Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should i play Witcher?

Nugs

Learned
Probated
Do i miss out on anything ?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
KalosKagathos said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
No, it's shit. Stay away.
:what:
Aren't you Polish?
OH GOD, HE'S A TRAITOR TO OUR COUNTRY! POLLACKS! WE CANNOT JUST LET IT BE!

kaczor-batowski-szarza-husarii.jpg

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Play it. It's the best RPG released in the last few years barring MOTB. Certainly it's better than ME/ME2 or DA: Orifices.

Quilty

Magister
Play The Witcher, don't mind the juvenile humor, the crappy combat, and just focus on how much of an incline it is over recent crap RPGs.

KalosKagathos

Learned
It massively improves in chapter 2, continues improving in 3, tops in 4, and declines a bit in 5 and the epilogue.

dr. one

Augur
Nugs said:
Do i miss out on anything ?

a great game, imo.
best action RPG since Gothic 2: NotR.

the beginning parts of the game are a bit misleading - tutorial contains unusually high amount of cutscenes and while there´s quite a lot to do in chapter 1, it overall comes off as rather bland and good quality of its climax may be diminished by a badly placed unbalanced encounter that comes right after it.
the game hits its stride in the second chapter and it takes a long time before it looses it a bit again in chapter 5.

its main persisting shortcomings are simplistic combat, limited character development and constrained movement (no jumping, climbing, swimming).

if you´ll play the game on hard (which i´d consider mandatory even for a first playthrough), you´ll get rid off retarded sword icon in combat and, at least to some extent, it should force you to utilize available combat options more fully (sword styles, alchemy, bombs, spells) as well as put a bit more weight on character development.

constrained movement and chapter-based storytelling aside, you´re given a solid amount of freedom within chapter limits so the game doesn´t feel entirely linear and retains a bit of openendedness.

i agree with Heresiarch that "it's one of the only true Dark-Gritty-Mature(tm) RPG" - there´s nothing marketing-y about this in The Witcher, it feels natural and it captures tone in Sapkowski´s books really well.

the story is well told and C&C are implemented effectively. even though you may not be aware of actual consequences to your actions, chances are that at some points you´ll be taking your time evaluating what decision to make.

solid visuals, great music and overall tone of story and dialogues gives the game a very strong edge in the absorbing atmosphere department which you´d be hardly pressed to find anywhere else, at least when it comes to newer titles.

anyway, got carried away a bit, your potential enjoyment depends mostly on how strongly you feel about the game´s shortcomings and whether you find its setting and tone appealing.
personally, i think that along with Mask of the Betrayer it´s the best RPG released in last 5 years or so.

made

Arcane
The question should rather be, "am I manly enough to play the Witcher?"

Only you can answer it.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Jaceu said:
witcher is for emo wannabe sephiroth newfags
Witcher was long before we had nighmares about sephiroth newfags ever existing (let alone, curse its name, sephiroth).

Joghurt

Augur
I am currently playing it for the first time (in the 3rd chapter now) since I didn't have good enough PC when it came out and I must say that I like it really well so far.

I really love the amount of alchemical potions, oils and bombs. It's staggering. And the cool thing is that on hard difficulty you really have to use them because there is no way you can survive without using them.

Also I like the monster descriptions in the glossary. You have to buy books and read about monsters and their weaknesses. And those books aren't fucking cheap. They cost on average of 500 gold.

The sucky part of the game is the combat, but on hard difficulty it's much more fun than on normal. When I started playing I started on normal difficulty and it was terrible. Basically all you have to do is click when your cursor changes to some flaming sword to continue your attacking. I got to chapter 2 on normal and decided to restart the game on hard. It's much more fun but not because you don't have the cursor but because you have to move tactically and use evading moves (double tap one of wasd keys).

Can't comment about the story because I don't understand what the fuck is going on because all I had to do now is hunt some "salamandra" gang. Hope it get's more interesting after chapter 3.

It's certainly better that recent Bioware/Bethesda crap we've been having in the last couple of years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom