Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shining Force Series

Johnny Rico

Literate
Btw, is there any good hacks for the games?
There whole page on romhacking. Mostly for the second part. Is someone tried something from there(or anywhere else)?
Shining Tactics for 2nd is really worth a try, many changes for refreshing new runs
:thumbsup:

Johnny Rico

Literate
The 'diablo clones' (Neo and Exa) are actually pretty rad. They're clones of the Record of Lodoss War game for the dreamcast, made by the same team that did Lufia 2 and some other cool, more obscure games. They have really cool character customization systems, where you pick and choose which stats to increase in a very granular way, after unlocking the options by finding monoliths scattered around the world. Tons of side content gated by interchangable keys, so you can choose to try an arena full of goblins... or one full of giant sandworms. Very exploration heavy and combat focused. Story is derp but whatever, the gameplay is solid after you get past the initial tutorial phase. It'd have sold like hotcakes with better marketing instead of being saddled with a long dead brand that has nothing to do with it. I'd kill for a modern game made in that style under a better IP.

True question is : OST by Sakuraba or not ? (I hate his work except 90's stuffs, so repetitive, so lame cheap prog rock)

(just kidding, I have a grudge against him, way overrated for me...)

Just watched some gameplay of both EXA and NEO, and while combats and general art looks somehow cool and worthy to try, there is (as expected) NOTHING in common with Shining Force original serie, I hate those cheap marketing choices...and cutscenes voice acting is :mad:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess MAME is the only way to play the arcade shining game

Shining Force Cross

Arcade
  • JP: 2009
Shining Force Cross Raid
  • JP: 2010
Shining Force Cross Elysion
  • JP: 2012
Shining Force Cross Exlesia
  • JP: 2013
Shining Force Cross Exlesia Zenith
  • JP: 2014

Terra

Cipher
I tried (but did not finish) SF2 Tactics+ mod, that was pretty fun from what I played. I watched/listened to a lets play of the SF2 War of the Gods mod as well, that was pretty entertaining to watch for a returning player, mixing things up a bit like FF7's New Threat mod did. I did also notice this for SF2 recently which seems to be an effort to give each character unique in-battle sprites; so characters aren't just straight recolours. Not tried it but it seems interesting.

Johnny Rico

Literate
I tried (but did not finish) SF2 Tactics+ mod, that was pretty fun from what I played. I watched/listened to a lets play of the SF2 War of the Gods mod as well, that was pretty entertaining to watch for a returning player, mixing things up a bit like FF7's New Threat mod did. I did also notice this for SF2 recently which seems to be an effort to give each character unique in-battle sprites; so characters aren't just straight recolours. Not tried it but it seems interesting.
wow, wasn't aware of this graphic mod, thanks

Johnny Rico

Literate
Worth checking this mod, alternate story of the first game, with gender swapping of main character :

https://sfmods.com/resources/shining-force-alternate.167/

Maxine:
The main hero, it wouldn't be an alternate universe without gender swapping the main character, would it?
1-maxine-card-png.5291

Just kidding, didn't know all this shit could reach classic series of the 90's...Look at this artwork, this is ridiculous :hahano:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know this is wishful thinking, but with all these SEGA IP revivals, and the success of turn-based games in general, I can only pray for a Shining Force IV.
:negative:

Johnny Rico

Literate
I know this is wishful thinking, but with all these SEGA IP revivals, and the success of turn-based games in general, I can only pray for a Shining Force IV.
Only if original developper are in the project, but they are for the most part known today as Camelot, working for Nintendo's IP like Mario Golf and Tennis for many years...

So a big NO for me

The 'diablo clones' (Neo and Exa) are actually pretty rad. They're clones of the Record of Lodoss War game for the dreamcast, made by the same team that did Lufia 2 and some other cool, more obscure games. They have really cool character customization systems, where you pick and choose which stats to increase in a very granular way, after unlocking the options by finding monoliths scattered around the world. Tons of side content gated by interchangable keys, so you can choose to try an arena full of goblins... or one full of giant sandworms. Very exploration heavy and combat focused. Story is derp but whatever, the gameplay is solid after you get past the initial tutorial phase. It'd have sold like hotcakes with better marketing instead of being saddled with a long dead brand that has nothing to do with it. I'd kill for a modern game made in that style under a better IP.
Thanks for the recommendation. Would you say Exa is strictly a better game and therefore Neo is skippable? It seems to be a superior iteration from what little I've played of both.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Thanks for the recommendation. Would you say Exa is strictly a better game and therefore Neo is skippable? It seems to be a superior iteration from what little I've played of both.
They've both got theirs pros and cons. Exa is certainly more polished; the allies are more balanced, you've got 2 different characters, the base building mechanic makes things a bit more interesting, and the gear is probably better balanced as well. Neo gave you some more freedom earlier from what I recall though, and was generally the more interesting world to explore. Maybe the dungeon rewards were better or something? I forget. Maybe I preferred the active skills or spells. You may as well skip Neo and go for Exa; if you enjoy the game enough to want more it won't be spoiled by having played Exa first. The Record of Lodoss War game is pretty good too- better atmosphere, certainly, but the least polished of them all in terms of systems, balance, and level designs. Also it pretty much completely lacks spellcaster options.

Johnny Rico

Literate
I don’t know about you, but cursor/selection/interface SFX are WAY too loud, there is a tweak by disabling one of the channel on Genesis emulator (on Retroarch, at least), if anybody is interested, I can check which one it is

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So…. then Might & Magic 3 might be tolerable on the genesis? Warning!

TURN YOUR VOLUME UP ALL THE WAY!!!

deuxhero

Arcane
Only if original developper are in the project, but they are for the most part known today as Camelot, working for Nintendo's IP like Mario Golf and Tennis for many years...

So a big NO for me
They haven't even finished Golden Sun after leaving it on a cliffhanger. I think a tactical RPG with an emphasis on manipulating unit placement and terrain with magic (like FFT/FFTA has in a few abilities but never really focuses on) would be a fine way to blend GS and SF.

Johnny Rico

Literate

So a big NO for me
They haven't even finished Golden Sun after leaving it on a cliffhanger. I think a tactical RPG with an emphasis on manipulating unit placement and terrain with magic (like FFT/FFTA has in a few abilities but never really focuses on) would be a fine way to blend GS and SF.

I wasn't much into Golden Sun, nice games but played it maybe too late... But a blend of all of this would be great yes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom