Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Shivering Isles reviews overload

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's from Idiocracy, if anyone's wondering or can't see it at all.

idiocracy_beingadick.jpg

Read the list of his crimes.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
Oblivion's graphics don't really look that great, I don't know what the fuss was all about.

Surgey

Scholar
If I remember correctly, there's a quest in Shivering Isles where a guy wants you to help him kill himself. Yeah. Totally not related to the guy who wanted you to help kill himself in Morrowind.

Surgey said:
If I remember correctly, there's a quest in Shivering Isles where a guy wants you to help him kill himself. Yeah. Totally not related to the guy who wanted you to help kill himself in Morrowind.

Suicide is FUNNY. ROOFLES.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Surgey said:
And in Baldur's Gate...and PS:T...and probably lots of other games...

Seboss

Liturgist
Apparently a bug snuck in with Shivering Isles which might render Oblivion unplayable after about 70+ hours of play with the same character, while playing with SI installed. The problem is due to a few scripts (running on six low level actors) generating new form IDs in rapid succession (anything from 100-400 form IDs per second, probably due to a script loop) and eventually depleting Oblivion of available IDs for storing in-game created items such as user crafted spells, user enchanted items etc in the save games.

Once the form ID adress space from #FF000000 to #FFFFFFFF has been used up any further runtime generated form IDs will begin being created at #00000000 and upwards. Any such runtime created items given such low form IDs will be considered invalid by Oblivion's game engine and will be silently removed upon reloading an affected save.

Once this has occured, and the form IDs between #FF000000 and #FFFFFFFF have been used up, the save game is beyond repair. This will typically occur after about 70 hours of play with a character, while playing with Shivering Isles installed and the offending scripts running. Note that EVEN IF YOU DO NOT enter Shivering Isles or progress in the SI quest you are STILL most likely affected by these offending scripts.

More info here:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Reference_Bug

Way to go Bethesda! :D

Fez

Erudite
If it is in the Xbox version then it'd be all the worse.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
IGN said:
The decisions you make regarding how to comply with Sheogorath's wishes have substantial and permanent effects on the game world and storyline, including determining which major NPC players live or die, what titles you receive, and ultimately what kind of specialized armor set you're rewarded with later on. By giving the player choices with real consequences, the game manages to captivate like no linear game possibly could. It works to make the virtual world seem more realistic, and make you, the player, relish a greater sense of power and individuality.

OMG T3H CONSEKWENCES!!!!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shannow said:
Surgey said:
And in Baldur's Gate...and PS:T...and probably lots of other games...

PS:T also had a woman who paid you for being allowed to kill *you*. Now this is something no other game has.

Texas Red

Whiner
Does Oblivious or SI have a mandatory fortune teller who tells you about your great destiniy but in the end, after having a glimpse at the antogonist, is overwhelmed? Ive seen this cliche over and over again. Bloodlines, BG2, Arcanum, Shadows of Undrentide... something else probably.

The Walkin' Dude said:
Does Oblivious or SI have a mandatory fortune teller who tells you about your great destiniy but in the end, after having a glimpse at the antogonist, is overwhelmed? Ive seen this cliche over and over again. Bloodlines, BG2, Arcanum, Shadows of Undrentide... something else probably.

I actually kind of like that cliche. Figuring out how the cryptic-ness all fits into the story (it only making sense after the event, of course), particularly on a second playthrough, can be quite enjoyable.

Inziladun

Magister
Can't neccesarily say I like having fortune-tellers in RPGs. But I must admit it was kind of humourous to hear that chick on the beach in Bloodlines say all those random things and eventually have it make perfect sense once you completed the game.

Yes, the only standout one I can recall is the one in Bloodlines.
Of course, recalling her saying "don't open it" really didn't stop me in the slightest.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Yep, the prophecy in bloodlines had actual useful advice in it. That was refreshingly original.
Gothic 2 also had an "overwhelmed" prophet, and so did Planescape. But I liked Planescape's prophecy, it was at the very beginning of the game, and foreshadows coming events in a atmosphere-building way, and also serves as character-building for the prophet.

Completely off topic: who do you guys think the shades of good, evil, and of neutrality, twisted by the laws of the planes were in PST? Trias, ravel, the transendant one?

sqeecoo said:
Yep, the prophecy in bloodlines had actual useful advice in it. That was refreshingly original.
Gothic 2 also had an "overwhelmed" prophet, and so did Planescape. But I liked Planescape's prophecy, it was at the very beginning of the game, and foreshadows coming events in a atmosphere-building way, and also serves as character-building for the prophet.

Completely off topic: who do you guys think the shades of good, evil, and of neutrality, twisted by the laws of the planes were in PST? Trias, ravel, the transendant one?

Athk mithter Avelloon

http://crap.planescape-torment.org/thre ... ecy2.htm#1

Shannow

Waster of Time
Inziladun said:
Can't neccesarily say I like having fortune-tellers in RPGs. But I must admit it was kind of humourous to hear that chick on the beach in Bloodlines say all those random things and eventually have it make perfect sense once you completed the game.
It was even more fun playing a Malkavian and realizing that your own comments made even more sense than hers *g*

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Jasede said:
...Jesus, you're shitting me, VD. You just made those reviews yourself and posted them on those sites under a pseudonym. I mean, "Even the side quests are inventive and interesting, such as ... finding an NPC named "Big Head" his magical fork."? You can't expect people to believe that even double-digit IQ people would call fork-finding interesting and inventive!
This is actually an allusion to Morrowind's Sheogorath Shrine Quest, where you had to kill a Giant Netch with the Fork Of Horripilation.

Why it's called that, I have no Idea. It doesn't seem to have any relation to goosebumps...

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Surgey said:
You mean in Bloodmoon? Where that old Dunmer wanted you to kill him in a fight?

Other than the common objective, I saw little correlation.

Ahzaruuk said:
Surgey said:
You mean in Bloodmoon? Where that old Dunmer wanted you to kill him in a fight?

Other than the common objective, I saw little correlation.

Wasn't it a Nord, so he could get into Valhalla (or Sovngarde, or whatever it was they called it)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom