Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Infinitron, Mar 1, 2013.

1. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    I can't hate on the guy that had a hand in Ultima games and was the first space tourist, but then I read shit like this:

And it reminds me of Tabula Rasa and that Gariott haven't done anything worthy of note since 1999. It's sad that this trainwreck has long crossed the line that makes it rather depressing instead of being mildly entertaining (akin to Scam Citizen and the like).

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    taxalot was doing this before it was cool: http://ultimacodex.com/2018/10/shroud-of-the-avatar-update-of-the-avatar-303/

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Sergorn's list of towns is the most brilliant demonstration of how incomplete the game is despite Portalarium telling otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Eggs is eggs Learned

Eggs is eggs
    I read the comments section of Golem Dragon's article on the Codex and saw multiple people mention that Richard Garriott is not involved with development or management anymore and is just a figurehead of the game at this point. Devs and staff reportedly ignore any suggestions he makes. Makes sense that they removed his CEO title and he is just "Creative Director/Founder." It wouldn't surprise me if RG's parting of ways with Portalarium was one of the cost cutting measures the company took when they laid off half of the staff recently.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. grimace Erudite

grimace
    This is now a Chris Spears game featuring Starr Long's character Darkstarr.

Lord British may return for Episode 2 to role play in his castle.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    i just tried this and it is amazing! awesome! this is the best thing the year 2003 has to offer.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Sad x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron Dumbfuck

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, but what the fuck happened to Garriott? Was the original turned into slurry and fed to Gargoyles and what we have is a badly programmed simulacrum? Is this the same guy who wrote the narrative to my childhood? It's just very sad - I can't even bring myself to be angry any more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Garriott went behind the times. That is all. He woke up to a world where everybody had already expanded on his ideas and simply couldn't outdo them in anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Eggs is eggs Learned

Eggs is eggs
    It reminds me of what happened to George Lucas. When they were young, hungry, talented and working with an amazing group of people, they created groundbreaking pieces of art. Then they got older, bought into their own hype, got surrounded by yes men and fans, stopped working with great talent and lost their magic.

Garriott always seems to neglect to mention all the talented people he worked with at Origin for the classic Ultimas. Not coincidentally, around the time EA bought Origin and the company expanded most of the original staff left and they stopped making good games.

^ Top  
  10. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    nope, not even close. if you heard what truly happened behind the curtains you knew every day was lucas "hey guys, what if [the most retarded crap you've ever heard]" and people around him "yes, sure, clever boy, but we'll do that later". once you got full control for lucas you got jar jar and midichlorian.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    He’s got a doctorate? Ultimate ULTIMA...

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    "Honorary" doctorate most likely.

Zep--

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Eggs is eggs Learned

Eggs is eggs
    According to wikipedia: Garriott received an Honorary Doctorate of Science from Queen Mary University London in 2011.

It is generally frowned upon in the academic community for people with honorary doctorates to address themselves as Dr.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Capture d’écran_2018-11-08_18-13-46.png

• WTF am I reading x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    So.

Is it technically cheaper to play the game than it is to post on their forums.

Oh wow.

They lure you in with false promise of fun that pisses you off only to charge for the privilege of complaining about it.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. grimace Erudite

grimace

https://www.youtube com/watch?v=XUihkeipgWA

Here's a fairly fair and mostly balanced review from a player who didn't spend money for any "cosmetic" items.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    [​IMG]

You know what to do.

• Funny x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    https://massivelyop.com/2018/11/28/...-taken-over-european-publishing-from-travian/

Uh oh.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    I like how they say they have taken over when we all know Travian just gave up on them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. grimace Erudite

grimace
    Curious about the Russian publisher Black Sun.

The Russian website:
    https://sota-game.com/shop

Partnership with Black Sun Game Publishing
    May 10, 2017

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=72007

Show Spoiler

Press Release AUSTIN, Texas, May 10, 2017:

Portalarium®, an Austin-based game developer, today announced the completion of a deal with Black Sun Game Publishing in Moscow, to publish and operate Shroud of the Avatar™: Forsaken Virtues in Russia, the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) and the Baltic States. Shroud of the Avatar is the spiritual successor to the hugely successful Ultima series of fantasy role-playing games created by legendary game designer Richard Garriott. The game is one of the largest crowd funded games ever, with more than $11.3 million raised since early 2013.

Shroud combines a single-player narrative story with a sandbox massively multiplayer online (MMO) experience. The production team includes Executive Producer Starr Long, who along with Garriott helped produce the groundbreaking Ultima Online MMO and New York Times bestselling author Tracy Hickman, who wrote the popular Dragonlance fantasy novels.

“We are extremely pleased to announce this deal with Black Sun Game Publishing,” said Portalarium CEO Richard Garriott. “We have a large and growing fan base in Russia and the surrounding countries. The Black Sun team is experienced and enthusiastic. They know their regional gaming community well and are ideally suited to bring Shroud of the Avatar to a very eager fan base.”

“It is a great honor for us to work with Richard Garriott, a legend of the games industry, and his team,” exclaimed Black Sun CEO Alex Yarovit. “There are many fans of his games, especially the Ultima series in Russia, the CIS, and the Baltic States. Shroud of the Avatar takes a lot of Richard’s hallmark RPG design principals and brings them up to date in a modern MMO and single player experience. We are looking forward to working further with Lord British and providing his newest creation to all Russian-speaking players. New Britannia beckons!”

Shroud of the Avatar’s crowdfunded campaign began in 2013. It remains in early access but it continues to generate monthly content updates to its backers. The game has now reached 41 straight months of continuous play without a single server crash. Currently with more than $11.3 million in crowd funding, Shroud is the second highest fully crowd funded game ever.

About Portalarium

Portalarium headquarters is in Austin, Texas. The company was co-founded by legendary game developer Richard Garriott, who created Ultima, one of the longest running and most successful fantasy role playing game series ever. The company is currently developing its next game, the crowd funded Shroud of the Avatar. In addition to backers with financial contributions, the SotA community may also participate with art, sound, music and even design participation in the main game. This a game created for the community and with the community.

About Black Sun Game Publishing

[​IMG]

Black Sun Game Publishing (BSGP) is a Russian video game publisher that was established in 2014. The company develops and publishes only high-quality and interesting projects in Russia, the CIS countries, and China. BSGP’s top priority is to work with games that are unique to the industry and that can be called works of art on PCs and mobile platforms. BSGP also plans to tap into the console market.

Company website: http://bs-gp.com/

Russian game website: http://sota-game.com/

Press release can also be found on Gamasutra.

^ Top  
  22. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    SOTA runs on unity, that's all I need to know

• rolleyes rolleyes x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Junmarko Arcane Patron

Junmarko
    taxalot - What is Spoony waiting for I wonder. Surprised he hasn't dropped a bomb at this point with it going F2P.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Bocian Arcane

Bocian
    racist!!!!!!

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    If he values his mental health, he should stay clear of everything SOTA. I hear he has bigger issues to deal with.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.