Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Sentinel

Arcane
Avatar Anubis: A god of Egyptian myth with a jackal's head, he guides the dead. In the "Court of Osiris" where the souls of the dead are judged, he carries out the duty of deciding whether the dead are able to go to heaven by weighing their hearts.

Next: Element Flaemis

Sentinel

Arcane
Yoma Apsaras: A water spirit of Indian myth. Her name means "one who moves in water." She takes the appearance of a young, voluptuous woman, and is used as an example of worldly desires preventing the fulfillment of asceticism.

Sentinel

Arcane
Kunitsu Kushinada-Hime: A goddess of Japanese mythology. She was born as the youngest of eight sisters, but lost all her sisters as sacrifices to Yamata-no-Orochi. She was about to be sacrificed herself, but she was saved by Susano-o, who arrived to slay Yamata-no-Orochi, and later became his wife.

catgode

Novice
Apparently the director is now officially known and some l*dditors have been losing their shit over it, I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned here yet. It's Shigeo Komori, and of note is him being a director for most of the Etrian Odyssey games, as far as I can tell.

My Japanese is nonexistent so I have to trust the Famitsu translations on personacentral and the l*ddit mob, but I don't think they'd fuck up a name, someone who's better at this may want to factcheck.

Here's the links I got:
> The articel in question on personacentral <
> Relevant scans (Famitsu) <

Sentinel

Arcane
Wilder Bugs: A type of goblin that appears in English folklore. It has the appearance of a human covered in hair, and is synonymous with nightmares and monsters that appear at night.

Sentinel

Arcane
Shin Megami Tensei V Director Confirmed to be Etrian Odyssey Series Director Shigeo Komori, Developer Messages
Additionally, the SMT V Famitsu feature includes messages from the game’s lead development staff. While Kazuyuki Yamai was previously known as the SMT series producer working on SMT V, and that Masayuki Doi was the game’s character designer, both the composer and the director had not been officially announced. As assumed due to his previous work on the series, Ryota Kozuka is the composer for Shin Megami Tensei V, with contributions from Toshiki Konishi.

Surprisingly, the director for Shin Megami Tensei V is Shigeo Komori, best known as the director behind the Etrian Odyssey series. He had previously worked on other Megaten games as an scenario writer and event planner.

From the development staff’s messages, it sounds like the staff involved with SMT V changed significantly since the beginning of development until now, as more members from around Atlus started working on the game in order to finish it. This could perhaps be related to the game’s “scrap-and-build” development phase reported by Yamai in December 2017, before the “full-scale development” phase began near February 2018.

Below are Shin Megami Tensei V development staff messages:

Kazuyuki Yamai (Initial Planning)
This is an era of misfortune. Are we to lament God’s absence and be content with the status quo? Reality has become an extraordinary place called “Da’at.” However, this place must have potential worth fighting for. Become a “Nahobino” transcending human knowledge, becoming a light against the misfortune. Will you envision despair or hope? Your choice will determine everything…

It has been a long time since the first report, but it looks like we will finally be able to show the true value of this game to the world. The development team did not give up until the end, and have worked together to complete this gem of an RPG. We hope you will play this game and give us your feedback. I hope you enjoy it.

Masayuki Doi (Character Design)
In this game, I focused on creating realistic designs for the characters, including the main character. I wanted to emphasize the importance of giving a sense of reality to the characters’ designs, along with the idea, “What if everyday life and the people around us suddenly changed?” I think such surprises are very important in games. I wanted to make the demons that threaten the survival of the protagonists more alien, and that was achieved by not overdoing it with the character design.

Even still, this is a “Shin Megami Tensei” game. In order to survive this decadent world, you can’t just be an ordinary person. The protagonists are forced to make several choices to change. We hope you will look forward to this game, in which you’ll be able to experience these changes and surprises.

Shigeo Komori (Director)
Hello everyone, I’m Komori, the director of Shin Megami Tensei V. It’s been a long time since the announcement of the game, but in order to meet the expectations of our users, we had to transcend team boundaries and bring together myself and the rest of the various Atlus production staff members to develop the game. The core worldview, setting, and characters were put in place by the members who had been there in the beginning of development. So we worked together with the new staff who joined afterwards to complete the game, keeping in mind that we should focus on the “Megaten” style without betraying fans of the series.

I myself was once involved with Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne and Maniax. Because of that, I feel that I was able to use that experience to create a dark and unique worldview, creating the fun of a simple but deep RPG. I would like to thank all the fans who have supported the series so far. We hope that the fans who have supported the series until now, as well as the users who are interested in the new title, will enjoy the game, so please wait a little longer until it’s released.

Ryota Kozuka (Composer)
Following Shin Megami Tensei IV and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, I have assumed the role of the composer for Shin Megami Tensei V. The game has really changed and evolved in many ways from the previous games in the series, and I have been working on the soundtrack to keep up with that.

This time around, we had [Toshiki] Konishi from the sound team, who had worked on the background music for SMT IV and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux, create quite a few songs. I hope you enjoy not only the BGM, but also the rest of the sound design.

Sentinel

Arcane
I’m Doi, and I’m in charge of the character, demon designs, and art direction for Shin Megami Tensei V. Similarly to Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux, from today onwards I’ll be writing about the new demon designs on a regular basis.

Here’s a brief introduction to what I’ll be discussing in this column. The demons that appear in the game are based on the design drawings, and they have been carefully crafted by the development staff that has worked together to complete the modeling, animation, and accompanying work while pouring their hearts and souls into it. The category of demon design covers a wide range of areas, including the expression of character traits along with story scenarios and how they are represented in event scenes.

In this column, since I myself was involved in the game’s development in a way that was not only limited to drawing, I would like to talk about a wide range of topics, as well as some behind-the-scenes stories. (Of course, since it’s before the game’s release, I will try to not give away too many spoilers.)

I hope that through this series of columns, I will be able to make everyone more interested in this game, even if only a little. I hope you will wait patiently until the release.

E7PU4j0VIB8cJMc
E7PU5Y-VIBE1CeQ

Sentinel

Arcane
Yoma Agathion: A familiar used by humans, it is a spirit with no physical body. It only appears in the middle of the day. It is mainly sealed within vases or bottles, but can also be sealed within rings, magic squares, and amulets.

Sentinel

Arcane
Dragon Ananta: A world serpent of Indian myth, he appears at the beginning and end of the world. On the endless sea of milk on which Ananta stands, Vishnu sleeps above him, and when he wakes, the creation of the world began.

Sentinel

Arcane
Apparently the director is now officially known and some l*dditors have been losing their shit over it, I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned here yet. It's Shigeo Komori, and of note is him being a director for most of the Etrian Odyssey games, as far as I can tell.

My Japanese is nonexistent so I have to trust the Famitsu translations on personacentral and the l*ddit mob, but I don't think they'd fuck up a name, someone who's better at this may want to factcheck.

Here's the links I got:
> The articel in question on personacentral <
> Relevant scans (Famitsu) <
Why are they mad about the director? Is it because of the pedo artstyle of etrian odyssey?

Sentinel

Arcane
Kishin Bishamonten: A guardian deity of Buddhism and one of the Four Heavenly Kings. The Eight Legions are in his clan, receives orders from Taishakuten, and guards the North. Because Prince Shotoku prayed to him for victory, he garnered popularity from warriors as a god of battle.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Avian Thunderbird: A large spirit bird and heavenly spirit that appears in Native American mythology. Resembling an eagle, it is said to live high in the sky. Its cry and flaps of its wings are thunder, and the light that comes from its eyes are lightning flashes.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
They are doing a great job with the sound design of the demons. They all sound fantastic.

Sentinel

Arcane
Atlus has released a new set of screenshots and information for Shin Megami Tensei V detailing recently introduced characters Shoei Yakumo, Nuwa, and Abdiel, as well as the game’s Negotiation, Fusion, and skill / stat building systems.

■ The Latest Installment of Atlus’ Critically Acclaimed Shin Megami Tensei Series

In 1992, the very first Shin Megami Tensei title was released to the world. The dark narrative that delved into anarchic themes uncommon in games at the time, paired with the innovative battle system where players recruit demons and gods to fight alongside them, led the game and series to gain a cult following. The critically acclaimed Persona and Devil Summoner series all began from here.

Now, in 2021, the newest installment of the series, Shin Megami Tensei V, will deliver an all-new demonic experience that fully utilizes the high-quality graphics that a modern console brings, while staying true to the series’ roots.

■ Characters

Shohei Yakumo (voiced by Tomokazu Sugita)

A mysterious man who stands in the way of the protagonist as he advances through Da’at. He calls himself an exterminator of demons, though his motives and true allegiance remain unknown. His only partner is Nuwa, a demon herself.

Nuwa (voiced by Ayana Taketatsu)

A goddess that appears in Chinese mythology. She’s worked alongside Yakumo since he was young to fulfill a certain goal. She confronts the protagonist without warning or mercy.

Abdiel (voiced by Romi Park)

The archangel in command of Bethel’s main branch. Stern and uncompromising, she uses her overwhelming power to eradicate anyone who threatens the aims of Bethel. She’s fervently devoted to God, and is committed to defending His order at all costs.

■ Demons

While exploring Da’at, you will encounter over 200 types of demons. Aside from the classics, several new demons will appear, designed by character designer Masayuki Doi.

(Lady) Inanna

(Lady) Danu

(Beast) Loup-Garou

(Vile) Lahmu

(Lady) Ishtar

(Drake) Hydra

■ Systems

Negotiation

You can talk to enemy demons to turn them into an ally instead. Demons all have their own personalities and quirks, and this game will feature all-new behavioral patterns. It is said that the temperaments of demons also are influenced by moon phases, particularly beneath full and new moons. Demons are hard to read and harder to convince, but taking chances with outlandish responses is part of the fun.

In addition, having certain demons in your party may lead to special conversations with enemy demons you encounter. Certain demons that share mythological connections sometimes seem to recognize each other; experiment, and you may be surprised by what ensues.

Fusions

—Sophia (voiced by Sayaka Kinoshita)

Demon fusion allows you to combine two demons to create a new one. Aside from the basic two-demon fusion, you can also perform “reverse fusion”, where you’re able to see the results first and select the necessary demons accordingly; special fusions, which involve fusing two-to-four demons to create even stronger ones; and elemental fusions, which allow you to upgrade or downgrade to another demon within the same family. Fusing allows you to transfer your favorite skills freely into newer demons (aside from a few exceptions)—visit Sophia in the World of Shadows to create your own unique, powerful demon!

—Special Fusion

—Reverse Fusion

—Elemental Fusion

—Create Your Own Demon!

Skill / Stat Building Features

—Essences

As you explore Da’at, you will come across Essences– spiritual cores imbued with the power of demons. You may receive essences from specific demons—for example, Pixie’s Essence from a Pixie—and they are infused with the skills and affinities of that demon. By fusing them with the protagonist, you can customize his skills and affinities to your liking. You can even fuse them with demons in your party to tailor their skills too!

—Glory and Miracles

In Da’at, you can also obtain Glory, a manifestation of divine dignity. You can spend Glory to learn Miracles when you visit the World of Shadows. Miracles are said to be powerful abilities that alter the laws of nature, and they encompass a variety of skills that can assist you in battle, negotiations, demon fusions, skill potentials, and even stat-building. Strengthen the protagonist by collecting Glory and learning Miracles.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Drake Seth: An evil god of Egyptian mythology, he was originally a chief god worshipped in the Upper Egypt region. He murdered his brother Osiris as part of his plot and became the ruler of the gods, but was defeated by Osiris's son Horus.

Last edited:

Nathir

Liturgist
> Drake Seth

I mean, there's a reason he was Vile or Tyrant in the older games.

Sentinel

Arcane
Beast Loup-garou: A type of werewolf from France. During the day, they take the shape of a human, but at night, they turn into a werewolf and attack people. It's said that once one has become a Loup-garou, there is no way to turn back into a human.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom