Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should minimaps and compasses be gone from RPGs?

They should...

• Neither of them, exploration is the only way!

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Compasses are good, but no minimaps

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Minimaps are good, but no compass

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • I like both, minimaps and compass

Votes: 24 28.9%

• Total voters

Darkzone

Arcane
All compases and minimaps should be gone, but the level designers got to have to use the right level design principles to indicate indirectly the directions, like lighting and moss on trees and ect.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Depending on the game, a minimap isn't always necessary (sometimes it is) and i'd prefer good directions toward your objectives rather than a compass.

Both should be optional, according you get good directions, an auto map you can consult anytime and a potent quest log.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Should RPGs have minimaps?

I think minimaps should require a character skill to activate. I.e. Eagles Eye spell ala Might and Magic.

Or something like this

serveimage

Make it something worth adventuring after. Maybe even split it up in pieces and make it a proper treasure hunt. That way, when you get to staring at the data that the map lays out before you, your enrichment and gaming enjoyment will be rewarded AND earned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom