are nothing but grindfests with dungeons and clues, at least in some way.

Hey Porka, thanks for the very good post. I thought you'd poke fun at me for my own one since in retrospect it wasn't too well thought out - especially since on second thought I'd backpedal and agree - that is of course jRPG combat, yeah, like in Lufia or Phantasy Star or Dark Spire (and thus, in a way, Wizardry & Might and Magic, of course). I think I arrived on my first conclusion by something like "It has dungeons that you crawl, thus its a dungeon crawler, not a jRPG combat story-fest", but there is no reason it couldn't be both a dungeon crawler and have jRPG combat. I think my mind just didn't want to bring those things together, to protect its sanity lest I start thinking some older games I really liked are actually really close to this model.

Repressed Homosexual
There is no map nagivation anymore, and it sucks. I've played all the older games and the whole point of it was getting lost on a huge map representing a fucked-up world filled with dungeons and being unsure of where to go next.

Now it's been reduced to nothing but linear dungeons like in Etrian Odyssey.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
21eqfco.jpg

what game is this from ?
It reminds me of phantasy star but I'm not sure.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Phantasy star 1-4 were pretty good games. I'm "Buying" SMT:SJ as we speak. How's the story? is it grind heavy?

Repressed Homosexual
I'm finding myself overloaded by the story and constant interruptions so far. It's pretty good and so is the dialogue, but at some point I'm like damn, just let me explore the dungeons alone.

Story is OK, if it doesn't bother you that its very similar to every other SMT game. The atmosphere and the way the story plays out is pretty good, but it IS the same demons Vs. God thing and there are a lot of smaller similarities. You can pretty much pick out whose going to be the champion of chaos/law from the first time you meet them.

There isn't much grind IF IF IF you are keeping a good team with you.

Basically, hitting weaknesses in and of itself isn't all that important anymore. Whats important is that all of your allies with the same alignment as the attacker get a free attack against foes who have their weakness hit (kind of like the all out attack method of persona 3/4, but far less overpowered since its intended to be used on bosses as well). This means that your alignment is really critically important, contrary to the other games. You can recruit everything, but if they are all of the same alignment you rape so much harder. Annoyingly, its possible to change your alignment as you are in dialog with a boss, meaning your perfectly constructed team loses half its strength in the actual boss fight if you aren't careful :lol:

Buff spells are as awesome as always in SMT. Status spells seem overpowered, literally everything falls to charm or stone or sleep + the spell the kills all sleeping foes. Its much harder to maintain the 'perfect' skill list with the new fusion system, though. No rerolls, you get what you get.

Fusion itself is possible anywhere and anytime. This means you can really constantly recruit and fuse everything you find which is pretty damn awesome. Leveling demons gets you demon sources which are used in fusions to add more skills. Unfortunately you can't get a demon source twice, and chances are you want a skill that only appears in 5% of them. Again, its really hard to maintain that perfect demon composition that you really want, especially for bosses.

The level design itself is pretty nice. Every level has a distinct theme, and you get a bunch of upgrades that make you want to go back and re-search levels almost in a metroid-like fashion since your upgrades will open up new paths and let you find more powerful monsters and items hanging around. Its completely discontinuous though and no world map, you warp directly into the area and search from there. I can't say I really like that, but it is a DS game so I suppose we have to work with what we got.

Overall, its quite good.

Humanity has risen! said:
I'm finding myself overloaded by the story and constant interruptions so far. It's pretty good and so is the dialogue, but at some point I'm like damn, just let me explore the dungeons alone.
This ends pretty quickly. The entire first dungeon is basically a long tutorial. The next dungeon is 7 floors of painfully interconnected paths full of invisible pitfalls, damaging floors, and hidden rooms. Though you do still have to take a few story-forced exploratory missions that only cover a few levels and fights a sub boss or two. This is something most dungeons seem to have in common.

Humanity has risen! said:
How do you check your alignment is there something I missed?
The color of your character or demon's name. Red = Chaos, White = Neutral, Blue = Law. I don't recall this actually being mentioned in any tutorial (though I may have skipped over it), but it becomes pretty obvious as soon as you start meeting all the angels and stuff.

deuxhero

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
This is why I really liked Devil Survivor. Still a crap-top of demon building (which is much easier with the massively improved fusion system), but actually fighting in battles was more then just "Well, they are weak to fire so use fire!", since properly maneuvering your groups was the difference between quickly face stomping the opposition and your own ass getting raped. Missions where you had to protect NPC's were especially fun, which is a first AFAIK for any game..

I see you never got halfway through a megaten game. The bosses are a great deal harder once they stop having weaknesses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom