Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shivering Isles - Oblivion expansion?

St. Toxic

Arcane
VD is secretly on the Bethesda payroll.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
They are no so bad. They pay regularly, plus there are bonuses and free Oblivion t-shirts. Can't beat that.

denizsi

Arcane
Seems to be a standard "just in case" business practice these days.

Probably. Motion picture right to Oblivion is also registered. However, there are 7 registrations of Oblivion by ZeniMax, 1 dead, 6 live:

One dead for "computer game programs" only, filed in 1999 and abandoned in July 12,2003,

one live for "computer game programs" and "providing online computer games" which has been filed 6 days before the above one was abandoned,

one live for side products,

one live for the pressed media the game or a movie could be released on,

one live for theatrical motion picture and

one live for the one I referred to my previous post, which I associated with handheld games.

Note that there are two live and distinct ones among these: one for "computer game programs" only and one for "blah blah vai handheld, wireless etc". Also note that 5 out of 6 of these registrations has been published for opposition, except for the rights to the theatrical motion picture. Now that is a "just in case" practice, as it's registered but not published for opposition.

So, it's apparent to me that the distinction between the two registrations is that one is strictly for Oblivion for PC/Console and the other for Oblivion mobile.

Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles, however, haven't been published for opposition just yet.

edit: Search for "Bethesda Crab House". Nothing to see within the registration though.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Oblivion: Computer game programs was abandoned and replaced with Oblivion: Computer game programs; providing downloadable computer game programs offered via handheld computers, wireless telephones and mobile and wireless devices.

In other words, it's too early to conclude that the new names are for handheld games. Seems to be a standard "just in case" business practice these days.
That's for the Mobile Oblivion. There's a separate one for the PC/XBox Oblivion.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Oblivion: Computer game programs was abandoned and replaced with Oblivion: Computer game programs; providing downloadable computer game programs offered via handheld computers, wireless telephones and mobile and wireless devices.

In other words, it's too early to conclude that the new names are for handheld games. Seems to be a standard "just in case" business practice these days.
That's for the Mobile Oblivion. There's a separate one for PC/XBox Oblivion.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
copx said:
Vault Dweller why are you so obsessed with Oblivion? It is a stupid action game which according to your own review makes a terrible RPG. So why do you spam RPG Codex with Oblivion threads left and right?

Is any Oblivion mod (horse armour hooray!) and even wild speculation about the possible title of a possible expansion of a certainly not very RPGish action game Codex news?!
Personally, I am sick to death of all this Oblivion crap that is certainly not the stuff that attacts me to the codex!

I am the only one who feels this way?

I could care less about the actual game, but the threads do lead to comedy at times. It drove me nuts right before the release when we'd get multiple threads daily and each one having a couple hundred posts. The one or two now is fine in my book.

Also, I wonder if Bethseda will send VD a comped expansion for him to review? :)

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
PennyAnte said:
There are references to developments in the Black Marsh in the dialogue NPCs exchange with each other, as well as references to the same among Nords in Skyrim. Perhaps Knights is an expansion involving an expedition into the Black Marsh, with Shivering Isles having something to do with Skyrim (because it's, um, cold there). Not sure if expansions would do much to open new provinces though.

(edited to fix a typo.)

Close, but no cigar. Turns out the Shivering Isles are borderland between Black Marsh and Skyrim, making for giant glaciers (clever name then, no?) to hop on. In this land of ice a talking lion has led a revolt against a Queen of Ice, fighting over turkish delight and child sex slaves.

Nah, I have no clue. I beat Kvatch at level 1 on my brother's computer. That's as far as I got.

aries202

Erudite
HI :)

This looks most interesing, I think :)

However, Shivering Isles & Knights of the Nines
could be Oblivion content for handhelds etc. or for
an online TES game.

There really is no clear way of knowing this - until Bethsoft decides to announce either an expansion to Oblivion or an online game or more add-ons...

PennyAnte

Liturgist
copx said:
Is any Oblivion mod (horse armour hooray!) and even wild speculation about the possible title of a possible expansion of a certainly not very RPGish action game Codex news?!
It's at least nominally an RPG and is a big-budget big seller, so it's relevant from an industry news perspective if nothing else.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Fallout3.com hasn't been registered. However I can't bring myself to check who owns falloutgunsofdeath.com.

Token Nug

Novice
I personally enjoy reading about how terrible Oblivion is. It was the biggest disappointment ive ever experienced in a series.

Lets hear all the dirt!

Token Nug said:
I personally enjoy reading about how terrible Oblivion is. It was the biggest disappointment ive ever experienced in a series.

Lets hear all the dirt!

I enjoy mocking it for the same reason. Shitty game.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Vault Dweller said:
They are no so bad. They pay regularly, plus there are bonuses and free Oblivion t-shirts. Can't beat that.

I have just submitted the following NPC to the source repository of my game:

NAME:Vince D. Weller:
CAREER:Ganger:
MV:30:
CC:50:
RC:60:
ST:50:
TN:60:
IN:50:
LD:70:
SG:40:
FR:40:
PERK:Stimm resistant:
PERK:Leader:
OBJECT:Combat shotgun:
OBJECT:Chainaxe:
OBJECT:Leather armour:
OBJECT:Stoic:
DESCRIPTION:Vince D. Weller is the leader of the Dwellers, one of the most :
DESCRIPTION:powerful gangs of Hive Cruor. He has sold his 'services' to :
DESCRIPTION:the forces of chaos. Vince D. Weller is fat, but tough as hell.:

:P

Nothing personal, I just like the name.

Grog

Educated
So we know they've registered a trademark. They did not do this for the premium mods they've released so far. However, they did do this for the two Morrowind expansions, Bloodmoon and Tribunal. So maybe this is a boxed expansion we're looking at here, instead of a quick and dirty downloadable mod?

Hory

Erudite
f3ii4.jpg

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Say what you want, but without Bethesda these forums would be only half the fun, and twice as undead.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
copx said:
Vault Dweller why are you so obsessed with Oblivion? It is a stupid action game which according to your own review makes a terrible RPG. So why do you spam RPG Codex with Oblivion threads left and right?

Personally, I am sick to death of all this Oblivion crap that is certainly not the stuff that attacts me to the codex!

I am the only one who feels this way?

VD has been on Oblivion like a bad rash ever since Bethesda snatched up the Fallout license. I guarantee if they didn't buy Fallout there would barely be any Oblivion/Bethesda/ESF discussions.

VD doesn't give a rats ass about Oblivion. He's just pissed about Fallout so he goes after Bethesda through it. It's not like he can drive over and kick their asses.

He might deny this, but he knows it's true. :cool:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Nope. My issues with Bethesda have nothing to do with Fallout. Unlike many people I have accepted long time ago that Fallout (as in games similar in style and spirit to the original game) is dead and it aint coming back. Even Van Buren deviated enough to qualify to be a different game inspired by Fallout. I have no doubt that Troika could have made a good PA game with the Fallout license, but again, it would have been a different game.

I was disappointed when Bethesda got the license, but thought that a post-apocalyptic MW could have been entertaining enough to play, especially if improved a bit. However, Oblivion sucked so much, that if Fallout 3 follows the trend, I won't even bother installing it. Not because of any emotional issues, but because I'm not interested in such games just like I'm not interested in computer sport games. Not my cup of tea.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Vault Dweller said:
Nope. My issues with Bethesda have nothing to do with Fallout. Unlike many people I have accepted long time ago that Fallout (as in games similar in style and spirit to the original game) is dead and it aint coming back. Even Van Buren deviated enough to qualify to be a different game inspired by Fallout. I have no doubt that Troika could have made a good PA game with the Fallout license, but again, it would have been a different game.

I was disappointed when Bethesda got the license, but thought that a post-apocalyptic MW could have been entertaining enough to play, especially if improved a bit. However, Oblivion sucked so much, that if Fallout 3 follows the trend, I won't even bother installing it. Not because of any emotional issues, but because I'm not interested in such games just like I'm not interested in computer sport games. Not my cup of tea.

Bull shiesse! Oblivion couldn't possibly have sucked so much that you post about them every day for a year. Face it. You're mad that a mediocre developer will most likely destroy the image of your favorite game and it shows.

I predict it'll only get worse until long after Fallout 3 is released.

Vault Dweller

Developer
jiujitsu said:
Oblivion couldn't possibly have sucked so much that you post about them every day for a year.
What ELSE is there to post about? No, really? Unfortunately, Bethesda is the most active company these days (Oblivion, plug-ins, expansions, upcoming Fallout 3, etc).

Face it. You're mad that a mediocre developer will most likely destroy the image of your favorite game and it shows.
Like I said, *that* series is dead, just like Jagged Alliance, RoA, and XCOM are dead. Just because there is a new DSA game doesn't mean that the series is alive and kicking. The old one is dead, but the new one could be good and entertaining in its own different way.

With that in mind, I don't expect a mirror image of "my favorite game", but another post-apoc game. The only question is are we getting Morrowind or Oblivion. The former could be playable, the latter...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom